When will the rain stop

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went and zapped a few coins off the beach at low tide . Thought I had got a good silver ring but it was only rubbish . Will go again to morrow , low tide about lunch time .

Not a drop here on the south west coast. We cpuld do with it as the farmers over here in WA are not far away from seading. Unfortinatly I think the drought is next. We have had our fires and floods. Normaly the drought folllows

It doesn't really matter where you live at the moment with all the flooding going on .,

The flood's don't happen every day and where I live is a very nice part of the world

If I did move I would want a place on a hill :lol:

But knowing my luck the hill would get washed away :lol: :lol: :lol:

looks like the rains are here at last

1616625184_img_0177.jpg

might get some run off into the dam for a change

1616625217_img_0176.jpg

buggar 18mm in 15 minutes then blue sky again ,may be next time

174mm or 7 inches old school at Jack River (just out of Yarram).
Rained for two days ......... sent home from work yesterday due to roads flooding.
Got up this morning & the roads are all clear. Still a lot of water going down the rivers & creeks & laying in the paddocks but I can't believe how quickly it has all got away.
Rob.

Mike678 said:
Went and zapped a few coins off the beach at low tide . Thought I had got a good silver ring but it was only rubbish . Will go again to morrow , low tide about lunch time .

What sort of detector are you swinging Mike?

Pizzing down again central west NSW. Considering blue skies was forecast, but there ya go!!

Even the concrete is turning green out this way! :lol:

Some of the totals around the place have been amazing this season. We were already fairly saturated from the storms leading up to this trough system throughout Jan. and Feb. Amazing to see the trees bounce back to life after not seeing a single green leaf for almost two years, let alone the constant daily dust storms that are a thing of the past at this point.

We copped a large left-moving HP Supercell back on the 21st of Jan. that put down 100-110mm or 4 inches in twenty minutes (measured across several gauges around town). I have a shot of our street that I took ten minutes after it left showing 50cm deep water and we live up on a ridge here. We had actual tide marks along the street.
The last event like that was from a similar structured storm in 2003. That was 90-100mm 3-1/2 inches in about forty minutes total, but similar results as far as local flooding.

It was only one of many across several weeks leading up to this event. Seems the current "official" totals aren't even reflecting the actual rainfall out here. I'm not sure the local weather station is even monitored correctly?

We also pulled a record number of lightning strikes for a single storm (Lightning Ridge living up to its name nicely) back on the 12th of this month that Weatherzone put out there on the news of 51699 strikes just around town. I wasn't surprised by that either as I was standing out there watching it unfold. It was sheer insanity!

I've been trying to gather totals, but I'd say it would be around a foot of rain for the month so far. Official is showing 218mm, but as I said that's definitely out by some margin. I really need to get my old gauges set up again. We'd been in drought so long that I took them down.

This event was easy to see coming, even last year given that the Sun is at Solar Minimum (ten to eleven yearly cycle) and the La Nina was in full swing.

There's also a bit of a trend out here with the years that the normally dry Coocoran Lake has filled with each strong flooding event across the decades. 74-75 was the only anomalous event and still the wettest year on record for Australia. We had 10" of rain overnight in a single downpour from that event. Then you have 80-81, 90-91, 00-01 and 10-11 that the lake has filled. So I'd hesitate a guess that this coming Summer might be an interesting season as the lake hasn't received anything to fill it as yet via the QLD river systems that flow down into NSW and overflow into the Narran River channels.

I can say for certain that I'm not looking forward to the coming Mosquito and Sandfly plagues one bit. :N:

For the sake of an argument,

If it is a hot Summer, " Global Warming. "

If it is a wet Summer, " Climate Change. "

If it is a dry winter, " Solar Maximus. "

If it is a Wet winter, " Ice Age coming. "

Then we have, " La Nino. "
On top of that, " Lo Nina. "

Just who is right with this. ??

My answer, No one. It is the way it is and no one is going to change it.

Just tax it and it will go away. :poop:

Latest posts