Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For where I go and how I use it ,it is perfect. bring the water to the dig ,not the dig to the water?

Great little Sapphire version there Varts....no gold will get through that as well. You'll need to take some bigger jars out to those creeks from now on. ;) Have you got about 2 to 3mm gap under that catwalk...??? You want a gap so fines that would normally go through a 1/8" sieve can also go under that expanded.

Wal.

Nice design, and that wavey metal was that specially made, and where do you guys get the expanded metal?

The one in Varts banker is catwalk mesh and is by far the best when you are after sapphires with your gold. The same size but in sloped expanded is what you want for gold only, especially in high ironstone regions. Scrap metal yards is a great place to look.

Wal.

YIPPEKAIAY said:
Wouldnt that size just be better as a river sluice
Just dont understand the need to waste fuel for something that can take 10 mins to set up using waters natural flow
Can't always get flow, and I would question set up time. Some places I've been closer to an hour or more sluice setup to get those beautiful "V" enough flow and proper fall in a good spot, but I like to dig and put it in, not drag what I want to wash distances to the sluice box.

Top effort Varts, that custom leg holders will help the diy guys.

BTW no promises but I've sourced a place for catwalk off cuts that are interested in sending out off cuts. Need to nail some details but with the price they pay for sheets they seem keen to offload their off cuts. Will keep you guys posted I personally don't have the time to entertain it but they were thinking ebay sales.

1445609594_image.jpeg

Yeah Wal ,I have drilled and banged rivers in from the bottom as in pic,L m sure I read this in one of your comments.i had a bit of catwalk left over from my bigger banker,so I thought I'd make a thinner one may have greater water flow at less revs.l need to tidy up the leg connectors and it will be smick,it weighs 6.5 kg ,my take is aluminium and extendable with a spare spray bar.

The rake is alloy slid inside a spare spray bar.
This is by far my best effort yet ,
I don't think making it a bit narrower should affect it to much,it still narrows in 50 mm ver 1.2m ,it rocks good .may need to clean out a bit more ,but I like that part.
Thanks for your comments /advice Wal ,with a bit of luck it will get me a few cutters this season.santas bringing me a gemmasta gf4 for chrissy. :)

Can't beat cutting stones that you've found yourself....Gemmasta's are great machines. Best of luck out there on the stream.

Wal.

Finally finished my Walbanker yesterday.

Firstly, a big thank you to Wal for sharing his design and expertise - the Walbanker ticks pretty much all the boxes I can think of and has been proven in the field. Thanks to Johnh001 for sorting my head out with cam-lock fittings and Andrew at Monaro Metal for folding and welding the box together.

Things I've learned:
- A ready built Walbanker for $750 from Detecta Den is REALLY good value - particularly if you value your time
- Canberra is a small place and everybody is either Wal's mate, knows Wal, worked with Wal, works with Wal or is possibly related to Wal ;) Maybe I'll bump into Wal myself one day.
- When you buy a new pump of eBay, it doesn't have a lot of oil in it. On the bright side, low oil sensor is tested and working. :)
- Fitting hoses (particularly suction hoses) to cam-lock fittings is hard work but go on more easily if you shout expletives and use a hammer
- Cam-lock fittings are cool - should replace those dodgey plastic hose fittings on the garden hose

Pics below. Mostly happy but might do the leg supports again as not enough outward angle. Ran out of angle to support the cable tray so used some reasonably heavy mesh which seems to do the job really well. Setup with catwalk mesh as the sloped aluminium still eludes me. Getting it's first run at Eldorado meetup later this week.

1445837548_walbanker-min.png

1445837578_mesh-min.png

Dirty bob looks like a precision build :D one of the cleanest I have viewed 8) ,
I am no expert and you probably should get wals opinion but the angle holding the bread crate in, looks to me like water and gravel, even gold could run the full length of it and escape , may need some 10mm notches cutting in it at 45 degrees every 4 inches to flow the heavies back on to the crate. :)

Hi Aussiefarmer

Thought about that. Classifier shouldn't let any particularly large material through. It might be possible but given the nature of the boiler box, the gold would need to be up over 18mm from the bottom at the first riffle.. Should be sliding along the bottom at that point and go under.

I suppose I could put a few fins on the strip to be sure. Might see how it goes on the creek and mod if required.

Thanks for the feedback.

DirtyBob said:
Hi Aussiefarmer

Thought about that. Classifier shouldn't let any particularly large material through. It might be possible but given the nature of the boiler box, the gold would need to be up over 18mm from the bottom at the first riffle.. Should be sliding along the bottom at that point and go under.

I suppose I could put a few fins on the strip to be sure. Might see how it goes on the creek and mod if required.

Thanks for the feedback.
Yep test run is the best test , as I said probably wait for a second opinion before changing it. Shes a clean machine mate :D

The Cable Tray.
Under the outer edges run some angle upside down like what is under mine.
Supports it in the middle.
1445862380_banker_boiler_supports.jpg

The legs. I did not splay them and have had no problems.
I was too lazy to do it. :p
The side clamps, don't worry too much about them. Just observe what the
flow is doing and modify if you are worried about them

Love the comment about half of the ACT in on Wal, :lol:
That would come from well deserved respect.
All up that is a very nice build you have there and you can now proudly say,
I built that. :D :D
Now get out there and get it nice and dirty. It is to clean. :lol: :lol:
Looking forwards to catching up shortly.

And Sir,
To Thank You for your brilliant Humor,
PM the measurements you require and I will donate to you for free,
Yes Free.
1 piece of expanded mesh.
It is slightly smaller than used normally but works just as well.
I can put it on OJ's Transport for you.

Latest posts