Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, I am just thinking outside the square with regard to the absence or scarecity of catwalk mesh. This is my thought, a trip to Bunnings to the aluminium profile section and buy some flat bar I hope Wal can suggest a suitable depth, so its either 12mm or 20 mm x 3 mm thick,, make a cardboard template of the cross pattern so you know how long to cut each bar, make a jig and bent it to suit, you can cut some short pieces to use as spacers, side bits can be pop riveted to the ends of the cross bars or if you can find that aluminium solder solder it together , drill and pop rivet pieces together to make your mesh (why am i suggesting this, should be making it and selling it with the 10mm blue pvc openweave mesh I just bought from bunnings lol ) the cost is much cheaper than the bought stuff, the cable tray is also a bit hard to secure as a freebie, I looked at some on ebay the other day, the slot pattern is a bit different to the slot pattern that you can buy from the electrical wholesaler at about $40 300 x 2400 long, it had slots parallel to the cable, then about every 4th row they ran across the tray, do you think that this would be a better classifier than as shown in Wal's banker design.

Hey mate, welcome.

The idea has been done re catwalk mesh made out of flat bar and riveted. The poor bugger went to all the effort and then decided to cut it down to fit his walbanker, using a dropsaw from memory, only to have his custom mesh grab and pretty much disintegrate before his eyes! Lucky he was wearing safety glasses. As for the cable tray, I purchased the heavier duty stuff that Wal suggests at my local electrical supplier. 300mm x 2.4m which easily leaves enough for a spare. I paid $26 as I got a trade discount, I think it usually sells for around $40. Try John R Turk or Rexel (same group) if they are near you, or any electrical supplier. As for the height, I think Wal recommends around 16mm, but don't quote me on that. It does somewhat depend on your matting that the mesh leads into. At the moment I am using a Hungarian or Lazy L riffle which is around 20mm and nicely suits my bunnings spag mat and breadcrate combined height.

I am near the end of building my Walbanker and the best thing I can suggest is scour every post on all 46 pages of this thread. Every little tidbit of info here is priceless!
All of your dilemmas have been encountered by many of us, if not all, and covered throughout these pages. I tried to find the link for you re the fellas custom mesh incident but I don't have anymore time (the surf is calling me).

All the best with your build.

Hello PT73 , thanks for your thoughts on making the grille, flexibility was a consideration thats why I was going to opt for the aluminium soldered joint after pop riveting , the solder uses propane, you often see the demos at swap meets where they solder a hole in the bottom of a can , i fixed a few aluminium parts but you really have to watch the temperature . Once upon a time , one could buy aluminium brazing rod from CIG but its no longer available, I bought some from the USA, but when I used it, the flux created a yellow hallo around the joint so you could not see what the aluminium was doing , like seeing that wet look at the right temperature . I would make all the bits to fit before riveting , having a trade background helps with using tools , so one must issue a caution to all to think about what your doing and the possible issues even drilling a hole is an issue what does one do to stop the drill from slipping and drilling your hand or finger.
The design feature relating to the height of the flat bar centres on what Wal describes as the liquefaction to the dirt being washed and the creation of the vortex action, no need to redesign the wheel if someone has gone thru that process and reduced the design to what works best, I note that there are only 4 complete capture sections at the front end of the Wal high banker . Also looked at all the stuff the gold hog ppl have youtubed on the vortex operation around riffle design but they didn't indicate sizes.

Never welded aluminium before, but as with any welding helps being able to see. Ha, funny you mention using caution and drilling your hand. A few months ago when I started my Walbanker I did exactly that! At the time it didn't really hurt, but my concern was I only had half of the drill bit left in the chuck. For a while I seriously thought it was embedded in my bloody hand because I could not find it anywhere...so out came the detector to check. Lets say I was very relieved it did not go off!

It is a real science around water flow, pump pressure, riffle angles, heights, vortexes and so on. This project has kept the mind real active over the last few months and provided plenty of challenges along the way. I also had trouble obtaining the catwalk mesh, so I made hungarian riffles from ali angle. I do have plans using catwalk, but Iam really interested to see how my riffles go. I have only 3 riffles spaced 100mm apart, as this seems to be the optimum distance for hungarians. I mentioned the Bunnings spag mat, which you have, but I also got hold of the spag mat from Big W ($12). I think I am leaning towards using this as it is a little shorter in height and it is backed and the master (Wal) swears by these mats.

cheers

I thought the mat suggested is the thicker and courser pvc spaghetti type , the thinner less courser mat has a backing which would be ideal to stop any fine gold from passing thru, i also bought some putting mat the green very short pile with a rubber backing on the assumption that this will go under the blue spaghetti mat and sitting in the sluice tray hence easily removed and trapping all fine gold , at least thats the plan, looked at a plastic pallet off cut today and ' bing ' that nearly resembles the vertical walkway mesh except for one feature, the cross is a little larger , every where I look I see expanded sectional made from plastic look at the milk crates,, I suppose trail and error is needed to find the right velocity to see if it works

I had 3mm ribbed rubber mat under my blue un-backed spag with the same intention to catch the gold, but it didn't help the height issue. I have since cut my Big W spag mat to size and I am really happy with it. My heights are all good now. It is a tad more tightly woven and the bread crate seems to seat much better on top. I am now very close to finishing. Made up some angle pieces today to hold all of the riffles in. Just got to cut some slots in my spray bar and get hold of a pump, then the real trial and error begins!

hello PT 73, I bought a pump for a bloke on ebay, he sells the Thornado brand , its a 1-1/2 outlet, 4 stroke, 12000 ltrs /hour and was cheap, about $130 mark from memory, have bought a lot from him, lay flat hose, the quick release clips etc, the other engine was a 13hp Thornado thats going like a trooper in my firewood bench, time will tell with the 2-1/2 hp engine and pump, from what i can see with pumps is the suction lift and the pumping head, all adds extra $$$$$, the better output is from the firefighting pump, same motor , different pump.
THE EBAY MAN IS BASED IN A STORAGE WAREHOUSE BETWEEN ROCKDALE AND BANKSIA
I figure that the pump is on the river bank about a metre above the water level so suction should not be a problem , the height the pump can pump is the question, its more the distance to the high banker , my mentor mate was pumping water about 100 metres but the head was about 3 metres max so frictional losses in the lay flat may apply , I bought mine already but wonder if I should have gone to 2 ' thought at the time it might be overkill '
I will be running my untried pump thru the week thru all the lay flat hose I have to see how good the flow is . there is some good info in the forum on spray bars , the size , how many slots, any holes, cleaning design in case of blockage from weed , seems that you need a few different styles for the terrain you are in

My Walbanker hybrid near completion. Started over 12 months ago but didn't get it finished in time for our Nundle trip. Now bustin my backside to get it finished for my trip to Drake and surrounds soon. Made from nearly all recycled materials.
1472369308_2016-08-28_17.12.02.jpg
1472369911_2016-08-28_17.12.54.jpg

1472435459_img_20160829_113630.jpg

1472435459_img_20160829_113559.jpg

1472435459_img_20160829_113122.jpg

Now that the weather is slowly getting warmer, I finally got around to finishing off my WalBanker. Most of the credit must go to my brother who is in the sheet metal trade. Thanks Bro. Only cost me an old PS3!! lol....

Will be christening it this weekend in a new location. Can't wait to see how she goes.. :)

jethro said:
Geez your missus is gonna be pissed when she comes home and finds her pool full of tailings 8) :D

I think he's going for the natural rocky beach feel, to the pool : 8) :8 :cool: :D

It's actually my sisters pool and for a moment I did consider running some dirt through the machine. But eventually thought better of it! Lol :lol:

Latest posts