Test plug for yabby pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y4k

Reaction score
Does anyone know who sells these? I spent all yesterday trying to track one down in Moe/Morwell/Traralgon area and couldnt find anyone who stocked them...tried Bunnings, Reeces, anywhere i thought would stock plumbing supplies but had no joy. Have seen them in ebay but the prices are excessive for a DIY yabby pump build so would rather avoid that path if at all possible, but after yesterdays efforts it may not be...any help appreciated
Regards y4k

Do you mean the rubber plunger pad. ?
Way I have done it is to get a thong and cut a plug out of it.
And that was after paying an exorbitant amount for a new one. :D

1447365325_images.jpg

Most of the yabby pump builds i have watched on utube use these or similar and as im slightly 'engineer' challenged thought it easier to head in the same direction but could well work out cheaper to buy myself a holesaw bit and sacrifice the old pluggers cos as u say the prices i have seen certainly made my jaw drop...was equally suprised at the difficulty i had in finding one, not that im any expert when it comes to plumbing but thought they would be an everyday item at a plumbing supplier :eek:

Hi y4k Yeah, I was going to build my crevice sucker with these but had the same problem, so went to my mates and he had some old thongs in his shed so I made my washer with a bit of thong, and on the top and bottom I had some rubber washers I cut out, it works a treat, very happy with mine.

cecc said:
Hi y4k Yeah, I was going to build my crevice sucker with these but had the same problem, so went to my mates and he had some old thongs in his shed so I made my washer with a bit of thong, and on the top and bottom I had some rubber washers I cut out, it works a treat, very happy with mine.
Sounds like thats going to be the easiest and cheapest option...i guess atleast that way i can make a stockpile of them lol
Tks guys

AtomRat said:
So you guys are just talking about the foam / rubber piston seal in pumps yeah? That red things a replacement? Bit confused what's being said
Yeah that was going to be the piston, had heard about the thong plug before but thought these might last longer before needing replacing...guess for cost of a pair of thongs it doesnt really matter. Was more that in all the vids i had watched these were used and i could be sure that i would get a good seal/vacuum...but for cost and effort its going to take to find them, the thongs win lol

Use your hole saw set to make two metal washers that sandwich the thong plug.
Same as a Yabby Pump. :D
As it wears just tighten the nut to compress it.
If you are worried that a good enough seal is not happening, use two.

Getting a bit enthused about this.
I have a few ideas of a different design.
Cogs are still rattling. :lol:

Tathradj said:
Getting a bit enthused about this.
I have a few ideas of a different design.
Cogs are still rattling. :lol:
Haha get those creative juices flowing...off to the Hardware store for a new holesaw set, ofcourse the one i want is the one thats missing...damn that murphy!!

AtomRat said:
So you guys are just talking about the foam / rubber piston seal in pumps yeah? That red things a replacement? Bit confused what's being said

Yeah AR. The seal at the bottom of the piston rod, whatever you're using. The Yanks use this test plug thing, but have found they are hard to find, that's why I went to a bit of thong and some 3-4mm rubber on the top and the bottom of the main thong washer, works good will do a photo and post it. For you all.

The washers you need are called mudguard washers, in hanging packs at the hardware store. My plunger I cut out of high density foam rubber. You don't need a holesaw, just mark the circle with a pen or texta, then cut out with scissors- keep them at an even angle and steady curve. If the end result is a slightly tapered bung-shape (due to the scissors pulling the rubber as it cuts) , just put the thicker side upwards, creating a cupped-up washer, like a leather bore cup washer. I used two thicknesses.
1447738430_camera_388.jpg

Latest posts