Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't help myself. Works out the price of a new big NF coil, about $400 for the pair. I have the Goldfields book as an electronic version but its 644 pages and a monster to mange on the computer.

Author: SMYTH, R. BROUGH, Title: Geological Survey of Victoria.
Publisher: Melbourne, John Ferres, Government Printer, [c.1874]
Description: Large 8vo; pp. vi, 142; 4 fold out lithographs, 1 full page lithograph, 37 b/w illustrations throughout text, rebound in modern green cloth with new endpapers and title on front board in gilt; 1 fold out lithograph called for to face pg. 120, actually facing pg. 118 a tight, good copy.

Author: SMYTH, R. BROUGH. Title: The Gold Fields And Mineral Districts Of Victoria.
Publisher: (Victoria), Queensberry Hill Press, 1980.
Description: Reprint Edition; Thick 4to; pp. vi, 644, frontispiece, 77 illustrations, 7 fold out maps, appendices, original brown cloth, title lettered in gilt on spine, dustjacket, flecking to page edges, bookplate on front endpaper, otherwise a very good copy.

A good read there mate.
I purchased The Gold Fields And Mineral Districts Of Victoria in the 80's for my father. I can't recall how much it cost but remember it was very expensive.
He passed away early this year at 91 so I have it now, complete this some hand written maps I have yet to work out.
and lots of drawing with ideas for sluice boxes etc.
He had the fever bad.
a Great book.

That's a very nice story mate - as you can see, its the reprint. hate to think of how much a first edition is. The Geological Survey is the c. 1874 print and it was about the same price as the 1980 book. Apart from loving these old books, I feel that they were intended to be used by prospectors no matter what era and not left on a shelf. Your Dad has left you some treasure maps - that's pretty neat!! I make them for my grandson for use on the goldfields - how's that for a coincidence! I have only two rules for him and the maps - he is not allowed to use a GPS - must be a compass and protractor, ruler and pencil and MGA and GMS map conversions by long hand not a calculator - them's the rules.

Couldn't help myself, bought that near new Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger off ebay, should be a good all-rounder - just love my older VLF's! :)

today i bought a new heavy duty bucket for my recently bought classifier sieves....
casper
1385723811_bucket.jpg

Sweet! Those classifiers look like they are gold plated. Do you really want to dirty them?

Did not buy but found. I went down to the river today in Warrandyte to test my crevice pump and found this floating in the water. It looks like a Garrett but its "Made in China". Someone obviously had enough with this piece of junk and chucked in the creek. :lol: I picked it up and will dispose of it in appropriate manner to keep Australia beautiful. :D

1385763543_photo-4.jpg

Couldnt help myself {and I blame Redfin for this... :p}
A Bunkers Jet Tent Swag. What a beauty !!!!
Set-up time is next to nothing and pack up is a breeze. It actually fits back in the bag easily.
you wouldnt carry it on your back at 15kg but great for a weekend at the campgrounds.
xkh2.jpg

ONE
oysm.jpg

TWO
u97l.jpg

THREE ! :) :)

Beagleboy said:
Did not buy but found. I went down to the river today in Warrandyte to test my crevice pump and found this floating in the water. It looks like a Garrett but its "Made in China". Someone obviously had enough with this piece of junk and chucked in the creek. :lol: I picked it up and will dispose of it in appropriate manner to keep Australia beautiful. :D

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1151/1385763543_photo-4.jpg

Isn't that place a no detecting area :/

Beagleboy said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1151/1385763543_photo-4.jpg

did you go for a look upstream to make sure there wasnt a body floating around that was formerly attached to it ?

how badly didnt it work anyway ?

did you put a nuggy under the coil ?

HeadsUp said:
Beagleboy said:

did you go for a look upstream to make sure there wasnt a body floating around that was formerly attached to it ?

I walked about 150 m upstream and no body - thank god. It looked like it was in the creek for few days. The batteries are rusty inside but if it dries up I will try if it works but I doubt it.

casper said:
Beagleboy said:

Isn't that place a no detecting area :/

That is correct Casper. Panning and sluicing only.

Beagleboy said:
HeadsUp said:
Beagleboy said:

I walked about 150 m upstream and no body - thank god. It looked like it was in the creek for few days. The batteries are rusty inside but if it dries up I will try if it works but I doubt it.

electronic devices that have gone in the drink can sometimes be salvaged by soaking them in metho for 10 - 20 minutes

then dry them out for a day or two ( some people put them in a bag of dry rice which also absorbs moisture )

give them a blow down to remove dust

then fit some batteries and cross your fingers

never know your luck . it might be useful for an el cheapo machine just for checking tailings heaps after highbanking

Well I am flying out of Thailand tonight and back home in Nowra tomorrow and decided to stuff a couple of tennis racket style fly/mozzie zappers in the bag and its chockers now. Anyway see you guys soon.

Latest posts