Trommel build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Next1m8

Chris
Reaction score
So I couldn't manage to find a cheap trommel, while I was out prospecting today I came across a bbq that was left to rust so I scavanged what I needed the frame
1433406476_image.jpg

I plan to put some bigger wheels and drill & weld a nut on opposit end of the wheels to add adjustable legs, I need some advice on motor to spin the trommel, I was thinking a windscreen wiper motor to make it more portable and lighter with seeing as it's 12 volts, however I have little to no experience with electronics, How would I go about wiring in a speed selector switch?

Also I am not sure what to build the trommel barrel itself, I was thinking some of that round pipe can't think of what's it's called with 4 sections cut length ways with expanded metal attatched to the outside with some bolts & washers or heavy duty pop rivets,
I don't know if I should make the classification 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch

Also how would I go about making a corkscrew for inside it or should I just leave it without them and add some sort of lifters, and with adjustable legs angle it slightly so gravity moves the lager un classified rocks out..

I have too many ideas but need some advice all help will be appreciated

Wiper motor is the simplest. You only have to work out how to drive the barrel.
Push bike chain and sprockets. ???
As for wiring, Easy mate.
See if you can get one from say a Commodore as it will be easy to replace later on.
Wiring. ???
Call me.

Doug

I would use a starter motor to drive the trummel.I built a duck plucker out of one and they have plenty of toque when full loaded with pay gravel easy to wire up.black earth.red for. go.I'm thinking of using one for my rock crusher as well.all you need is a set of jumper leads and a battery or hook straight up to the car battery.

Next1m8 said:
Should I go 300mm poly pipe? It's 53.99 for 6 meters only I don't need anywhere near that much, or 350 or 400?

Hi next one m8
I have built two trommels.. one 9 " one 6" ..both with windscreen wiper motors... or hand driven. .
I use a belt to drive mine 4 1/2 drive pulley.. they usually have 4 wires on them ie.. one earth and each other wire is for different speeds.
I would not stress to much on speed .. i have tried different speeds but does not make that much difference.. just make sure you can adjust the slope of trommel.

I have been thinking about building one but my Turbo Head is on the agenda at the moment. :D

I'll put slighty larger wheels on the frame* edit @ the back and adjustable legs at front,

Or maybe scooter wheels at the back of the trommel and scateboard wheels at the front to give a slight tilt without having the whole assembly tilting because Id need to make sure the sluice is also on correct angles

I like how your mind works Doug, always up to something my friend

k man said:
I would use a starter motor to drive the trummel.I built a duck plucker out of one and they have plenty of toque when full loaded with pay gravel easy to wire up.black earth.red for. go.I'm thinking of using one for my rock crusher as well.all you need is a set of jumper leads and a battery or hook straight up to the car battery.

I didn't think starter motors like being ran continuously I heard they burn out quick if continually powered? Correct me if I'm wrong

k man said:
I don't know alot about motors but I hesitate to endorse a starter. They are high torque for one (could be geared down) but they aren't meant to be engaged constantly. I found this out trying to use one as an electric winch. It worked pretty well for a while but they tend to burn out. Someone with a tad more knowledge will be able to explain why they burn the contacts out.

I've got a spare commodore wiper motor, I'm going to see my brother and raid his spares I.e motorbike sprocket and chain.. Good old younger brothers haha, for the hopper I have a mower catcher I'll cut the top off, already raided my freezer for the wire rack for the grizzley, going to the tip 2moro too look for scooter wheels, and maybe some small 9inch kids bike wheels for the frame some v-rib rubber to keep the chain from slipping on the barrel, I need some ideas for how to keep the barrel from sliding off the frame I was thinking of getting steel bike rim gutting the spokes cutting it to fit the barrel then weld them and pop rivet them and run the scooter* wheels in those tracks

Goldtarget said:
k man said:
I don't know alot about motors but I hesitate to endorse a starter. They are high torque for one (could be geared down) but they aren't meant to be engaged constantly. I found this out trying to use one as an electric winch. It worked pretty well for a while but they tend to burn out. Someone with a tad more knowledge will be able to explain why they burn the contacts out.
That's what I thought too, I stand to be corrected by someone more knowledged

LOL,
Into it mate.
A starter motor would drag that much current, Your battery would go flat pretty quick. LOL
And besides, What are you going to do with all that torque. ?? Build a 4 foot across trommel. :eek:
Push bike from the tip is all you would need.
I think a starter motor would do more than pluck a duck. :8
Good Idea K Man.
Reason why they burn out contacts is the huge amount of amps they draw.
They are only supposed to be a sort of moment type operation. That is why
your battery goes flat quickly.

Haha feels like a double post. I put it up in good faith. I know its a bit of coin but some of the production run trommel builds are pretty good. At the very least I would model your concept on something they have produced. I say that not because I have no faith in the diy skills of our members, just because you have a plan that someone had thought through and put out in the market with a warranty.

It can be heart ache dragging something out in the bush that comes to a halt. One of the members here builds and sells a great trommel. In my eyes it's money well spent, good design and likely to last over the long term. He uses great materials and products, I reckon its good value. That's not to say don't give a DIY attempt, just do the sums and I think you will see the logic. Have a gander at the for sale section of his past builds. Just pay and play :D

Goldtarget said:
Haha feels like a double post. I put it up in good faith. I know its a bit of coin but some of the production run trommel builds are pretty good. At the very least I would model your concept on something they have produced. I say that not because I have no faith in the diy skills of our members, just because you have a plan that someone had thought through and put out in the market with a warranty.

It can be heart ache dragging something out in the bush that comes to a halt. One of the members here builds and sells a great trommel. In my eyes it's money well spent, good design and likely to last over the long term. He uses great materials and products, I reckon its good value. That's not to say don't give a DIY attempt, just do the sums and I think you will see the logic. Have a gander at the for sale section of his past builds. Just pay and play :D
I gotta roll with GT on this one, for the price and what you get I'd say they are the best in market, I think a relation of his also might make a leading brand of work wear :lol:

hi i would say definitely dont use starter motor

but there are plenty of other types of motors you will see 12 volt motors on ebay all the time and get a speed controller they about $6 for 20 amp rated

i built one years ago with a 12 gallon drum and wiper motor and it worked fine but i think bigger would be better i used pushbike chain and front cog from a bike and built the cog for the wiper motor about 1 inch dia

i have a post showing my old trommel on this site look up my posts if interested

oh by the way the reason starter motors are no good is they are series wound and will rev out to buggery and they only have bronze bearings so will not have bearings for long with continuous use.

you can also use old car generators but you have to mod the windings and they work well, I have used them to drive a 3 wheel bike and as an outboard for a dingy to get out to my boat on the mooring years ago, sure beats rowing , but so many cheap electric motors on ebay these days

cheers Ronk

Latest posts