Icy Creek, Victoria and surrounds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blackberries are not too bad along the creek. But I suppose it depends on where along the creek one goes.

JIndivik is a nice town. The cricket ground has a spectacular view from one end.
Thats a new cricket ground, it wasnt there when I lived there. Theres a new house on the old cricket ground next to the general store.

This has been an interesting read. I live in the Valley and have been checking out spots in the old Tanjil area that feed into Blue Rock and Icy Creek, but I am only finding super fine gold even with a 10" river sluice.

Would love to go out with some people as I to am new to the gold hunt.

This has been an interesting read. I live in the Valley and have been checking out spots in the old Tanjil area that feed into Blue Rock and Icy Creek, but I am only finding super fine gold even with a 10" river sluice.

Unfortunately, if super-fine gold was what was in the reefs, then super-fine gold is all you'll find with a sluice. However if you're finding super-fine gold in your sluice, that's the hardest kind to retain, so you can be pretty confident that the larger flakes and pickers aren't washing through.

Keep up the work. The area is known to hold nuggety gold, with recorded nuggets of up to 20 ounces found.
Much of the area is covered with older volcanics trapping old stream deposits hundreds of feet above current deeply entrenched stream levels. The gold in current streams today is a mix of both primary (reef) and secondary (old river deposits) so getting close to the original source and the coarser gold could be quite difficult.
Maybe put away the sluice for a bit and do some systematic or random panning. That would allow you to cover many times as many spots for their potential before you put back the sluice.
It is not a well documented gold field but geologic maps could identify the volcanic areas to stay away from.

Unfortunately, if super-fine gold was what was in the reefs, then super-fine gold is all you'll find with a sluice. However if you're finding super-fine gold in your sluice, that's the hardest kind to retain, so you can be pretty confident that the larger flakes and pickers aren't washing through.
2 ofe my mates and I are also new - located in Sale. We are aboutt to start searching between Rawson & Walhalla - found nothing so far but not doing it in the delusion of making a profit. Spent 2 days at Lee Creek- a cha[lleneg in an X-Trail abd found only some303shells. Let us know if you would like to meet up for a days outing sometime.

Hi All,

My partner and I are planning to do a little prospecting around Icy Creek in a couple of weeks time. We are both completely green - I think I tried panning once at Sovereign Hill as a kid, and my partner is probably similar levels of experience, but we are both outdoorsy hands on type people, and follow a lot of gold prospecting and similar YouTubers, so have a bit of knowledge/research behind us, just never put it to practice.

We have access to a creek (Specimen Creek) on family land that we are hoping will turn up something for us, as it has been recorded as producing gold in the 1860's, but at some point part of it was dammed in and a section of it we think was re-routed, so I'm not sure exactly where the original creek bed is or how accessible it will be.

The challenge we have is I have health and mobility issues (part-time wheelchair user) so that is going to create some barriers to where we can go and how much I can do. I think the plan is that my partner does a lot of the leg work while I sit back and scoop what he has collected into the sluice. Lol. We have a couple of small river sluices and will be getting a basic panning kit.

Any tips would be welcome! We know Tanjil River is off limits, and possibly the Latrobe River (we weren't sure from the exclusion list if it was the whole river or just part of it) but we were planning to stick to smaller creeks anyway.

*edited to add, we may end up living part time at this property for a period - if we do and want to spend a bit of time prospecting, is this area any good for detecting, or are we better sticking to panning and sluicing?

Our goal is to find enough gold (preferably on the actual property) to be worth giving to a jeweller or goldsmith to put towards wedding rings (I know we are going to need to supplement with other gold, but if we could find a gram or two to incorporate it would be fantastic, as the property is important to us).

Additionally, if anyone can point us in the right direction for getting gold processed so we can use it for jewellery, that would be fantastic too! We are based in Greensborough.

Thanks!

Sharon
Similar to our little gang - I have had Parkinssons ffor 17 years but refusse to let it stop me - thanks too tomy2prospecting matees who help lug my hardwaree.

Hoping to meet up with oothers who don;tclimb mountai-ns before breakfasst and but still t7ake the activity seriously

Please forgive typing PD is to blalme.

Cheeers - Guy -- Minelab 540
Matt - GoldMonster 1000
Mark - Minelab540

PS - Family and dog friendly

Not wanting to give away a spot before we get there, lol, but they have recently been logging the area that I am pretty sure covers Doyles Creek, so I am hoping the access through there is going to be a bit easier.
Seems to be a few of we enthusiastic prospectors are mobility challenged. Willingness to push harder than the mobos should make finding the gold a piece of cake - well rock cakes atleast -no gold sofar. if anyoned wants tocatchup inmyareaa of Longford VIC- Imake aa goodcoffee.'
cheers Guy (aka Willow after our late Great Dane RIP 6/6/23 age 12.5)

Latest posts