Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using the 12" whites coil, i retested with a commander 8" and it picks up fine with a very slow coil sweep on the same targets. Maybe the 12" whites coil likes a slightly faster sweep speed? Anyway, i will have to test out more coils and see what they do. :)

I come to conclusion that SPP works better with coils build for TDI detectors. It may be because Minelab type coils got much lower DC resistance then White's. Most of TDI coils will not work on Minelab according to Miners John..
Karl

Karl, I think you made a good point there. I have tried different coils with the SPP and i feel the whites coil runs the best on it. It seems to ground balance better and give better sounding responses to targets. I do like the whites 12" coil, i just got to sort out a solid skid plate for it. It catches to many sticks etc. when in the bush. :)

I have not got 12" , I ordered my SPP with 7.5" and I brought solid skid plate for it from Goldsearch just recently. At present I can't use big coil in places I'm detecting.
Karl

There is a difference in resistance on coils made by Whites and those made for the ML. Miner John uses specs more like what Eric used originally and this is even a little different than the White's but not much. Miner John uses a totally different form of shielding than used by White's or ML compatible coils and this is why his coils have a tendency to be quieter.

Miner John also uses quality coax that has a served shielding which makes it almost impossible to detect. Thus false signals should be non existent. Unfortunately, this coax is a little smaller in diameter and this concerned Miner John so he adds a layer of heatshrink for added strength and protection. I don't do that to my coils since I try to not put any stress on the coax anyway.

The idea of the design is to get the coil to stabilize faster so there is less ground signal to deal with. This is why they might appear to ground balance better.

Changing the subject to sweep speed, there is a reason for finding the ideal speed. To find that ideal speed one needs to practice with small targets at different depths. The problem lies in an interaction between the filtering throughout the detector. Actually, the filtering before the autotune is the culprit. You could slow down the autotune easily by adding a couple of caps. In fact, there are small traces available for that purpose.

There are two integrators before the autotune circuitry that are a little too slow for my liking. They are that way to reduce noise, but do make it more difficult to detect small gold without a slow sweep. So any mod to the integrators that reduces the value of the caps involved will make the detector more responsive to small gold but add a little more noise at the same time. The integrators are matched so the caps have to be matched to 1% if they are changed. Also, the pc board has provisions to add two caps. The caps in place are C20 and C21, both 0.47uf caps. Replace them with 0.22uf matched to 1% caps and the response to smaller gold is better. One could go one step more and use 0.15uf and help a little more but doing so will also increase noise. C18 and C19 are places where a different cap can be added. Look around U6 for the parts mentioned.

Reg

Thanks for the advise on the coils Reg. I would like to have a go at making my own PI detector. Is there any particular kit you would recommend for a novice such as my self to start out on. I was just thinking this would give me a start in learning about different components before i start carry out any mods myself. :)

Looking on the whites usa web site they make a genuine solid skid plate for the tdi 12inch spoked coils.

I didn't know they made one for it until i spoke to them today. I ordered one from Gold search Australia, they where in stock. :)

Another way is to buy some stuff its like a Perspex but a lot thinner and it can be rolled up sorry I cannot think what its called bunnings sell it and the local hardware shop sell it just glue it onto the skid plate with liquid nails or silicone place some bricks on the coil while the glue sets then use a file to trim it up, drill a few small hole to let the dirt out regards john :)

To be honest Dazza the open design of the whites 12" coil was only one of the issues. But, the main reason was that the small coils such as my 8" commander is more sensitive to small gold. But, the closed skid plate does now allow this coil to be used in the bush more effectively and saves me some money on buying a new coil. I have used the 12" coil on the beach and for that purpose i wouldn't take it off, how it performs in the goldfield??? :)

I did a bit of testing with the SPP and a 18" mono coil (green dust bin lid). I had buried a 5c coin in the ground to test the CTX 3030 on high mineralised soil. I kept digging the coin deeper until i could not pick it up with the ctx, this ended up at approximately 7" or 8" mark. I grab the SPP with 8" mono coil, preset gain, no problems the SPP picked the coin up nice and clear, however when i raised the coil an inch or so off the ground above target the signal disappeared. So i fitted the 18" mono on and tested with that and to my surprise it not only picked the coin up but it would give a clear signal on that coin 8" above the ground.

I then continued to operate the 18" coil around the area and it ran really well. I have fitted a plugger straight shaft to my SPP and this allows me to keep the coil well out from the detector. The problem with the large mono coils on most PI detectors is EMI, but cause the SPP runs so quiet i think the large mono's could be a good option on this detector. The 18" coil ground balanced perfectly and i operated it within 20 meters from my house, i was impressed.

I will have to do some more tests with this coil, but i think its worth considering as it uses the best strength of the SPP and that it runs quiet. :)

Not to sure Prooz, the SPP and TDI SL have extra filtering in them over the TDI PRO, well so I am lead to believe. :)

The TDI pro will be noiser than the SPP but not my TDI pro as iv added the noise reduction circuitry from the SPP into it making it run very quiet even at higher gain levels '
Just note that not all 18" coils will work properly on the SPP some larger coils will tho.

Iv got some large razorback coils on there way but no time to test before Xmas.

What size RB coils have you ordered Zuke? What large coils have you tried that didn't run so well on the SPP or ones you know of? I don't plan on lugging this old dust bin lid coil around, but i was thinking of purchasing an 18" commander or maybe a sixteen inch in another brand. But the old dust bin seemed to run well with the SPP. Well you will have to make a video of the TDI PRO with the noise reduction filters zuke you have me interested now. :)

Not sure where I heard it but apparently the SPP doesn't like large coils with Litz wire tho I think the NF 16" & 18" work fine but the coiltek 14x24 doesn't.

Hole saw that dust bin lid to shave a few grams'

Here's a link of the TDI pro
http://youtu.be/2SVPn21ro4o

Latest posts