Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1439362111_sluices.jpg

Slowly getting there with the Walbanker build. I have shortened the overall length of the sluice by 200mm but that is the only change so far. Just have to keep searching for the raised expanded mesh, very hard to find outside city areas.

shortlife, just wondering what size mesh that is in your photo??? That looks like the size I have been looking for.

Hight is about 16mm each dimond is about 40mm by 100mm only thing is its steel not alloy. I brought a sheet 2000mm by 100mm now I'll just sell the rest of as ppl need it. I'll be changing to alloy when I come across it.
willo1 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1986/1439362111_sluices.jpg

Slowly getting there with the Walbanker build. I have shortened the overall length of the sluice by 200mm but that is the only change so far. Just have to keep searching for the raised expanded mesh, very hard to find outside city areas.

shortlife, just wondering what size mesh that is in your photo??? That looks like the size I have been looking for.

Thanks for that shortlife. I've found that finding aluminium expanded mesh is near impossible, especially in country areas.

short,

Where did you find the breadcrate? A guy on Ebay wanted me to pay $150 for a used breadcrate which I wasn't about to do.

-Tom V

Just approach your local Bakeries and see if they have one free , thats all I did :)

Shortlife,

Can we get goin on my chunk of metal grate? Do you take Paypal? I dunno how else to send money overseas?
Just got a quick connect adapter fastened to the backside of my banker box to accept 2.5 inch dredge hose.
Just need the breadcrate and Wals catwalk now. I did find some sloped expanded metal almost 1/2 inch thick with 4 to 1 diamonds but still not what Wal specified. And so thick, I dunno how to cut at home or even how to hold it in my vise as its 2 feet x 4 feet?

-Tom V.

Walbanker build finally completed. As stated earlier, I shortened the overall length by 200mm. This was just for easier transport.
1440068741_walbanker1.jpg

I think I got the bread crate cutout right. I did one miss cut on the right side about three quarters down , but I hope this wont affect it too much.
1440068854_walbanker2.jpg

The bread crate has been cut in half and can be interchanged with more catwalk mesh depending on if I'm chasing gold or gems.
1440069004_walbanker4.jpg

Happy with the end result. Just have to find the time to test it now.

willo1.

Hmm, looks great,now IF I only had some catwalk grating pieces? Winter will be here in less than 2 months and summer in Australia.

-Tom V.

tvanwho said:
Hmm, looks great,now IF I only had some catwalk grating pieces? Winter will be here in less than 2 months and summer in Australia.

-Tom V.
Sorry Tom iv got it cut up and in the car just need to get to the post office

Hi Wal,

I'm new here but the high banker looks like a good bit of kit. I met Bazza2210 on the weekend and he suggested that I have a look at your plans. I might have to make one myself. Thanks again.

Hi Wal, I just started prospecting on my off time after watching many clips of you and Liz and made a highbanker even before my first trip. I was only guessing some measurements and see now i may have to make it longer. Mine is 1200 long and 300 wide with no taper..Can i Taper to 210 if i add extra lenght? and is my pump 210 litres per minute not enough? I am mainly after gems..thanks for your time and any info would help.

Short,

Is your car broke down? I had some sloped expanded flat metal, 3/8 inch tall, cut to size this weekend, best I can hope for looks like.

-Tom V.

KEZZ said:
Hi Wal, I just started prospecting on my off time after watching many clips of you and Liz and made a highbanker even before my first trip. I was only guessing some measurements and see now i may have to make it longer. Mine is 1200 long and 300 wide with no taper..Can i Taper to 210 if i add extra lenght? and is my pump 210 litres per minute not enough? I am mainly after gems..thanks for your time and any info would help.

G'day Kezz,

1200 is long enough mate and 300 wide will work ok for that length, especially if it's mainly gems you're after. 210 L/min will be plenty for a gem banker as you need less water pressure with these than you do for gold only bankers. The idea with the gem configs is to catch as much of the heavies as possible compared to flushing these heavies when mainly chasing the gold.

Stick to more vertical riffle arrangements and shake the banker sideways about every 10 shovels of wash. This will settle the Sapphires, Zircons, Garnets under the iron-stones and Spinels and help keep most in the sluice. This will also sink any gold firmly into the matt as well.

Best of luck out there,

Wal.

Latest posts