Trommel build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1433428054_image.jpg

So far I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible, hasn't cost me anything yet ^ scored that from my brother, raided his cog from a scrap motorbike engine and the chain. I tested the motor out has the torque to rip my hand off and is a decently slow rmp

I still need the barrel, expanded mesh or something similar for classifying screen, do the plumbing, buy a battery charger for my spare car batteries create some sort of battery bank or just have both charged up. Configure the motor bracket to the frame, something to keep the barrel from sliding off, assemble the top hopper and grizzley, tailings shoot, debating a vibrator for the guzzley or just use sheer water pressure and gravity, won't worry about speed control, lifters and maybe some sort of corkscrew I case I leave it level so everything gets moved out the tailing end

Hey I'm currently researching the same project, I was thinking a wiper motor but running a belt and bit of tension
For rotation, and depending on how big a barrel you want, maybe office paper bins welded together they are
Steel mesh or some are perforated steel, or for bigger maybe couple of small front loader washing barrels welded together
Could work?

Couple ideas there

I was thinking either heavy duty storm water pipe or 90kg lpg tank, I need something with weight, I was working it out last night and if the chain is too tight and it's not supported correctly (barrel) that is once it gets loaded up it could quite easily go lift up and fall off, so I was thinking of the tailing end putting 3 or 4 wheels in either box shape square tube steel, or aluminium to keep the weight down

Generally the trommel runs on 4 wheels set at an angle so the drum falls into it.
Then there is a flange set parallel to it with a thrust wheel that stops it from sliding down.
A belt would be a bit fiddly as it would pull to one side. You could mount it underneath but
it would get a lot of water and debris over it.
A small motor and light chain is more ideal because it does not require much tension.
The bigger commercial units have a gear drive.
3 20 litre drums that stack on top of each other would be a simple way of constructing a barrell but you would have to
work out a gear drive for it.
A piece of storm water pipe that fits through the bell crank drive sprocket off a push bike is fairly large in diameter.
All depends on how far you want to go I guess.

Next1m8 said:
I was thinking either heavy duty storm water pipe or 90kg lpg tank, I need something with weight, I was working it out last night and if the chain is too tight and it's not supported correctly (barrel) that is once it gets loaded up it could quite easily go lift up and fall off, so I was thinking of the tailing end putting 3 or 4 wheels in either box shape square tube steel, or aluminium to keep the weight down

Popeye 54 here.Just reading your posts instead of using a wiper motor, if you can find a 12volt boat trailer boat whinch instead .
I made a caravan mover to move my 2.5 tonne caravan, using bicycle sprockets and chain.
Just a thought
Regards Greg Popeye54

Basically use what is the most efficient out of all of them, ya need one that will last a few hours or so, I just got a windscreen motor for $20 from the wreckers and it runs very quiet and smoothly.
I am still building mine but I have been busy other things.
Good luck.
Cheers
Brad

I built a trommel years ago out of a 60lt drum, some fine diamond firescreen mesh a wiper motor out of a KW truck and some stainless pipe for the trommel axle/ spray bar. pushbike chain and sprockets were used for the drive. Here is the only pic of the old girl in action.
1433549821_trommel.jpeg

Sorry about the image quality, but you get the idea. The axle bushes were made of nylon & ran on the spray bar and were lubricated by water from the pump.

Yep stoyve, It was built for a specific area & type of wash. It was made to knock down as it had to be able to be carried in to the old tailrace you see it set up in, and it had to be able to break up semi cemented bouldery wash. it worked very well, most of the gold was saved in the first trap in the top tray and the first boil area in the bottom sluice box.
Really large rocks used to jam sometimes in the outlet of the screen but it just stalled the motor without damage. The 60lt drum had both ends cut out but a 1 inch lip left to act as a dam to hold back the wash & slow its progress into the screens until it was properly disolved. I drilled a series of holes in the wiper motor between the magnets to allow for better airflow to cool it. The drum & axle & boxes are still behind the shed somewhere.

Hahaha ive been following you next1m8 and i gota say you got the fever bad!!! Nothing wrong with that mate! I wish i had your energy... :D
Dont go burning yourself out take ya time and enjoy it.....you will be better for it in the long run.
Best of luck yobskin.

Hey chris this is what I have left.If you are interested pm me for a ph #
1433757722_dsc00013.jpg

1433757763_dsc00014.jpg

1433757852_dsc00017.jpg

1433757891_dsc00016.jpg

As you can see its not complete, the wiper motor is being used on my wind forge but I found another one under the bench you can have. The drum looks a bit rusty but is quite sound. Some of the brackets for mounting the drum are still around and I think I can find the 1.5"BSP to BSM adaptor. There is also a spare sluice box that goes with it.
Do you Have a good water source & fire fighter pump as it requires a bit of water to run it.

Latest posts