Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your right Zuke. The switch does have 6 pins and is dark green, same as yours. Only the two fat white wires go to the switch. the others are little bits of wire with a couple of diodes same as yours. Little white wire loop at the switch end covered with black tape, and two little loops at the plug end covered in black tape and both connected to the two middle pins on the plug.The JCAR tech is saying just connect those two as one on a three pin plug to the middle earth pin. Leave the rest as is. He reckons the design is clever and is prob. to keep the noise down. Hence the reason for the heavy shielded wire. May have to use smaller wire though, as the ones on it prob. be too big. Is it ok do you think to trim the wire a bit thinner at the plug end to make it fit the smaller plug?

ronniecruisin said:
Sounds like your gonna have too many Karl. If you want to post me one I'll give you a few dollars for it. I only need one. You can keep the rest for a rainy day. Assuming it's the right one of course. :)
If it is the right plug I will send you one.
Karl

Interested' in a link to the right plug Karl if you could? I had a look but found my self in a endless list of plugs and pins,
Ronnie you could use the switch and wires in the correct plug a bit fiddly but could work you will only need one side of the switch.

Thanks mbasko iv used the search bar and found it. I also unplugged a 3 pin conector and it does look like the right one
I'll just wait and see thanks Karl.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Interested' in a link to the right plug Karl if you could? I had a look but found my self in a endless list of plugs and pins,
Ronnie you could use the switch and wires in the correct plug a bit fiddly but could work you will only need one side of the switch.

Mbasko link is right one. But guys, I'm not 100% sure if it is right plug until I will get it. It should be here by Friday.
Karl

Thanks to both Karl and Zuke. Zuke. I'm not sure what you mean re. using one side of the switch.? The tech said I wouldn't need to touch the switch end at all. Just put the two small wires from the two centre posts on the plug to the centre one on the three pin plug and it should work. Does that sound right to you? Don't mean to sound like a dummy here, but even though I'm good at very fiddly stuff with my hands, what I know about electronics you could fit on the head of a pin.

Try this
1409103034_image.jpg

I see what you mean now Zuke. But what about the other connects. The little bits of wire with diodes attached. If I did what you are saying would it not interfere with the other connections to the other pins seeing as they are connected to each other? If you look at the switch from your OZ it is identical. Also on the side of the switch it says ON ON ON for each of the three terminals on one side.

I think you are reading it upside down. It should be NO, for normaly open. But without seeing the switch and connections I cannot offer any more advice.
Karl

The other wires are to reduce interference I think' inside the machine but that's for the TDI pro not the SL I think its easier to scratch that switch and loom and start again it's the wrong one.

Back to the drawing board I guess. The Tech at JCAR said it shouldn't cause any dramas for the machine, so I might just hook it up when I get the plug an see what happens. He followed the wires and another tech agreed with him what he thought should work. He read the info on the side of the switch as ON ON ON . this was printed below each of the three terminals on one side of the switch. Yours should have exactly the same Zuke. The tech seemed to understand exactly how the switch was wired and did explain it to me and even though I'm a novice what he said seemed to make sense. When I get the appropriate plug end I'll try it. I'll jus trim the wires down a bit to fit. If it works......Then all good...If it blows up then I guess it wasn't a good plan. Hey?

The plugs and pins arrived this morning. They are correct once for SPP. I'm doubtful that I will be able to crimp wires on n by using needle nosed pliers. The pins are very small.
Karl

Karl you may need a special pair of crimpers from Jaycar or visit an auto electricans work shop and get him or her to crimp
the wires.

Not that easy. Crimping tool for this one is around couple hundred bucks and forget about Jaycar or auto electrician. This connector is 1.25mm pitch, too small . After three hours of swearing I managed to do one pin and stuffed six other. By using jewelers screwdriver and needle nose pliers it is possible to do it, provided your hands are steady and you have good eyesight. Both I unfortunately lack by now. Oh well, soldier on.
Karl

OOOOOOh Let me see. Well Dazza. For the money this is a damn fine little machine. My major gripes??? Even though it doesn't seem to effect the operation of the SPP, that hiccup when ground balancing is very annoying, and, coupled with that, and probably partly responsible is the almost don't even turn the GB pot more than an ants kneecap either way, as the SPP will go out of balance very easily sounding with a high tone one way and a low tone the other. You must get this exactly in the middle and quiet to be ground balanced. Sometimes very difficult because of the lack of a fine GB adjustment pot. The lack of the conductivity switch! However this seems like it's easy to sort so not such a problem as first thought. Now for the good stuff.....Light and easy to swing......Sensitive ..even with the stock coil, has no problem detecting shotties and other very tiny bits...... Goes deep too......Cheap!..... Very good value for money.! Would I recommend this machine to anyone else.....??? YES!. Already have, and he bought one, and I think he's happy he did.! :)

I like it, its light to use it will take M/L and N/F coils you can work it under power lines with a mono coils near Telstra phone lines with mine lab you can but you loose a lot of depth .I have only found 1 piece of gold with it so fare but I am happy with how the detector work. The conductivity switch is no issue with me I think if you are looking in park or play grounds it may be an advantage ,the ground balance hiccup can be a pain but I think we may have a way to fix it. All up money for value a new PI detector for under $1200 with warranty regards john :)

Sounds really good for the money, last pi detector I used was a sd 2200d when it was first released.
I have the first ml exsplorer series coin shooters that i still enjoy using but thought a new pi for gold would be a good idea.

Will order a new spp as soon as I'm home next week : )

Being in the yarrawonga / mulwala area I'm guessing the gt/vic gold fields would be closest to me? Hour or two drive depending where I actually go.

Latest posts