WA prospector death and missing wife. The Raymond & Jennie Kehlet mystery.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bones found in mineshaft are missing prospector Raymond Keith Kehlet

Updated Fri at 7:15pm

Prospectors Raymond and Jennie Kehlet are missing near Sandstone
Photo: Prospectors Raymond and Jennie Kehlet had not been seen since March 22. (Supplied: WA Police)

Related Story: Search called off for missing WA prospectors

Related Story: Search continues for prospecting couple missing near Sandstone

Related Story: Human remains found in mine shaft amid search for prospectors

Map: Sandstone 6639

Human remains found during the search for missing WA prospectors near Sandstone have been identified as belonging to Raymond Keith Kehlet.

Police say family members have been notified.

Jennie Kehlet, 49, and her husband Raymond Kehlet, 47 have not been seen since March 22.

Skeletal remains found in an abandoned mine shaft last week were not believed to belong to the missing pair.

Police have now confirmed they were those of Mr Kehlet.

The couple, from Beverley, were prospecting near an area called Table Top, just out of Sandstone, 730 kilometres north-east of Perth.

Police said the couple were not experienced prospectors but were comfortable camping in the bush.

The area they were in is remote bushland with numerous old mine diggings and mine shafts.

Police found the couple's campsite all set up with two vehicles, and plenty of food and water.

There was also a four-wheel drive quad bike found in close proximity to the campsite.

Police said they were alerted to the fact the couple were missing when their dog was spotted in town.

They said the dog walked about 25 kilometres into the town caravan park from the campsite, one week after the couple were last seen.

The dog had a microchip registered with the Town of Beverley and authorities were able to contact relatives and find out where the owners were.

Just looked at ABC site from WA and it states that 22 prospectors have gone missing in WA? (I think they were referring to only WA) in the last 21/2 yrs.... WTF is going on? have we got something more sinister on our hands than just people walking off it the dead of night?
I know it's a big country out there, but like someone mentioned on here "there must be someone who knows something" and mind you I think it was only directed at the disappearances in WA, what about the rest of AU, I am aware of three in Nth Qld alone, gold does strange things to strange people!!!! Take Care everyone, stay safe.
My thoughts and sincerest sympathy goes to those who lost a friend and loved one in the bush, I know what it feels like, I have lost one too!
BJ

I wish the police would just let us know if anything was found with him, like the GPS the detector even water container.

If any of these items were with him, we would have a better idea of what happened.

When we only had one detector we were always close together, my husband always carried the GPS.

For the lost pair if this was the case and he fell and had the items on him, she would have tried to find her way back, hence no GPS she would have got lost.

Now if she had the detector and the GPS on her she would have left the detector at the mine shaft and gone for help with the GPS

Even if she didnt have the GPS and it was with him she still would have left the detector.

I think just on these couple of items and who had them at the time, would give us a clearer outcome, weather or not we need to be worried about that area, and if their is someone causing harm to others.

Maybe down the track the police might say if the items were found with him or even found at all.

If they were not found at all I would say foul play sadly.

Margaret

Sad situation regardless of what happened, condolences to the families and hopefully they get some answers soon.
To anyone that's planned a trip out that way soon, hopefully the public get some answers soon to put your minds at rest either way.
Not a nice feeling wondering what's happened/gone wrong.
Stay safe and aware of your surroundings regardless of the area you're visiting.

I think you can safely say it is foul play of some sort. I also think the police know a lot more than they are saying otherwise they would be asking for public assistance on a large scale. There are way too many scenarios of what could have happened, hopefully the police will release some info in due course. Very sad and very worrying for anyone planning a trip to the area.

I havent been following this closely so apologise if im covering old ground from a previous post but werent the skeletal remains found in the first 2 weeks the couple were missing? I understand conditions up that way are pretty rugged but to become a skeleton in 2 weeks sounds bizarre to me.

Mother Nature can claim back very quickly in the right circumstances.
I will not go into it on here out of sheer respect but 5 to 7 days in the right conditions is all it takes.
My thoughts and wish's go out to the family's and person's involved.

Im told yesterday , no detector or gps or clothes were with the remains ,,
a bit longer than 2 weeks in the old mine shaft i suspect ,,

I started off reading this and thinking that they probably wandered into a mine and succumbed to bad air, or that maybe one of the two fell into a shaft and the other fell also, trying to help. I was dismissing the theories of foul play as fanciful, and too early to say.

Well, with all the time that has passed, all we know is that the skeletal remains found in a shaft are those of Raymond Kehlet. The police have not discussed anything in relation to those remains, such as whether clothes or belongings were found. The police also have not made any comment on the fate of Jennie.

Now, what concerns me is: a) Why have the police not made their usual commentary on the lack of suspicious circumstances? Where is Jennie Kehlet? What was found with Raymond Kehlet? The only reason I can think that the police refuse to discuss this, is that the whole thing is being treated as a criminal matter, and that this stuff is part of the investigation.

Hi All
Here is some interesting comment, which is taken from the DWAG forum.

"
Re: Missing prospectors
New post by Tkinggold on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:47 pm

Got told today from a very reliable source that the body down the shaft was burnt , that's why they thought it was older and had trouble identifying it .
Tkinggold
Detectors and coils used: Lots
Male

Certainly explains a thing or 2 & why the cops are not forthcoming with information!
Lee

I also heard the body had no clothing. I think the same as you guys. There was a meeting held in Perth this week to discuss which way the investigation will proceed. They obviously have some knowledge that they can't share yet. Someone on here commented that her ex was in the area but I believe he was only there after the fact to support his daughter. He is married to another woman. So many theories but whatever has happened is obviously criminal.

rc62burke said:
Hi All
Here is some interesting comment, which is taken from the DWAG forum.

"
Re: Missing prospectors
New post by Tkinggold on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:47 pm

Got told today from a very reliable source that the body down the shaft was burnt , that's why they thought it was older and had trouble identifying it .
Tkinggold
Detectors and coils used: Lots
Male

Certainly explains a thing or 2 & why the cops are not forthcoming with information!
Lee

clothes were burnt ,

Surely there would have to be a coronal inquest into how he died. Strange that police are not saying how he died tho. If they don't know, wouldn't they just say so?

Latest posts