Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SPP is a killer machine for the $... can't really go wrong.. only better option is the TDI Pro, ATX, SDC.. :)

Dazza you could try 'reef hills' just out of Benalla a few nice nuggets have come from this area not sure exactly iv been there myself and done quite a lot of sampling but not much to show' but there's always someone around there with a detector.

To all the SPP users, that ground balance issue, is it better with a dd coil? Also how many turn is the gb pot?

PhaseTech said:
To all the SPP users, that ground balance issue, is it better with a dd coil? Also how many turn is the gb pot?

GB pot is just one turn. I have occasionally experienced ground balancing problem with DD COILS (Commander 10x5 and 11). I have not had any problems yet with TDI OZ mono coil.
Karl

I just got back from a weeks trip at the beach. I used the SPP most of the time and when in the water i used the CTX 3030. I found i liked to grab the SPP, because it was so light and goes very deep with the 12" coil and covered good ground. The SPP ran very good on the beach and i found small ear rings, coins and a silver ring, but be prepared to dig some deep junk. Don't swing to fast on the beach, slow and steady. Listen for those little quiet signals they are very deep targets. Interesting i never found much foil? which is good.

I had the chance to operate the SPP in gold fields on the way home. The SPP ground balanced and operated fine in the mineralised soils. Occassionally it gave a LOW tone growl on some patches.

All in all its a great little machine and very versatile as well.

I would like to put a straight shaft on the machine, this would finish it off a little better. :)

I agree Roscoe a straight shaft would be nice' every now and then one turns up on eBay for about $50.

Well I finally ordered an spp, just need to wait now....
What's the general opinion of the standard 12inch coil ?

And a BIG thank you to everyone who replied.

Dazza, I used my 8 inch commander mono in the goldfields. I don't like spoked coils in the bush, always catching to much sticks etc. But at the beach the 12" coil stayed on all the time. The 12" coil is so light weight it was a dream to use and found some very small ear rings deep. :)

Hi. Dazza. The 12" is a very good and sensitive to small stuff coil. Tis a bit of a pain because of the spokes, but we could probably get a solid cover for it somewhere. What I really like about this coil is the weight. Very light for a 12". Makes the SPP a pleasure to swing. I use a DTECH 8" mono round for getting in and around tight bush. Good coil. Bit sensitive to hot rocks though I have found.

Good point Phase Tech. Will check it out. Can you tell me though, does adding an extra thickness of plastic to the coil base cause any loss of depth and sensitivity????

It would be so insignificant it's not worth worrying about. Keeping the coil even a cm away from hotrocks can significantly reduce their response, so if anything, will probably make the detector run smoother.

ronniecruisin said:
Hi. Dazza. The 12" is a very good and sensitive to small stuff coil. Tis a bit of a pain because of the spokes, but we could probably get a solid cover for it somewhere. What I really like about this coil is the weight. Very light for a 12". Makes the SPP a pleasure to swing. I use a DTECH 8" mono round for getting in and around tight bush. Good coil. Bit sensitive to hot rocks though I have found.

Iv'e nearly worn through my second skid plate on my old explorer, have always slid and bashed the original coil through the sticks and rocks in the bush coin hunting (it's a tough old coil) and the shaft joiners are nearly buggerd too! Never used pi machines much but I do remember them being a bit noisey if I bumped them to hard (2100 & 2200)

How is the 12 inch mono supplied for noise when bumped or slid around?

Good thinking phasetech, I might check that 12" NF skid plate out thanks. Dazza, I found my skid plates wear rapidly in the goldfields. It seams more so in high quartz strewn areas. My coil is always touching the ground though. :)

Hi. Dazza. The standard 12" on the SPP is very good when bumped on things. Mine's quite as a mouse. Great coil Whites. Good match for this machine.

I have noticed how fast the auto tune speed is on the SPP, after using the machine with the ground balance off. Having used a GMT with variable self adjust auto tune and the effects that this adjustment has on targets in relation to sweep speed. I decided today to bury some small gold nuggets and test the effects of sweep speed on these targets. I found that small sub gram nuggets at dept would be just about cancelled out if the sweep speed was to slow. I think that users of the SPP would benefit from bury some small targets and test the effects of sweep speeds on the these targets to obtain the optimum sweep speed of there machines.

Anyway just thought it would be good point to bring up for SPP owners and maybe you have done some testing on different targets your self. I find the Auto tune on the SPP quiet fast and this ability that allows it to operate with GEB off in areas, but i feel this fast auto tune speed could be canceling small targets if sweep speeds are to slow and a slightly faster sweep speed seemed to brighten the signals. :)

Latest posts