Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Mackka thats part of the reasoning ..I also want to learn these skills so I can use them to develop the productivity of the farm.
Also to provides food for our own table here at home.

Will do Goodie :perfect:

Smokey once we hatch the chicks , I will cull some of the adult male birds from the flock to keep the numbers at a manageable level.
:Y:

nucopia said:
This arrived yesterday..ordered from fleaBay for $80 .. bought it to learn the techniques on a small scale so when we are allowed to return to the farm, I can buy a bigger unite and start incubating a verity of different egg types such as Chicken Duck Turkey and Quail for the farm ..
Already have 6 quail eggs stored away for the first batch , once I collect another few eggs, Ill start the incubation process and in 18<20 days I should have baby quail chicks .. :)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2002_0bfdb9c3-6506-42fb-bd90-7dc970f714a3.jpg

I had an old Galvanised one and I had to turn the eggs half a turn in one direction in the morning and then turn them back in the opposite direction in the evening making sure the eggs never went in a complete revolution, So you had to only turn them forward and backwards,

We started off with about 8 chooks and ended up with a Peacock, Gold and Silver Pheasants and 4 Geese and Ducks, Within about a year and a half we ended up with about 120 of the critters and enough eggs to sell each week and make a profit, :Y:

Good luck and let us know how you get on,

RR are Peacock eggs similar to duck eggs?
Thanks Nucopia, when I was a kid my morning and afternoon chore was to look after the ducks and chickens, Dad looked after the veggie patch and the only things I can remember buying from the door to door vendors was fish (Smoked Haddock) on Friday and fruit which was apples, bread and milk once a week. So stay with it and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Mackka

Thanks RR Mackka
We also had back yard poultry growing up.. chickens bantams ducks and geese.. that was also my daily chore, feed the poultry and collect the eggs..getting 3 to 4 chicken eggs a day now and 6 to 8 quail eggs .. its kept me busy building The coop and hutch and tending them.. just wish we were on our farm doing it..still fresh eggs every day and soon quail and rabbit meat. :drooling:
Cant complain :Y:

Why not let the Mum's incubate and Hatch them ?

Have a brood pen.

Save a lot on power and stuff. :) :0

nucopia said:
This arrived yesterday..ordered from fleaBay for $80 .. bought it to learn the techniques on a small scale so when we are allowed to return to the farm, I can buy a bigger unite and start incubating a verity of different egg types such as Chicken Duck Turkey and Quail for the farm ..
Already have 6 quail eggs stored away for the first batch , once I collect another few eggs, Ill start the incubation process and in 18<20 days I should have baby quail chicks .. :)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2002_0bfdb9c3-6506-42fb-bd90-7dc970f714a3.jpg

Yeah thats what I found from research ..
I think I have a mixed bunch , some Japanese Bob whites a couple of Chinese painted ..typical Heinz verities :lol:
Only getting 6 to 8 eggs a day from 25 birds and I know that of the 25 birds I have , 5 are female ..the rest I need to separate and determine their sex ..
Once I can hatch a new brood of chicks, I will do a cull and keep the biggest and healthiest birds.
I want to keep the ratio at 1 male to every 3< 4 females ..so 6 male 18<20 females.

You really don't need a lot of male's as they will tend to fight with each other...

Plus it is a waste of food feeding them when you don't get egg's from them

All so the male's bird's will be wearing out the hen's..

My mum would make great soup from the male's bird's :D

The generally accepted ratio is 10 hens for every 1 rooster. However the exact ratio for your flock will depend on the particular breeds you have and the number of hens you have. Breeds that are lightweight and active (such as Leghorns and Fayoumis) can have a higher hen to rooster ratio

nucopia said:

We used to incubate hundreds of turkey eggs in an insulated shed. Our incubators were open trays with heating elements underneath and the biggest challenge was keeping the eggs hydrated. I guess that unit takes water in the bottom?

Mackka said:
RR are Peacock eggs similar to duck eggs?
Thanks Nucopia, when I was a kid my morning and afternoon chore was to look after the ducks and chickens, Dad looked after the veggie patch and the only things I can remember buying from the door to door vendors was fish (Smoked Haddock) on Friday and fruit which was apples, bread and milk once a week. So stay with it and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Mackka

I should of said Peahen Eggs, LOL

They are similar except they measure about 100mm round and are as big as your Palm, Much like a Goose egg except Goose eggs are fatter longer all over,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lgr3WbE4cY

Thats right Phil, it has a water tray in the bottom to allow for adjusting the humidity and keep it at the correct level during the incubation period.
On our farm we have tried raising turkey but never had much success.
We can hatch the chicks naturally but few reach maturity. Not sure if its the weather the insects/microbes etc or because of the wet environment in the PI during rainy season ..?
Thanks Goodie , I see I will have to do a lot more research on the quail I have, to get the male to female ratio right.

nucopia said:
Thats right Phil, it has a water tray in the bottom to allow for adjusting the humidity and keep it at the correct level during the incubation period.
We can hatch the chicks naturally but few reach maturity. Not sure if its the weather the insects/microbes etc or because of the wet environment in the PI during rainy season ..?
Thanks Goodie , I see I will have to do a lot more research on the quail I have, to get the male to female ratio right.
Hey mate.
Did you keep the turkeys and chooks together.
If so that is why they don't reach maturity.

Smoky bandit said:
nucopia said:
Hey mate.

We had a few thousand turkeys back in the late 60's early 70's. From memory (and that's not good) we were continually treating them for Black Head. The best treatment was to add potassium permanganate (condys crystals) to their water. We as kids were given the same for all sorts of ailments :)

Moneybox said:
Smoky bandit said:
nucopia said:
Hey mate.

We had a few thousand turkeys back in the late 60's early 70's. From memory (and that's not good) we were continually treating them for Black Head. The best treatment was to add potassium permanganate (condys crystals) to their water. We as kids were given the same for all sorts of ailments :)
Yes mate blackhead is the main killer of turkeys if kept with chickens.
I lost alot of young ones until I was told about this.

Kept them in a separate roost but they were allowed to free range. The Chickens we had were 45 day broilers that we kept caged separate from the Turkeys Ducks and Geese ..
I think black head was the problem possibly because we had a few native chickens mingling with the turkey in the yard..condys crystals sound like a good idea..will file that away for next time we have turkeys..

I made 2 purchases, and both arrived today.

First is a Pinpointer, so I can cross that off my detecting wanted list.

The second is a pair of Clearview Mirrors for the Prado. Now all i have to do is fit them.

Latest posts