Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to work out how it get the voltage it does before doing it, want to make sure it won't cause any problems, I thought it was 12.8v but got told 14.5 but not sure how it gets that voltage. I will have to get a new AA battery tray to modify it, want to keep the one we have for alkalines.
probably be a month or more before I can do anything though, depends how soon we can find a house & move.

ozziii said:
I need to work out how it get the voltage it does before doing it, want to make sure it won't cause any problems, I thought it was 12.8v but got told 14.5 but not sure how it gets that voltage. I will have to get a new AA battery tray to modify it, want to keep the one we have for alkalines.
probably be a month or more before I can do anything though, depends how soon we can find a house & move.

Well maybe they are 3.7 volts each which would give you 14.8, I don't know what they have done so its impossible to tell,

On that mod I posted I have another Idea regarding the 9th battery to make taking it out easier to charge it, or I might do a mod so it will fit straight in to the factory charger.

But my mod gave me about 6 hours 38 minutes using 2650 mah batteries so with 2900s will give about 7.5 to 8 hours,

john

No just 3.2v as they are LiFe cells not LiPo. Normally a LiFePO4 cell is 3.3v & LiPo 3.7v, but these LiFe AA cells are 3.2v, might be because of the small size. I use 2s 6.6v LiFe cells in my RC nitro buggies for radio receiver & throttle & steering servo's, they are a safer option than LiPo.

ozziii said:
No just 3.2v as they are LiFe cells not LiPo. Normally a LiFePO4 cell is 3.3v & LiPo 3.7v, but these LiFe AA cells are 3.2v, might be because of the small size. I use 2s 6.6v LiFe cells in my RC nitro buggies for radio receiver & throttle & steering servo's, they are a safer option than LiPo.

Cool mate, I have not seem any of those around here,

The 2s means 2 cell, so with a LiFe pack its 2x 3.3v = 6v, similar, LiPo 2s pack is 2x 3.7v, so 7.4v. They use LiPo cells in electric RC offroad buggy racing, 2s for 1/10 scale & 4s for 1/8 scale. They would be good for detectors but would be too big to fit.
LiFe is lithium ferrite I think, LiPo is lithium poly.

Been looking through the 2014 JayCar catalogue at batteries, noticed they have 1.5v Eclipse Lithium batteries which are the LiFe batteries, I thought the LiFe versions were Lithium Ferrite but in the book it says they are Lithium Iron Disulfide (LiFeS2), (maybe the LiFePO4 are ferrite), so not Lithium Poly or Lithium Ion.
They are not rechargeable but are cheaper than the Energizer Lithium batteries & have a capacity of 3000mAh, a max pulse of 3000mAh & a constant load of 2000mAh.
$15 for a 4 pack & cheaper if you buy in bulk of 10+ or 15+ packs. Not sure if prices are still the same as its last years catalogue.
They might be worth a try for anyone using the Energizer Lithiums or other AA alkaline batteries.

EDIT:
LiFePO4 is Lithium Iron Phosphate.

ozziii said:
Been looking through the 2014 JayCar catalogue at batteries, noticed they have 1.5v Eclipse Lithium batteries which are the LiFe batteries, I thought the LiFe versions were Lithium Ferrite but in the book it says they are Lithium Iron Disulfide (LiFeS2), (maybe the LiFePO4 are ferrite), so not Lithium Poly or Lithium Ion.
They are not rechargeable but are cheaper than the Energizer Lithium batteries & have a capacity of 3000mAh, a max pulse of 3000mAh & a constant load of 2000mAh.
$15 for a 4 pack & cheaper if you buy in bulk of 10+ or 15+ packs. Not sure if prices are still the same as its last years catalogue.
They might be worth a try for anyone using the Energizer Lithiums or other AA alkaline batteries.

EDIT:
LiFePO4 is Lithium Iron Phosphate.

There are Four reasons to use Energizer Lithium Batteries, 1) the Voltage is around 1.83 volts per battery, 2) They will run the TDI SL for up to 9 or 10 Hours, 3) They have the most Extreme temperature range of Any Battery Made, 4) and they are guaranteed NOT to leak.

The Average voltage of 8 of these batteries = 14.64 volts and that keeps the SPP/SL running close to perfect.

john

Hey John, the only reason I got 9-10 hours before they dropped to 10+ volts was I found out afterwards with the multimeter that 1 cell/battery have failed reading @ 4v, the other 7 were still reading 12.7 v and I'm using them in my remotes at home.
My next detecting trip (whenever I get the chance) I plan to use my RB Longreach 14x9 for extra depth on smaller targets, haven't used this coil apart from a quick test in the field, I will definitely buy some Energizer Lithium Batteries and have 4 spare along with the multimeter so I can monitor how they're going, I'm confident I'll get the whole weekend out of them and still have around 12v if any don't fail.
I think this setup will give me the most power and punch without having to recharge every 3-4 hours, but will have my RnB pack as backup.

Last weekend I used my RnB 3100 mah pack and after 3 hours it dropped from 12.87v to 11.3v, I would head back to my ute for a break after 3 hours and put the multimeter on it then charge it up while taking a half hour break.

ProspectorPete said:
Hey John, the only reason I got 9-10 hours before they dropped to 10+ volts was I found out afterwards with the multimeter that 1 cell/battery have failed reading @ 4v, the other 7 were still reading 12.7 v and I'm using them in my remotes at home.
My next detecting trip (whenever I get the chance) I plan to use my RB Longreach 14x9 for extra depth on smaller targets, haven't used this coil apart from a quick test in the field, I will definitely buy some Energizer Lithium Batteries and have 4 spare along with the multimeter so I can monitor how they're going, I'm confident I'll get the whole weekend out of them and still have around 12v if any don't fail.
I think this setup will give me the most power and punch without having to recharge every 3-4 hours, but will have my RnB pack as backup.

Last weekend I used my RnB 3100 mah pack and after 3 hours it dropped from 12.87v to 11.3v, I would head back to my ute for a break after 3 hours and put the multimeter on it then charge it up while taking a half hour break.

Cool, so really it was running on 7 batteries for most of the time, I would like to see the out come of a good set of batteries, I thought that 3100 was meant to be the ultimate battery pack, So far it does not seem any different than my 9 x 2650s because that starts out at 13+ volts and goes for 6 hour 38 minutes, if you can get then genuine 2900s from PT then I am sure it will be up around 7.5 to 8 hours,

I knew those Energizer's were good because I have used them in other gizmo's but the TDI's are the only high draw thing I have and as of yet I have not been able to get out and test them for my self, But every other thing more than doubled in run time and some things went on to run more than 7 times longer,

Thanks for the update Pete, Top Man,

john

These Eclipse batteries are lithium as well though, just LiFeS2, not Lithium ion, I don't know what the actual voltage is when new but being lithium then it might be higher than is stated as other LiFe batteries I have show a higher voltage when fully charged, just like the Energizers, thats why I said they might be worth a try for those using Energizer Lithiums. Just an ulturnative.
In the book it says they have 5-6 times the capacity of their alkaline equivalents & LiFe cells are much more stable than other lithium cells.

ozziii said:
These Eclipse batteries are lithium as well though, just LiFeS2, not Lithium ion, I don't know what the actual voltage is when new but being lithium then it might be higher than is stated as other LiFe batteries I have show a higher voltage when fully charged, just like the Energizers, thats why I said they might be worth a try for those using Energizer Lithiums. Just an ulturnative.
In the book it says they have 5-6 times the capacity of their alkaline equivalents & LiFe cells are much more stable than other lithium cells.

Sounds good mate, let us know how they work out, because we all need to find something to boost the power/run time.

john

thedigger said:
Hi Daryl
The higher the voltage,the lower the current.
I have fitted 2 sets 3.7v of lithium ion in parallel,that puts out about 15v fully charged.

Regards Frank

I have finally found someone that can do this mod for me. What Mah should the batteries be?
Can anyone help out?

Hard Luck said:
thedigger said:
Hi Daryl
I have fitted 2 sets 3.7v of lithium ion in parallel,that puts out about 15v fully charged.

Regards Frank

I have finally found someone that can do this mod for me. What Mah should the batteries be?
Can anyone help out?

Well I would aim for 3400s or even 4100s if you can find them.

john

Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
thedigger said:
Hi Daryl

Regards Frank

Can anyone help out?

Well I would aim for 3400s or even 4100s if you can find them.

john

Cheers John,
I'll start looking around for some.

Hard Luck said:
thedigger said:
Hi Daryl

Regards Frank

Can anyone help out?

The picture I posted the other day is what "the digger" is using now in his SPP, that's his battery set up, he showed it to me last week at Creswick & sent that pic to me so I could try to make one. He's using the 3.2v LiFe batteries though, not 3.7v.

I'm not sure if everyone else is getting the message here but I am.

There is a hell of a market for an up-graded battery slide fitted with a slide that gives the 15V that Frank has mentioned.

I'm hearing you SunriseBoy, there sure is. Surely every SL/SPP owner and future owner in OZ would pay for a better recharge battery pack that's going to last longer and give the detector better depth, it's a no brainer but it's getting someone here in OZ to commit to making them. Seems they have them in the USA but shipping doesn't seem an option.
I'm far from tech minded so no skills to do it but I'd happily put my name down for a pack if anyone comes up with a good pack.

ozziii said:
Hard Luck said:
thedigger said:
Hi Daryl

Regards Frank

Can anyone help out?

The picture I posted the other day is what "the digger" is using now in his SPP, that's his battery set up, he showed it to me last week at Creswick & sent that pic to me so I could try to make one. He's using the 3.2v LiFe batteries though, not 3.7v.

I hear you ozziii. I too had a chat to thedigger last weekend at Creswick and he showed me the pack as well. And he did say 3.2v batteries should be used.
Just wondering if this post here is a typo. Maybe thedigger can chime into the conversation and clarify it.
Would there be any problems with using 3.7v as opposed to 3.2v?

I just want to make sure I get the right battery.

Has anyone done any depth/sensitivity tests at 14V vs 11V and proven that performance does in fact drop off with voltage drop??

If run time is an issue I'd be running a hip mounted 12v 7ah gell cell.

PhaseTech said:
Has anyone done any depth/sensitivity tests at 14V vs 11V and proven that performance does in fact drop off with voltage drop??

If run time is an issue I'd be running a hip mounted 12v 7ah gell cell.

I did using 8 x 2650s and 9 x2700s, and personally I did not see hardly any difference but I got the Longer run times of 6 hours 38 minutes, Which is why I tell everyone to Buy Your 2900s because they will get about 8 hours from them,

Prospector Pete did A Fine job using those Energizer Lithium disposable batteries running at 14.8 volts and he got really good run times and much Sharper Signals and It did boost the depth a little,

john

Latest posts