Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back home after 8 days camped on the Turon river.
Ran the walbanker most days and the legs held firm this time thankfully.
The problem I have now is with the expanded mesh I'm using. I am finding that it is blocking pretty quick with gravel and sand.
Tried increasing the water flow and the angle of depression on the sluice box but it only changed things minimally over all.
Here is a picture of the expanded sloped mesh I am using with small apertures.
1461042277_image.jpg

1461042278_image.jpg

I have two sheets of expanded mesh that has the vertical sides (not sloped) that has a larger aperture, and thought of trying this next time to see if it solved the gravel build up.
1461042648_image.jpg

If it doesnt fix the problem , I would be happy to swap some of the upright mesh I have with any one that has some sloped mesh with the larger apertures.

Nucopia if you talking about the 170mm expanded sloped mesh boiler section after the slick plate? Then I had the same Problem.

I found on The Shoalheven River there was so much backlog on the slick plate before the boiler section expanded sloped mesh but the bread crate was clearing fine. Slick plate section before boiler expanded sloped mesh section started clearing a little better with increased pressure and a little more angle but the the bread create was clearing too fast to to be holding much or working efficiently. I did test pan tailings and found no gold which was great but I had sooooo much material, cons in boiler section and slick plate to deal with for cleanup. Lots of fines, flour and low black sands so happy. I also felt overloading contributed to backlog not clearing on slick plate before expanded slopped mesh on the Shoalhaven River.

On the Turon I had a similar issue but not as bad the next next day when I stuck in the vertical catwalk upside down so you have a the underside facing upwards as it is not straight and vertical as the top but has an increase taper which is evident and the material boils and give a better chance to clear. A few chunks, flakes, fines and sooo much black sands at this spot I was at that I was stumped on cleanup but happy. I found no issues overloading on the Turon. I couldn't keep up feeding the Walbanker beast on the Turon.

I haven't used the catwalk mesh after slick plate on the Shoalhaven River yet but certainly works efficiently on the Turon.

I am going to slightly cut back the taper on under side of catwalk mesh so it increases the angle to give a better chance to release those bigger stones that just boil in there but I am sold on the catwalk mesh as boiler after slick plate and wont go back to slopped unless it creates a further backlog on The Shoalhaven River, unorthodox or not.

Most of my gold is in the boiler section and very little in the bread crate.

Also I'll be adding a 45 degree riffle into the bread crate and nugget trap.

Just my experience thus far.

Yass00-au
You have discribed my problem to a T , im guessing my small expanded sloped mesh iwas not creating the right turbulence to clear all the sand andgravel properly as I was getting a lot of buildup of gravel in the slick plate area behind the mesh as well. Tailings were clear of any gold loss when paned so even with the build up . I found it was still catching gold in the bread creat and matting.
Will try the vertical cat walk mesh next time when we go out to Ophir in a few weks time and see how it changes things..

Thanks also Limpalot we had two people shoveling and one person doing crevises by filling a bucket and when filled we would stop shovelling and feed the bucket dirt through slowly. Also had some one using their hands to wash and clear the stones from the classifier under the spray bar. I used my ipad with a level app to set the ceoss level and to set the angle of depression anything under 9-10degs increased the build up behind the expanded and when i set the angle at 10-12degs it seemed to work a hell of a lot better but still clogged after a while. As I wrote above I think it has to do with the small apertures not creating the right water vortexes/flow over the smaller mesh.

Nucopia, I read a post not long ago where you spent the day panning at Ophir and you came away with a nice piece so if your gonna let the banker fly I would urge you to incorporate a nugget trap and a few riffles throughout bread crate if thats what your using or otherwise meticulously test pan tailings or spread out tailings and run a detector over it if you have access to one because sure as hell on fire weather in the sky on under our feet has it besides size and specific gravity, if stones are clearing bread crate then good chances nuggets will do the same.

The above mentioned is another reason why I am using catwalk mesh instead of expanded slopped after slick plate as I found two rather small bits still in matrix, one almost round and the other was still a bit rough but still water worn and unsure if they where there because of the catwalk and or if they still would have been there if using expanded mesh. No comparative science on that one other than test panning tailings so speculation only from observation and coincidence :)

I will be adding a nugget trap and a few riffles to bread crate without offending Wal's originial intention or design and perhaps with his blessing when I am able to and have a good crack at the same spot with my boys one a miner (10) in the making the other a geologist (8) in the making. I haven't got a football team but I sure do have some diggers that have gold fever and love the outdoors lifestyle as I do :p

I am afraid the only way I can get a nugget trap in bread crate and a few riffles in is to have a bolt on add on. Will knock something up when I can and post up some pics if there is any interest :)

yass00_Au I'm pretty sure that Wal advised against putting riffles over the bread crate as it will stuff up the vortexes. Do a search on walnliz and riffles.
Jon

Good point Jon thanks for pointing that out, wouldn't want to bum steer anyone out of Wal's specs. I may have overlooked that information and or forgotten, will have to have another read.

Perhaps lengthening the banker, mine is only 1.2m long so adding something before the bread crate and an add on after the bread crate to cover a few different gold only areas without having the need for storage space for 3 bankers :)

If you build your HB as per Wal's configuration, 1.2m is plenty long enough for gold - straight from Wal's mouth. Wal makes his standard Walbankers at 1.5m to cover both gold and gems.

blisters said:
yass00_Au found Wal's recommendations regarding riffles:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=9397#p9397

The reason your mesh might be clogging is because the slick plate may be too short and the material hasn't reached a speed to activate a vortex.

Jon
My walbanker is made the those specs., its only the sloped expanded mesh that is not the right size it would seem.
Will have to look around for the correct size mesh.

Hi Mate,
I would be happy to swap a piece of my expanded for a piece of Catwalk. :) :)
The expanded I use is slightly smaller than what Wal uses and works very well.
Does not let much past especially at Tuena.
Lethal on Oallen as some have seen. :) :)
Smaller size equals more vorticies yet does not detract from the original spec.
Oh, It is duralium as well. :D :D

mdv said:
If you build your HB as per Wal's configuration, 1.2m is plenty long enough for gold - straight from Wal's mouth. Wal makes his standard Walbankers at 1.5m to cover both gold and gems.

In fact my WalBanker length is 1m and not 1.2m as I stated. I could only source that length in scrap opposed to buying the full sheet.

To have enough slick plate I had to reduce size of bread crate length but I am unfussed as performance is outstanding :cool:

blisters said:

The reason your mesh might be clogging is because the slick plate may be too short and the material hasn't reached a speed to activate a vortex.

Jon

That jogs the memory now Jon. Much obliged for taking the time to steer me in the right direction and directing me to the right page and post regarding horizontal riffles. Certainly saved me a shite loads of time in modifying and and then to find when in production I am going backwards loosing gold.

In this case I will add horizontal riffles after bread crate as a bolt on/off add on so there is no interference in vortexes with bread crate but also adding a nugget trap after bread crate and before horizontal riffles, both within bolt on/off add on for those historic chunky areas :D Then I have the options and bases covered when needed or when in doubt.

I am thinking 200mm to 300mm add on max depending on how many horizontal riffles I decide to go with, should be sufficient to cover the riffles 2" spacing's and nugget trap.

I have the Clarkson report on file and I must say what a great read. Have attempted a couple of reads but after a while everything just gets blurry and fuzzy but I get the idea.

Cheers,

Ross

Just remember when mixing mesh riffles and crate in one box to size them so they work effectively as larger riffles require more water velocity to vortex than mesh for example. You could do this by lowering your end piece for gravity to accelerate the water and narrow the piece to get additional depth if required.
Jon

blisters said:
Just remember when mixing mesh riffles and crate in one box to size them so they work effectively as larger riffles require more water velocity to vortex than mesh for example. You could do this by lowering your end piece for gravity to accelerate the water and narrow the piece to get additional depth if required.
Jon

Brilliant!

I will make add on adjustable and watch what the stones are doing so I can adjust accordingly.

Problem I have with watching the stones dancing in the vortex is that I get hypnotized 8) and love it!

I will modify when practically possible and post up pics.

Cheers,

Ross

nucopia said:
blisters said:

Jon
My walbanker is made the those specs., its only the sloped expanded mesh that is not the right size it would seem.

nucopia I have a slopped expanded sheet of around 800 x 800 larger aperture your looking for. Your more than welcome to cut the boiler size you need when passing through Sydney next or anytime soon, just let me know when your about.

I would love to have you send me measurements and cut it to size for you then post it but its not really practical I get into the garage at the moment and onto the power tools whilst on crutches. I have the hardware and blades you need to cut through it so all you would need to to is make an appearance.

Let me know.

Cheers,

Ross

Tathradj said:
Hi Mate,

I would be more than happy to let you cut to size some of my catwalk mesh for boiler Tathradj if your swinging by Sydney some time in the near future, same deal as nucopia meaning you would have to just turn up and DYI as I cant physically get on tools with crutches or post it out but I have all the power tools.

Let me know,

Ross

M
yass00_Au said:
nucopia said:
blisters said:

Jon

nucopia I have a slopped expanded sheet of around 800 x 800 larger aperture your looking for. Your more than welcome to cut the boiler size you need when passing through Sydney next or anytime soon, just let me know when your about.

I would love to have you send me measurements and cut it to size for you then post it but its not really practical I get into the garage at the moment and onto the power tools whilst on crutches. I have the hardware and blades you need to cut through it so all you would need to to is make an appearance.

Let me know.

Cheers,

Ross
Thanks Ross
No plan to go down to Sydney any time soon but when i do i will pm you .
Cheers
;)

nucopia said:
M
yass00_Au said:
nucopia said:
blisters said:

Jon

Let me know.

Cheers,

Ross
Thanks Ross
Cheers
;)

nucopia said:
M
yass00_Au said:
nucopia said:
blisters said:

Jon

Let me know.

Cheers,

Ross
Thanks Ross
Cheers
;)

Timing and luck has it if known last weekend I could of dumped it on the front lawn Friday before last and picked it up on my next visit to the area as we stayed at Nelson Bay in Fingle Bay through the weekend and took the scenic route if you call it one through The Entrance and lake Macquarie rather than a straight speed run on the M1. I must say Maurrys Craft Brewery is always on the cards for a stop over on the way to nelson Bay :D

Could have picked it up in the future without rush as we hit up ledges and polish rocks with mud terrains rock crawling through Watagan National Park also frequenting Stockton Beach sand dunes for a bit of action.

I will let you know in the near future when in the area if by then you have not sourced a piece.

Cheers,

Ross

Very Kind of you and Thank You Ross,
I will take up your offer in the not too distant future as I have
a PR trip to do.
Doug

yass00_Au said:
Tathradj said:
Hi Mate,

I would be more than happy to let you cut to size some of my catwalk mesh for boiler Tathradj if your swinging by Sydney some time in the near future, same deal as nucopia meaning you would have to just turn up and DYI as I cant physically get on tools with crutches or post it out but I have all the power tools.

Let me know,

Ross

Latest posts