Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SunriseBoy said:
Yeah..I've been thinking about this. The audio is really pretty good. It's clear and has plenty of volume; so I might just let it ride for a bit. B

But I like the idea of the vibrating handle.

Well you might want to have a look at Steve H's review on his forum.

Ridge runner said:
Yes any machine can be adapted, but the point of my post was to point out that Nokta invented it and to date the only company that makes one, which means that Now Deaf People can Go Detecting.

Point taken :)

I wish Dilek and her crew would teach the 'other' mobs making detectors, how to communicate with the public and develop design, instead of standing on their Delta-Indigo-Charlie-Kilos!!!

Nuggetbuster said:
Ridge runner said:
Yes any machine can be adapted, but the point of my post was to point out that Nokta invented it and to date the only company that makes one, which means that Now Deaf People can Go Detecting.

Point taken :)

To be honest I have never thought about Deaf People wanting to metal detect and it was Steve H who mentioned this in his review, If all the companies did this then it might just encourage those with hearing problems to join in which would pretty cool I think,

So like I've said I've found someone that can do the mod for me but am getting mixed results from this thread.
Should I go for 3.2 or 3.7 volt batteries and up to what Mah rating can I use.
I don't want to fry my SPP. :/

Cheers all

Hard Luck said:
So like I've said I've found someone that can do the mod for me but am getting mixed results from this thread.

Cheers all

I would try and get the 3400s or bigger and all that means is you have a longer power supply (Run Time) and get 4 fitted in the pack because that will give you 14.8 volts and your machine can safely handle 16 volts, Ok.

John

Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:

Cheers all

I would try and get the 3400s or bigger and all that means is you have a longer power supply (Run Time) and get 4 fitted in the pack because that will give you 14.8 volts and your machine can safely handle 16 volts, Ok.

John

John
Am I not supposed to get 8 batteries?

Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:

Cheers all

John

John

Sorry Mate I thought the 3.7s were the 18650s, Yes you need 8x 3.7s,,,,2 sets of 4 wired in parallel to give you the run time because they are only 600 mah from looking at that picture, but that will only add up to 1200 mah so I am not sure about the run time at 1200 mah I would only expect 2 hours 10 minutes, Of coarse I could be wrong, but there is something about this set up that I don't trust and the lack of correct info.

john

Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:

Cheers all

John

John

Sorry Mate I thought the 3.7s were the 18650s, Yes you need 8x 3.7s,,,,2 sets of 4 wired in parallel to give you the run time because they are only 600 mah from looking at that picture, but that will only add up to 1200 mah so I am not sure about the run time at 1200 mah I would only expect 2 hours 10 minutes, Of coarse I could be wrong, but there is something about this set up that I don't trust and the lack of correct info.

john

So a 4000 mah x 3.7 x 8 batteries would be fine then?

Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:

Cheers all

John

John

john

So a 4000 mah x 3.7 x 8 batteries would be fine then?

Yeah mate you should get 10 or 12 hours or more from them.

john

Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:

Cheers all

John

John

john

The 600 mAh batteries in the picture I posted are not 3.7v lithium ion batteries, they are LiFe batteries, (different sort of lithium) & only 3.2v.
The highest mAh rated 3.2v LiFe batteries I have found on Ebay are 1500mAh so 8 of the in parallel would make 3000mAh from what you have said. (3x 600mAh in parallel = 1200mAh).
8x 3.2v ran in parallel which is what I would say Frank (the digger) has done with his battery tray would be 12.8v, maybe a little more when fully charged with no load, which is most likely the 14.5v which was mentioned to me.
As I don't know much about the wiring etc, I can only go by the pic & what I was shown & told which is that the centre battery contact at the top of the pic was cut in half & then wires attached. Looks like a wire goes from the far left contact to the centre right & the other wire goes from the far right contact to the centre left. Batteries are installed the same way as is pictured on the inside of the tray so I guess the wiring makes it so the batteries are ran in parallel to get the correct voltage.
Maybe someone with more knowledge could dummy up a setup like this a work out what voltage would be achieved using both the LiFe 3.2v & Lithium ion 3.7v batteries, I would but I don't really know what I'm doing.

All batteries I am talking about are the AA size, (model 14500), not the bigger 18650 model.

ozziii said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:

Cheers all

John

John

john

The 600 mAh batteries in the picture I posted are not 3.7v lithium ion batteries, they are LiFe batteries, (different sort of lithium) & only 3.2v.
The highest mAh rated 3.2v LiFe batteries I have found on Ebay are 1500mAh so 8 of the in parallel would make 3000mAh from what you have said. (3x 600mAh in parallel = 1200mAh).
8x 3.2v ran in parallel which is what I would say Frank (the digger) has done with his battery tray would be 12.8v, maybe a little more when fully charged with no load, which is most likely the 14.5v which was mentioned to me.
As I don't know much about the wiring etc, I can only go by the pic & what I was shown & told which is that the centre battery contact at the top of the pic was cut in half & then wires attached. Looks like a wire goes from the far left contact to the centre right & the other wire goes from the far right contact to the centre left. Batteries are installed the same way as is pictured on the inside of the tray so I guess the wiring makes it so the batteries are ran in parallel to get the correct voltage.
Maybe someone with more knowledge could dummy up a setup like this a work out what voltage would be achieved using both the LiFe 3.2v & Lithium ion 3.7v batteries, I would but I don't really know what I'm doing.

All batteries I am talking about are the AA size, (model 14500), not the bigger 18650 model.

Just to confirm. I am talking about lithium iron batteries.

ozziii said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:

Cheers all

John

John

john

Well that will still give you about 8 hours and the extra voltage will sharpen up the signals so I would grab it with both hands, Because that is more like the run time you need and then use the factory pack as a back up for really long days, I just ordered another Pack for the pro, but I see in OZ they do one that's about 6400mah I would not mind a couple of them,

I think that set up you are looking at should be all you need and you could always grab another for a spare, Aye.

john

Hard Luck said:
ozziii said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:

John

John

john

Just to confirm. I am talking about lithium iron batteries.

Yep the 3.7v versions, they should give you the higher power you're after, the 3.2v LiFe batteries are just a good alternative.
Using the 8x 3.7v in the parallel setup (2 sets of 4 like RR mentioned) for 14.8v would be good, I was just worried about the fully charged voltage being too high, but if that drops to under 16v when load is applied then it should be fine. If that works alright then that what I would be interested in doing myself, as long as the fully charged power output wouldn't cause any damage.

Is there any way to test what the voltage output would be once its installed in the detector & turned on.?

Just watch what charger you use, the battery pack in the tdi pro is 8x 18650 cells, maybe you can use their charger but just find out what the fully charged voltage is first?
All my chargers for lithium batteries give them 4.2v for a single cell at full charge and it takes a bit of use before they are back near their 3.7v rating.

I have a charger that I can use for pretty much all different batteries, I use it for charging the 6.6v LiFePO4 batteries that I use in my 1/8 scale radio control nitro buggies. They need the batteries for the radio control & receiver & run the steering & throttle servo's, would be great if they were small enough to use in the detector but they are a bit big. A small 4s 13.2v LiFePO4 would be alright if they were made small enough.

Pulled apart an old computer battery (laptop) on the weekend, got 6x 18650 batteries from it. On the battery pack it said 11.1v, 4000mAh, so whats the best way of working out the mAh rating of each battery. The multi metre I have is just a cheap crappy one & doesn't have a way to tell what the mAh rating is, not even sure if any multi metre's can but then I don't know much about them so maybe some can.

Because the voltage is close to half of the total voltage of the 6x 18650 (6x 3.7v = 23.1v) batteries would that make the mAh rating of each battery around half of the total mAh output, so maybe 2000mAh for each battery.
If I can't end up making a battery pack for the detector to use them then atleast I have some extras for my little torch.

Thanks for any help.
Paul.

Latest posts