Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SunriseBoy said:
As of now, it's been my experience that not using head-phones is much more comfortable. I can hear the threshold and any bips on the speaker. Is there an advantage, power-wise in using headphones?

Depending on the machine using headphones can add up to 20 to 30% even up to 50% more run time and But the worse thing about NOT using headphones is you will miss Very faint signals because of out side noises, and even running booster you will still miss faint targets and the extra run time is just an added bonus.

The reason for wearing headphones in the first place is to block out External noises like crickets, wind, birds, aircraft and the list goes on, But the Climate in OZ does little to promote the use of headphones but in winter they are good for keeping your Beanie on ya head and keeping your ears warm at the same time, I tested it out and it's good for -12c,,, lol.

Yeah...I seem to be able to hear very faint signals even though I've got bad tinnitus. So I'm still holding off with that.

Do you know if a set is available that only has one phone. I prefer to have an ear out to what's going on around me.

mbasko said:
ozziii said:
Question, will running a higher voltage make EMI more noticeable.?

Today we tried using the 1.5v alkaline batteries, I checked the voltage output from the battery tray & it was 13.31v.
When I turned detector on there was noticeable interference, more than I've had before even when near a mobile phone tower & HV power lines, but the place we were at didn't have that around, only normal power lines about 200m away.
If I turned gain down to just above half way it was ok but still made a slight warble here & there but turning gain to 3/4 or more caused more interference noise & was harder to tune. As this was the first time we used batteries with a higher voltage I was just wondering if that would have something to do with it. I couldn't try the rechargeable pack as we left it at home.

Thanks.
Not sure if your using the speaker or use headphones but just a thought here & KarlS may be able to expand or debunk it but I am thinking if the speaker etc. is run unregulated from the power supply, whatever choice you make re: voltage, then wouldn't any increase in voltage (which in turn increases current) also increase or amplify sound/noise? This might be leading to a perception of better depth due to increased target volume or increase unwanted noise/s much like inline boosters/amps such as the B&Z, Rooster Booster etc. can/do.
Also depending on what the speaker is rated at voltage wise it may also be another opportunity to "let the smoke out" of something if the speakers voltage is exceeded - although probably unlikely?

With boosters they have a volume control to adjust with & not entirely sure of the electronics behind a straight thru speaker with no volume control? Just thinking an increase in voltage may = an increase in volume/noise?

I think I'm going to bore you guys to death, but here it goes. I will try to explain it as simple as I can. After the signal from the coil is amplified and processed, you will have final signal that you want to hear as a sound.. But that signal is very small and if you conect it to the speaker you will hear nothing. So it is connected to the amplifier IC. That got input, power supply, gain and output pins. Power supply is usualy connected to full batter voltage. Gain will set up by how much is the input signal increased. If you connect variable resistor ( Pot) to gain pins you will be able adjust level of sound coming out of speaker ( Volume pot or knob). On the SPP the gain is set by fixed resistor and it is not adjustable.
Now we will consider what effect will increase in battery voltage have on sound output. First I have to introduce concept of Dynamic range. This is best done by example. Let's say that you are using standart 9.6 Volts battery and when you pass coil over tiny bit of gold the signal on the input of the amplifier will be 0.1 Volts and when you pass the over huge chunk of gold you will get signal of 1 Volts. You set up the gain of you amplifier to 15 times. Now when you sweep over the tiny bit of gold the speaker will get 0.1 x 15=1.5 Volts and you will clearly hear it. Now you swept the coil over the large chunk of gold 1 x 15=15 Volts. Oops, but we only got 9.6 Volts. Resulting signal will be clipped at 9.6 V and the sound from the speaker will be distorted. By using 16 Volts battery pack there would be sufficient voltage to alow the signal to swing Al the way to 15 V and the sound will not be distorted. Please note this is example how it works and got nothing to do with actual gain setting on SPP.
From this it should be clear that on SPP increase in battery voltage will not increase the volume but it may result in cleaner sound. It will not increase noise. It will not increase EMI but EMI may sound bit different.
Any increase in detection depth with higher battery voltage is a result of increase in power of the pulse emitted by the coil.
Main advantage of having external amplifier (Booster)is the ability to increase volume of very low signals at expense of increasing the noise and introducing distortion on high levels of signal.
Good night to those of you who did not fell to sleep already.
Karl

What Karl has described is what Prospector Pete said when he Test Drove His SL using those Energizer Lithium Batteries that gave him over 14.6 Volts as in It, The Depth Gained is because of the signal was more defined due to the machine running at peak levels,

Good Job Karl,

In A Crude Way:-??
Another thing to remember is with a VLF it sends a constant signal in to the Ground and it listens for the change in frequency that bounces back to the coil and that is how it tells us something is there, (In Crude Terms).
But with a PI Machine ? In easy terms you Need to think of something more like a Submarines Sonar, It Fires a Pulse (BING) and turns its self Off and Listens for the Return Signal and when it Finds Something that Pulse Charges that Item and that voltage then Returns (Bounces) Back to the Coil and that change in Voltage is what the PI Hears, as where a Submarine does this every few Seconds a PI Machine will do this thousands of times a second,

john

SunriseBoy said:
As of now, it's been my experience that not using head-phones is much more comfortable. I can hear the threshold and any bips on the speaker. Is there an advantage, power-wise in using headphones?

I use earphones in one ear only. I don't fancy wandering around in bush with headphones, not hearing what's going on around me.
There is definitive run time increase when not using speaker.
Karl

Thanks for that Karl. I agree with that. When I had my Garrett AT Pro, I found using h/phones on the beach/parks, that I felt cut off too much from what was around me. And if there's a snake in the scrub hissing at me...I want to be the first one to hear it.

I was casting about asking if someone knew where I could source a set, with only one headphone.

SunriseBoy said:
Thanks for that Karl. I agree with that. When I had my Garrett AT Pro, I found using h/phones on the beach/parks, that I felt cut off too much from what was around me. And if there's a snake in the scrub hissing at me...I want to be the first one to hear it.

I was casting about asking if someone knew where I could source a set, with only one headphone.

Did you not see the link I posted for you ??

Thanks for all the info fella's, its all good & all helps, even if it takes a bit to sink in,haha.
Them headphones look good, think I'd prefer just the one side myself as I like to also hear whats around me when out bush, probably from when I was doing some deer & wild dog hunting, them wild dogs are sneaky buggers.

Regarding the Headphones,

I have a pair of SunRay Pro's and I was originally concerned with not hearing my surroundings with them on but seriously with the Threshold set to "just" audible on the detector and the limiter switched on the headphones to help reduce the "screamers" I actually think there's no loss of awareness at all, I can hear someone or something within 50 meters no problem at all even though I suffer from Tinnitus from years in bands. The only thing I don't like about headphones is they get hot around the ears and they're a pain in the butt when Digging targets or trying to do a detecting video, otherwise they're great.
I have no problem talking to people while wearing them with the threshold on.

I wish I had such good hearing. If I wear muffs, I can't hear anything around me. Hence, I'd like a set with one muff.

SunriseBoy said:
I wish I had such good hearing. If I wear muffs, I can't hear anything around me. Hence, I'd like a set with one muff.

By the sound of it you need to get a Nokta Fors Core because the handle Vibrates when you find a Target, even Tiny ones.

That had crossed my mind.

Has that device you are waiting for showed up at the shop yet?

And yeah, I was knocked up a bit. I had to go and take a Siesta. Hell, I really am getting close to 70!

SunriseBoy said:
That had crossed my mind.

Has that device you are waiting for showed up at the shop yet?

And yeah, I was knocked up a bit. I had to go and take a Siesta. Hell, I really am getting close to 70!

Well they said it should have been there on Friday and I rang them and they are trying to track it, this is the 4th Item I have ordered that has gone missing in as many months, I have a Package from the US been delivered to the wrong address Only they are trying to say that they delivered it to me and A Package from Miner John in the US got delivered to the wrong address Today and I had to go and retrieve it, and I had a box set of Rare Eddie Cochran CD's go missing and they delivered to the wrong house, so It is getting a bit thin with me know,

Re the headphones,
On the spp I found headphones were not as important as on a minelab as the audio is much louder and the target response from the spp was more pronounced (more of a zip zip signal), even when very faint it would still pull you up to investigate as long as you had a very slow sweep speed.
Regards Daryl :)

Ridge Runner said:
By the sound of it you need to get a Nokta Fors Core because the handle Vibrates when you find a Target, even Tiny ones.

FYI, any detector can be modified to have this feature.

It just requires the addition of an aftermarket "handle", available in different sizes to suit, and now available almost anywhere these days.

I don't think I'd be allowed to post a photo, though.

Yeah..I've been thinking about this. The audio is really pretty good. It's clear and has plenty of volume; so I might just let it ride for a bit. B

But I like the idea of the vibrating handle.

Nuggetbuster said:
Ridge Runner said:

FYI, any detector can be modified to have this feature.

It just requires the addition of an aftermarket "handle", available in different sizes to suit, and now available almost anywhere these days.

I don't think I'd be allowed to post a photo, though.

Yes any machine can be adapted, but the point of my post was to point out that Nokta invented it and to date the only company that makes one, which means that Now Deaf People can Go Detecting.

Latest posts