When will the rain stop

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One mm of rain as per a rain gage is equal to one ltr of water per sq mtr.

So now you can work out how much rain has fallen in your area.

And one litre of water weighs one kilogram
and one square kilometre = one million square metres... so 1mm of rain over one square kilometre = one million litres = one million kilograms = one thousand tonnes.... so even though clouds are fluffy.... the bugga's are blimmin heavy hey.

If you multiply that by 200mm in an hour you get two hundred thousand tonnes of water trying to get off that one square kilometre of ground.... now that's some motive force !

Thanks for that little insight Adrian ss... I never knew that hey. :D (livin n learnin)

No problemo.
When you start crunching the numbers the current rainfall is a bit scary aye.

Has been raining here (Tuggeranong ) non stop for 4 days now. Not heavy rain but constant light to moderate rainfall.
We have had 75mm in the past 50hr..... I can recall a time when we had 120 mm come down in 20 minutes. That caused a bit of trouble in the back yard and we are close to the top of a hill and also copped the runoff from the neighbours yard.
NSW is in trouble now and as per usual real estate agents are still allowed to sell flood plain property to new home buyers and that plus bad management of the Warragamba Dam has caused major flooding downstream.. Seems where money is concerned greed overrides common sense.

Tathradj said:
Just on the news.
Both fronts have converged and heading this way.

I really hope this will be a non event.

Just hope it is not as bad as the 1971 floods.

Google Bega Floods 1971.

That was really bad.....

Bega Forcast.

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/bega.shtml

You should see some sun in a day or two.
A lot of water running into the rivers that might cause some low lying flooding

Looks like a lot of rain coming today.
Been raining quite steady since yesterday afternoon.

As I said before, Bega is prone to flooding. I really hope
that the water gets away quickly.

Adrian ss said:
Tathradj said:
Just on the news.
Both fronts have converged and heading this way.

I really hope this will be a non event.

Just hope it is not as bad as the 1971 floods.

Google Bega Floods 1971.

That was really bad.....

Bega Forcast.

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/bega.shtml

You should see some sun in a day or two.
A lot of water running into the rivers that might cause some low lying flooding

The way the radar is looking now it seems anywhere from Wollongong up is going get some clear weather finally. This rain event has been an absolute shocker for so many people, it's going to take a long time to clean up.

So far we've had fire, pestillence, floods and a mouse plague, what's next?? Locusts, nuclear war, metorite..... FFS? Will probably be sorry I asked that question.

Heatho said:
The way the radar is looking now it seems anywhere from Wollongong up is going get some clear weather finally. This rain event has been an absolute shocker for so many people, it's going to take a long time to clean up.

So far we've had fire, pestillence, floods and a mouse plague, what's next?? Locusts, nuclear war, metorite..... FFS? Will probably be sorry I asked that question.

What ever it is and when ever it is I hope everyone affected by the fires and floods are spared, let's hope for everyone's sake it isn't pandemic related either :beer:

These last 24 months have been unprecedented in so many ways for so many. Surely things are due to change for a more settled hassle free existence sooner than later.

Latest posts