Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fwdoz said:
I made 2 purchases, and both arrived today.

First is a Pinpointer, so I can cross that off my detecting wanted list.

The second is a pair of Clearview Mirrors for the Prado. Now all i have to do is fit them.

Must be something in the air.....I ordered a Nokta pinpointer yesterday from phase_technical.....got sick of spending half my detecting day down on my knees looking for something my detector swears is there, but I can't find :)

Katabatic said:
got sick of spending half my detecting day down on my knees looking for something my detector swears is there, but I can't find :)

Been there, should have ordered one ages ago. Even with my glasses on I'm damned if I can find what my detector is saying is there. This will make life easier & far less digging.

Bought a Garmin GPS 12 , to make sure I do not get lost on Dee Why Beach ! Paid $100 plus $10 postage from E-bay , looks like new . No manual , just got to print out 66 pages from the internet .

Mike678 said:
Bought a Garmin GPS 12 , to make sure I do not get lost on Dee Why Beach ! Paid $100 plus $10 postage from E-bay , looks like new . No manual , just got to print out 66 pages from the internet .

I bought one of those when they first came out and the GPS 12XL, Now for detecting I use a GPS 76 and a little while ago I bought a spare GPS 72, I love the no BS screens and the fact that they only have what I put on there and they can draw their on map of where I have been, :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
Mike678 said:

I bought one of those when they first came out and the GPS 12XL, Now for detecting I use a GPS 76 and a little while ago I bought a spare GPS 72, I love the no BS screens and the fact that they only have what I put on there and they can draw their on map of where I have been, :Y:

Hey Ridge Runner, is it possible to relocate all your turning points back to where you initially turned on the GPS to find your way back home.
I know very little about them. Would be handy if you got caught out late in the Woods.

I have the file downloaded to the PC . and have printed out about 10 of the main pages so far . Lot of reading 66 pages ... Like to take a hard copy if I go bush .

Paid $110 all up , should do nearly the same as one for $600 . I don't need all those extras ....

Mike678 said:

The 12 is a great little unit.......but you need to be aware of the following:

Memory Battery Low on GPS II, III and 12 series
Certain GPS devices utilize an internal memory battery to ensure user data such as waypoints, routes and tracks can be stored when no batteries are in the device. If this message appears, it is possible to recharge the internal memory battery of the device.

To recharge the internal memory battery in the GPS II, III and 12 series:

Insert 4 new alkaline batteries or plug the device into external power
Turn the device off
Let the device set for at least 24 hours
This process may allow the internal memory battery to recharge. If the low memory battery message continues to appear, the memory battery has failed. Unfortunately, Garmin is no longer able to repair many of the devices that use the memory battery.

https://support.garmin.com/en-AU/?faq=Hb8vTBEcWG5uy215bSBPr8

Trick is to make sure you keep fairly fresh AA's in the unit at all times.....they will keep the internal memory battery charged......the memory battery generally has a long service life if treated properly, but will potentially fail one day......perhaps the ebay seller has put a new one in before listing it for sale.

If the memory battery does fail, there is a video here showing how to replace it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwpybTtTfJo

The battery is a Panasonic VL 1220 Rechargeable Lithium button.....plenty of them on eBay.

Later GPS units don't need a memory battery.....they use non-volatile memory.

The other Johnson inspired me to get a better one.
Got this today for very fair price.
It hasn't done much work thats for sure.
Going on a "3 hour tour" with Gilligan tomorrow :D
1610774647_20210116_150231_copy_1024x1365.jpg

It'll rip the putty out of the window frames. No, most of them are ok to use but do not use high pressure spray as it will lift the previous paint colour and show what was beneath. I used one to do an engine bay clean and it did what I said. If you do be wary of electrical connections.

Nah, she is getting pretty old now. Anything more than a squirt with the garden hose with my thumb over the end of it might be the end of her

Bush said:
Ridge Runner said:
Mike678 said:

Hey Ridge Runner, is it possible to relocate all your turning points back to where you initially turned on the GPS to find your way back home.
I know very little about them. Would be handy if you got caught out late in the Woods.

Sorry for the Late reply,

But YES, Once you have walked to where ever, Select MENU and scroll through the lists and select "BACKTRACK" and press enter and it will take you back to where you started as Long as you saved your starting point, IF you didn't then just walk back and follow the DOTS on the Screen, Ok.

OR, You can just ask it to go to the start waypoint if you saved it at the start.

Hope that helps,

Latest posts