What are your other hobbies??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mackka said:
I thought i read that someone on here collects/repairs old clocks. I have an old Rowland Mantel Clock Serial Number 24445 Number 15 and was wondering how old it was if anyone can help. I have looked on Google but nothing forthcoming. Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.
Mackka

Mackka you could send a PM to Rocket, or Ramjet even(to pass on) about the clock.

Maccka, do you have a photo of your clock you could post, Id be happy to do some research and see what I come up with.
A close up of any details on the face may give some clues.
Manpa

Thread resurrection going on there Mackka mmm

Thinking about hobbies, I guess over the years I learnt how to paint my own cars(not doing that now though), and there was stamps and shooting(9RQR) from when I was just 6 as well(so I could hit an outhouse from a great distance( :mad: if I was ever allowed too), then there's coins... finding them in more ways than one, and gardening(man you should see a leaf grow), and I recon PA itself seems like a bit of a hobby sometimes.... pretty hard to keep ya mouth shut on here at times hey ! :D , l guess I like knowing how things work or happen, so I can do what needs to be done if I ever have to do it, but a lot of things get left in the wake of whatever is currently in the minds eye.... probly just Gunna leave a mess behind me when I pass, that no one can fathom except with a skip bin.... And an over grown garden...and a big treasure chest lol :p

Edit..... now Mrs S is up me for not mentioning her and the kids, but mentioning the skip bin she's always on about.... and how my hoarding ways and keeling over will just leave a mess for her and the kids to have to deal with, I thought she knew she was the light of my life and my reason to be(without actually sayin it :eek: )

She gotta realise she's not a hobby.... but a way of life :p

Edit No.2.... now she says "maybe she'd like to be my hobby.... but... whatever ! " :p

Makka, I like making and fixing (some) things and have a series of sayings that sort sums me up to an extent. Two of them are -
1. If someone else can do it then I will have a go at it, but don't ask me to do open-heart surgery.
And yes I have repaired an old mantel clock many years ago, but I don't think that I posted about it here.
I ended up being willed the clock when the old lady that owned it passed away, and it is ticking away on my mantle.
2. If you fail to plan then plan to fail.

I have even hand-ground an 8" mirror for a Newtonian telescope, made boats (power & sail), built houses, caretaken a 1,000,000+ acre cattle station, fixed fences, made knives, done leatherwork, lots, lots, more, and none of those were my paid jobs, but better to discuss those sorts of activities face to face with people.

Rob P.

Reminds me PabloP, I still have all my leather work tools n books from my younger days. :D

Here ya go Pa, not much detail.
Cheers
Mackka
1635830500_clock_norland_22245_number_15_2.jpg

1635830500_clock_norland_22245_number_15_3.jpg

Hi Maccka, Norland clocks were produced between 1932 and 1940, the number 15 refers to the movement, I think this is a Westminster chime, does it chime on the quarter hour?
Also how often does it need to be wound, everyday is a 30 hour movement, once a week is an eight day movement.

Cheers
Manpa

Doesn't work Pa, just wanted to get a bit of history before seeing if it could be fixed. Thanks for the info. The serial Number is 24445 any ideas on date it was made? I originally thought 24 april 1945 but they had already closed by then.
Mackka

Norland Clock Co. was founded in London in 1932 by two business men and two German clock makers. The design was based on those of Friedrich Jauch Co. (the two Germans may have worked for Jauch, but that is only a guess).

Norland was fairly successful but the business was closed down around the time of the outbreak of the second world war and it was never re-started. So that narrows the date down to within about 7 years.

Archery/bow hunting was my biggest hobby until detecting which has now taken over I hope to combine the two in the future. I still shoot arrows mainly at home for getting my mind off things and a bit of fun. Its great to get the grandkids involved they love popping balloons is there any other archers out there? Cheers muk.

Mackka said:
Here ya go Pa, not much detail.
Cheers
Mackkahttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2446/1635830500_clock_norland_22245_number_15_2.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...635830500_clock_norland_22245_number_15_3.jpg

Gday Mackka,
From that photo it looks like the suspension spring is broken off
Very common , and not very difficult to replace
(The suspension spring holds the pendulum)
If the pendulum is wrapped up in that paper , its a sure bet the other piece of spring is still attached so will be able to work out the size / dimensions
Ebay will be a good starting point

Latest posts