Time for a change

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone, I've not contributed for a while as I've been spending all my time renovating a house to rent out, building a 100 square metre shed for my equipment and toys. Running a concrete business and working a part time job at Marine Safety Qld. It equated to 15 odd hours a day for the last 5 months. I quit the part time job a week ago, finished the Reno the same week and started work on 15 slabs that a new builder has offered me. The painful part is that all of that stuff took its toll and today I'm sitting on a hospital bed waiting for an angiogram. It seems that you can only burn the candle at both ends for so long before it bites you in the bum ?. I am pissed to say the least. I hate not being able to pull my weight. I would love to pull the pin and retire early but can't afford to. I am trying to see the good in it such as forced rest but I could do with a bit of good fortune. There's always Lotto I suppose ?. Anyway cooler weather is coming in a couple of months and I'll be able to head up to the Palmer River for a wander around. That's worth looking forward to. Good luck with the hunt all. Cheers, Rick

Don't beat yourself up Kem, you're a hard worker, and this might be a wake up call, to slow down a bit. You take care Rick and just do what you can do, all the hard work is no good if you get seriously ill.

Be well.

Take a big breath and enjoy the aircon for a while, reduce your workload to an acceptable level,.. even if you have to pass a few of the slabs out to some of your mates, colleagues, or even the opposition,... you might make a new friend even in the last one.
Do what you can and don't even think on what you can't do,... give the ticker a catch up holiday. ;) :D
Hope your feeling much better real soon KJ.
Silver. :D

Rest up mate....adds years to your life.
I did the same thing 18hr days 6 days a week 5years straight stress levels in the extreme...heart threw in the towel ..all at the ripe age of 26...Doctors were shocked from my work load.
They said your body tells you when its had enough...after 8days bed rest in hospital and a life overhaul...i felt great! Havent had one since but if i didnt change life to better my health it would be a different story...so just enjoy it mate you have found your limit. And thats a good thing you wont push your self to hard....

I struggle with the guilts with not working alongside the boys but I know I need to back off a bit. It is good to have workers who can get it done whether you're there or not. I have been fortunate have two full timers who have been with me for more than 10 years and part timers who I've used for a similar piriod

G'day Rick,

I hope the test results are good and it doesn't turn out to be as serious as it could be. Take care of yourself, life is too short.

I can also hear the call of the Palmer!

Cheers

Gerard

The head cardiologist has just been and is confident of a good result. If needed he will put a stent in straight up and the ones they use will last for 20 to 30 years. That'll do me ?. The head guys are getting younger and younger. It is amazing to see how incredibly talented our young people are these days. I think we are in good hands. Cheers Rick

Gotta give Kudos to the quacks. Some of the local plods might not be very thorough, and prone to handing out pills and misdiagnosis, but if the fit hits the shan, you can pretty well guarantee you will end up in the best hands.
It's not the physical exercise/work that will kill you-it's the stress. If you can create a life with activity and zero stress you're on a winner.

Good luck Rick, and take a step back.
I did the same thing just over 20 years ago, worked 400 odd days straight before I woke up.
Pulled the pin as I had 3 young kids and found a 4 day a week number close to home.
Have had a long weekend every week ever since.
I dropped thousands, but you adjust and make do.

Mate take the forced time out to re focus, get better and look after yourself.
I work too hard and had 2 x heart attacks last year so Im feeling your pain and anguish.
Good Luck
GT :)

Mate I'm like yobs, heart kicked it at 24 after a 3 week straight working stint, and not even manual labour, just stressful office crap. Waiting to hear when my 4th open heart surgery will be at end of month. Life is still good with a bad ticker, just gotta be more careful!

Like others said mate, just take it easy for a bit. Earning good money for long hours is great, but you can't enjoy it if your not here.

Gotta find that happy medium ground and know your limits.

Hope it all goes good for ya Rick!

Same happened to me about 5 years ago and being self employed I just pushed to hard.
Now I listen to what my damaged body tells me and take a rest regardless of deadlines.
Life's good ;)
Cheers Steve

kemjak57 said:
Anyway cooler weather is coming in a couple of months and I'll be able to head up to the Palmer River for a wander around.

A little birdy told me you were crook mate, take it easy eh and take your time getting better. I know first hand how much of a hard arsed go-getter you are!
So take it EASY! (Orders there!!)
All the best from me, Sarah and the boys eh?!

When you come up the Palmer. I'll have to leave the rest of the crew on the bottom lease and you can come up to home and lounge about on the leather couch watching telly by the fridge!!!

You take care of yourself bud.
Just take a stand back.
You know those boys of yours can get it done with or without you there.
Now that the rental is done, you will have time to finish off that beast of a banker.
The palmer awaits, with the cooler weather.

Simmo will look after you.
( would you like another beer Rick ) :D
I will see you soon, and don't over do it.
Cheers Kane.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your sentiments. Still waiting to get the procedure done. There is a long line up. I've watched a few prospecting videos (without the misus interrupting) ?. That's a bonus. The latest Goldhounds one is quite good. Two hours of salivating ? those guys have done well.

Latest posts