Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks TathraDj

Ironically, because of the one piece clamp setup, it needs to be the right height sloped mesh :). Might have to re-think that.

Really appreciate the offer but I'm sure I'll find some shortly.

Will have to catch up with you at meetup some time.

Regards
DirtyBob

Same as mine cobber. LOL
10 mm thick.
Offer is open if you wish.
I have added a picture for you about supporting the cable tray classifier.

Check out Wal's post #674 (page 27 on this thread) - sorry not sure how to link. Seems to have a single clamp

Think it would be OK for gold but thinking it's possible stones could run down the side on a gem setup.

Edit: only dropped the mesh in because I ran out of angle to support the cable tray but was surprised how well it holds. Out of time to change much before I try it out Friday

Are you talking about the peice that goes on the crate section or the two hold down
angles that hold the lot down. ?

The picture in that post shows what I call a single clamp (the hold down angles) that holds down everything from the bread crate to the expanded. This is the bit that worries me a little. Would be easy enough to chop it into pieces and make tabs.

I used what is called rope rail.
Looks like a h.
And I have some here. :D :D
Go use it as it is.
It will not let you down. :D
Tabs are a bit fiddly so I would not use them.
Wait until you come back and we will sort it out.
Now just go have some fun and don't be too critical of
your build cobber. :D
That is an instruction from your friendly moderator. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi guys, I've been a lurker here for a while but finally joined up.
So I've been looking at Wals highbanker for a while and decided to bite the bullet and build my own to Wals exact spec's (gold version). I've always made my own sluices previously with what I though was a good success (as in gold collection) rate.

I took the Walbanker out for its first run on the weekend to my secret spot in central Vic (half hour from home) and what a difference the Walbanker made. On my old sluice I was pulling 0.2gr-0.25gr an hour at a fairly relaxed feed rate (nothing amazing but it's close to home and easy to access so I'm happy with it). Digging in my same spot I'd been the previous weekend just enlarging the hole sideways I pulled 0.45gr. Wal.....you've changed my life.....hahahaha.

A note on the collection areas of the Walbanker. I decided to pan down the concentrates in small sections to see where I was catching gold to see how the Walbanker worked. Results were - 1 small flake caught in the whole bread crate section (I'm running bread crate from the expanded at the top all the way to the bottom), in the lower 3/4's of the expanded I found 4 small flakes, but then I got to the first 2 sections (holes) of the expanded......it was like a Christmas tree in the pan lit up with flakes and fines. I was amazed that the vast majority of gold had been caught at the very first point of the collection area.

Thanks Wal for the plans and ongoing support you give the sluicing community.....you're a legend in your own right.

Heading out for 5 days over the cup weekend so looking forward to bringing some more AU home. Can't wait to get the Walbanker in action again!

jgro1809 said:
Hi guys, I've been a lurker here for a while but finally joined up.
So I've been looking at Wals highbanker for a while and decided to bite the bullet and build my own to Wals exact spec's (gold version). I've always made my own sluices previously with what I though was a good success (as in gold collection) rate.

I took the Walbanker out for its first run on the weekend to my secret spot in central Vic (half hour from home) and what a difference the Walbanker made. On my old sluice I was pulling 0.2gr-0.25gr an hour at a fairly relaxed feed rate (nothing amazing but it's close to home and easy to access so I'm happy with it). Digging in my same spot I'd been the previous weekend just enlarging the hole sideways I pulled 0.45gr. Wal.....you've changed my life.....hahahaha.

A note on the collection areas of the Walbanker. I decided to pan down the concentrates in small sections to see where I was catching gold to see how the Walbanker worked. Results were - 1 small flake caught in the whole bread crate section (I'm running bread crate from the expanded at the top all the way to the bottom), in the lower 3/4's of the expanded I found 4 small flakes, but then I got to the first 2 sections (holes) of the expanded......it was like a Christmas tree in the pan lit up with flakes and fines. I was amazed that the vast majority of gold had been caught at the very first point of the collection area.

Thanks Wal for the plans and ongoing support you give the sluicing community.....you're a legend in your own right.

Heading out for 5 days over the cup weekend so looking forward to bringing some more AU home. Can't wait to get the Walbanker in action again!

Would be great if you can show us some pictures of your Walbanker?

Thanks blisters

I clamped a strip of steel under the leg pieces to give a bit of angle when I drilled them... But they came out straight anyway???

My hole saw is in bad shape and figure that contributed. Have some spare box section and the leg supports are just riveted to the sluice section so can replace without too many dramas.

... Just keen to put some dirt through it... Already started packing the car

Daniel2015 - will do mate, will takes a couple pics over the weekend while I'm on the river....it's packed up in the camper atm.

A question for the community.....

What do you guys feel is a reasonable 'find rate' when sluicing....as in grams per hour of digging? I'm not talking that best day you've ever had, just a average/normal day out digging when you walk away satisfied with your finds (although I'm sure we all want more!!!)

Just interested to see if my current spot is one I should keep battling with or should I keep searching for something better?

Let's be honest here guys......fishing stories can stay on the fishing forums hahahaha

I would be happy wih a gram for a 3 -4 hr dig session ... depends on the location though, most places im just happy to be out bush so would settle for a lot less and still be happy most times, hard digging i want a gram though

The old saying, worst days fossicking is better than your best day working; really good splash of colour in the pan.
1446014875_p1000324-optimized.jpg

Hi , I just completed a new walbanker and gave it a test run with gravely sand from local creek and with 1 x 10litre bucket the expanded mesh and bread crate was totally choked. I had a fair angle plus decent water flow. Is it getting choked because of the material being gravel or because i dont have a tapper? My walbanker is 1200 long and 300 wide and a wx15 pump

If you're running a wx15 at 3/4 throttle you will be delivering around 200L/m and that is more than sufficient. Where most people make a mistake in running a shorter box is they also run a shorter slick section. Slick section cannot be compromised, as this is where the water speed necessary for displacement occurs. You need 500mm min for the slick section in a single tiered box, and with a shorter box you can reduce the crate section and the expanded.

The type of material you run through the sluice should have no bearing on how it displaces, as it has already been classified. The mesh should be about 1/2 full and the crate should be no more than 1/4 full. ;)

Take a pic and post it, and I'll soon tell you where the problem is.

Wal.

DirtyBob said:
Finally finished my Walbanker yesterday.

Firstly, a big thank you to Wal for sharing his design and expertise - the Walbanker ticks pretty much all the boxes I can think of and has been proven in the field. Thanks to Johnh001 for sorting my head out with cam-lock fittings and Andrew at Monaro Metal for folding and welding the box together.

Things I've learned:
- A ready built Walbanker for $750 from Detecta Den is REALLY good value - particularly if you value your time
- Canberra is a small place and everybody is either Wal's mate, knows Wal, worked with Wal, works with Wal or is possibly related to Wal ;) Maybe I'll bump into Wal myself one day.
- When you buy a new pump of eBay, it doesn't have a lot of oil in it. On the bright side, low oil sensor is tested and working. :)
- Fitting hoses (particularly suction hoses) to cam-lock fittings is hard work but go on more easily if you shout expletives and use a hammer
- Cam-lock fittings are cool - should replace those dodgey plastic hose fittings on the garden hose

Pics below. Mostly happy but might do the leg supports again as not enough outward angle. Ran out of angle to support the cable tray so used some reasonably heavy mesh which seems to do the job really well. Setup with catwalk mesh as the sloped aluminium still eludes me. Getting it's first run at Eldorado meetup later this week.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5386/1445837548_walbanker-min.png

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5386/1445837578_mesh-min.png

Build looks great Bob. If you have any queries re any of the internals just go and see Terry at Detecta Den, as he has a Walbanker set up at the moment in the shop. Copy anything from it that you want. ;) Have to catch up with you sometime on the stream. Send me a PM Bob and I'll give you a piece of sloped for the gold only version.

Wal.

jgro1809 said:
A question for the community.....

What do you guys feel is a reasonable 'find rate' when sluicing....as in grams per hour of digging? I'm not talking that best day you've ever had, just a average/normal day out digging when you walk away satisfied with your finds (although I'm sure we all want more!!!)

Just interested to see if my current spot is one I should keep battling with or should I keep searching for something better?

Let's be honest here guys......fishing stories can stay on the fishing forums hahahaha
Dig it until your happy then take to the spots up your sleeve.
It takes effort and time to locate and effort and time to process. Everyone will be different due to setup, time digging and location.
If you ask "What's a good and average day at Tuena or Eldorado?" people can really give you an honest response. Otherwise you're stabbing in the dark.
If there's yellow dig. Or the next bloke will. Have one spot (location) in front of what your working.
Whatever you're digging I hope you're getting plenty. If you don't like what your getting then you've already made your choice. Me personally I love washing rocks, running equipment, digging holes, sampling, being out in the open and more than likely alone, I just love it more when there's a bit extra in the pan at the end.

Latest posts