Sucker Pump Project - Finally Started

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom

Eric Walker
Reaction score
All

Have been running the plans through my head since the week-end at Tuena. I used the EMRO unit on the yabby pump it worked Ok but wanted to build a new one

I have been stuck as the bits I found were not matching. I had mismatched high pressure and plumbing pipes and fittings.

What I am trying to build is either a 2" or 1 1/2" system, using 2 one way valves ( I will try to make my own - if I cant find a wafer type small enough, as I want the valve inside the fittings on the Y (Wye) PVC fitting, as close as possible to the junction so the material falls easily into the outlet tube, at the same time trying to maintain a (1") opening all through the material path.

My main issue is adapting(reducing) the Wye Y fitting opening down to take a threaded male adaptor 1" opening so that I can screw on the different sucker probes that will have.

I had some luck this morning and dropped into a pump supplier, he was really helpful. 30 minutes later I walked out with the parts, for the core of the unit. I have gone with the heavier high pressure PVC fittings, therefore, I have dropped the design down to 1 1/2" system, with a maximum of 7/8" max opening on the intake and 1" on the outlet.

Materials I still need to find.

If anyone has suggestions they would be appreciated.

1. Plumbers TEST PLUG, the only types I can find are very bulky. I want the type I've seen on a few other builds which are very compact, I may even use 2.

2. The Wafer Swing Check Valve, the pump shop is trying to source a unit he had fitted in a small electric pump. This will make life easy if I can get these (Price being reasonable), Other wise I will find another type that I can cut down or will attempt to make my own. On the outlet I may fit a standard valve assembly along the hose just before the collection bucket.

I need the valve to be approx. 1/4" high (hopeful I know) and approx. 1 1/2 " external diameter with and valve opening at least 3/4".

1399612358_parts_i_need.jpg

Kind Regards,
Eric

ive seen valves similar to that in clark rubber in the pool components section in Ballarat, backcreek i'd send the ebay seller a message i noticed recently that nearly all US freight shot up to crazy figures. I think the their calculator that displays the wrong pricing. I got 2 classifiers, and a few other bit from the us for $15 freight arrived in 3 days.

Well have given up on finding valves and am making my own see photo. Very compact and fits inside the fitting.

Have made the inlet valve and test results were good, only with water, so will proceed to make the outlet valve.

1399981188_inlet_valve_completed_closeup.jpg

1399981188_inlet_valve_completed.jpg

Have also given up on the Plumbers test plugs and made mine from a few plastic washers cut from the Bread tray and some cut down Suction Washers.

I need to find some very light 32mm hose the main brand I can see is Barfell but this is for the high end market, does anyone have any suggestions.

Biggest mistake I have made, to date, is using high pressure fittings, they are so heavy. I think I will try to attach a wiper sniper handle to allow me to control the movement as the suction end is very heavy.
Regards,
Phantom

That lools pretty good mate. Theres a smooth bore airseeder hose you can get from midland irrigation for around $$11 pm

Great topic, will be good to see the final result. Hope it works well so I can have another project to build. Tks

After pricing parts to build a sucker ourselves we decided to just buy these - $120 for the large and medium sucker. The tiny weenie one is a oil sump sampler. We now have crevices of all sizes covered and they are well on their way to paying themselves off after one weekend.

Hose found

G0lddigg@

Thank you for your response.

I was looking at the airseeder hose but it is a bit heavy and expensive.
I found 32mm, $4.50 per meter, Black, smooth bore, light weight (330 grams per meter) pond hose at the following link: http://www.irrigationstore.com.au/Product/ProductDetail.asp?lngProductID=10835

I bought 6 meters and they have fixed shipping $16, so with a few other fittings, well priced, it was a good deal.

Kind Regards,
Phantom

I can supply any hoses that you need. My price on Magflex hose for that size would have been $4 /m.

Shipping is a pain with hose though. It's tricky to get a good price for freight. An excellent site I use for freight is www.baggagefreight.com.au
They have an online calculator which is really handy

Latest posts