Trommel build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro, that trommel really looks old and rusty, but it had it's time I guess, not that a big problem mate !
How the 60lt drum held to all the rock banging inside and not crack or show any leaks? May be it of rough steel gauge ?!!
I 've though about building from such material but all I found were real thin and won't hold long to rocks tumbling action inside :(

Now I see why you did have rock jams on the tailings end , that problem could be solved by screening of larger ones at the feeding hopper, just a suggestion .

Looks well made, thanks jethro for the pictures :D

Hi geo2 & dwt. Yeah it looks a bit tatty but is still quite sound its been behind my shed for at least ten years. The spray bar /axle and bushings are all ok I might even fix it up and give it another run one day. Its not a runner as it is as I have robbed bits off it for other things over the years.
geo2 It ran at about 20rpm so the rocks tended to slide over each other rather than tumbling and belting the bejassus out of the barrel. the diamond mesh also acted like a cheese grater on the cemented gravels. The quarter stainless mesh was a later addition for chasing sapphires at reedy creek. I sold my big 5.5hp twin impeller firefighter which really was enough pump for all but the heaviest clays, but it was too heavy for the terrain I had to carry it through. Ive got a lighter 2 stroke one now. I also bought 100m of 1.5" layflat so I could work well away from the creek in the terrace deposits.

Thank you jethro !
The sliding action makes sense on that low speed :)
Yub stainless steel mesh is a bit stronger than expanded mesh. I recon they are used here in road material classifiers . Eventually they show wear here and there but they can be replaced, when needed. I found that one can buy cut-offs of these stainless steel mesh type material a bit cheaper than full size plates ! Suitable for DIY prospecting projects :D
I have a small Chinese knock off of Honda pump :lol: that is enough to run the 2 inch highbanker I have. Light weight for transport to distances.
Good idea to get long layflat , sure handy for away of the creek working spots !

im making one out of a big pvc road pipe about 1000mm in diameter on a bbq frame that I have to reinforce but its a working project im going to raid the local tip nest week and see if I can knock up a stronger one for big rocks

I'll pm you mate certainly interested I beleive I can most defiantly make good use of that my friend :)

Edit- I do have a petrol pump mate not the biggest but if need be I will upgrade if need be

Hunting the yellow said:
im making one out of a big pvc road pipe about 1000mm in diameter on a bbq frame that I have to reinforce but its a working project im going to raid the local tip nest week and see if I can knock up a stronger one for big rocks

A 1000 mm 8) this could be a monster :D that equals to 39.3701 inches :eek: how you gonna feed that big beast ?
Provided I understood you measurements correctly ;)

1448659626_image.jpeg

Well I've started I've made the screen tube, now to make the rest, will try make it out of the blue trolley
So it's semi movable.

The screen is about 12" diameter and overall length 1200mm with 800mm screen area

Geo2 said:
Hunting the yellow said:

A 1000 mm 8) this could be a monster :D that equals to 39.3701 inches :eek: how you gonna feed that big beast ?
Provided I understood you measurements correctly ;)

sorry I meant 100 mm not 1000mm ops

Latest posts