Yabby pump attachment for loaming and crevicing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Grant
Mate no offence intended here,
In recent times on a number of "Forums" there has been a discussion on "Loaming", I feel that there a many people using this term incorrectly.
The method you mentioned above is not true "Loaming" what you are doing is "Stream Sediment Sampling" or "Alluvial" sampling as it is focused on determining the "Gold Values in the Alluvium".

True "Loaming" is conducted external to the boundaries to any creek, on the slopes the aim of "Loaming" is to determine the location of "Gold" shedding down a slope (steep or flat) & to follow the gold till it leads you to the point where it is shedding out of the ground there for finding the "Source" or gold deposit/ reef.

In my opinion these 2 terms should be used in the correct context to help newbies understand what is being done.
Yes Grant "Loaming" is bloody hard work but the rewards are great.

Once again please don't take offence as none is intended, I felt I needed to make this point.

BTW I think you will definitely require the check valves.
cheers
Lee
could start up a debate here :) .... I totally disagree I've studied Loaming , Ive read the books and I consider loaming to include testing the gold which has made its way to the creek, in fact one of the first statements in a diy book i have starts by sampling up from alluvial creeks to establish a source untill she dries up then go the other way, try to establish and entry point into the system. The main focus for me when loaming is to study the gold, i.e. if its round its traveled if its flat its really traveled if its chunky start sampling loam in the area.
loam literally by definition "a rich soil consisting of a mixture of sand and clay and decaying organic materials" I personally don't think it matters if its in the creek or not the objective and intent is the same.

But hey I might just be picking at straws :D side note gold is back up baby ! 44.99 a gram as of right now :)

G0lddigg@ said:
Hi Grant
Mate no offence intended here,
In recent times on a number of "Forums" there has been a discussion on "Loaming", I feel that there a many people using this term incorrectly.
The method you mentioned above is not true "Loaming" what you are doing is "Stream Sediment Sampling" or "Alluvial" sampling as it is focused on determining the "Gold Values in the Alluvium".

True "Loaming" is conducted external to the boundaries to any creek, on the slopes the aim of "Loaming" is to determine the location of "Gold" shedding down a slope (steep or flat) & to follow the gold till it leads you to the point where it is shedding out of the ground there for finding the "Source" or gold deposit/ reef.

In my opinion these 2 terms should be used in the correct context to help newbies understand what is being done.
Yes Grant "Loaming" is bloody hard work but the rewards are great.

Once again please don't take offence as none is intended, I felt I needed to make this point.

BTW I think you will definitely require the check valves.
cheers
Lee
could start up a debate here :) .... I totally disagree I've studied Loaming , Ive read the books and I consider loaming to include testing the gold which has made its way to the creek, in fact one of the first statements in a diy book i have starts by sampling up from alluvial creeks to establish a source untill she dries up then go the other way, try to establish and entry point into the system. The main focus for me when loaming is to study the gold, i.e. if its round its traveled if its flat its really traveled if its chunky start sampling loam in the area.loam literally by definition "a rich soil consisting of a mixture of sand and clay and decaying organic materials" I personally don't think it matters if its in the creek or not the objective and intent is the same.

But hey I might just be picking at straws :D side note gold is back up baby ! 44.99 a gram as of right now :)

Golddig
Okay lets agree to disagree, don't want to hijack this thread, Sorry Grant.
Yes the main focus should be the characteristics of the Gold, it is not the size that needs to be considered more so the texture or appearance & colour, I disagree with what you said above in that if it is flat it has really travelled? not always the case.
I will leave at this for now so we can get back on topic here with the Yabbie Pump Thing, I will start another thread soon where we can dicuss the Loaming V Sampling.
cheers, good healthy debate is a good thing for all.
Lee

Ok I didn't get a chance to test this in the field (too busy metal detecting some new ground) but I did go out to Warwick on the weekend and brought back some gold bearing buckets of material from one of the gullys at Glendon's. I just got around to processing the material so I put it through the Highbanker and processed it down. This gives me three buckets of classified materials. The first being the rocks that come off the back end of the Highbanker. The second being the slurry left over from the sluice as I recirculate my water and finally the concentrate that I pan. It was the latter that I tested the new device with as it is the closest to the material I see in the crevices in the gully's and creeks where I go.

First test using the short device was a complete failure due to the screen on the end that I was hoping to use to drain the water from the heavies. It just wasn't allowing the yabby pump to generate any suction. So quick trip to Bunnings was in order for an end cap to replace this end on the small sampling pot.

Second test I fitted the new end cap to the sampling pot and it worked like a treat had a good collection of heavies in the pot and only light material coming out the other end. It gives me just enough to fill a pan. This should be good for the sampling/loaming I do.

Third test I fitted the long nozzle and tried that it also worked like a treat.

Fourth test fitted the hose and bucket instead of the sample pot. Complete failure again. It will definitely need a check valve as it isn't allowing the yabby pump to generate any suction. The valve will need to be closed on the fill stroke and open on the empty stroke.

So all in all a partial success. :)

Hey thanks for posting, I've often wondered whether it'd be easy enough to make these sort of modifications to a yabby pump (having never used one). Keep us updated on how you go, I'd definitely be keen on making myself one in the future!

could not get the nice slimline check valves.
3/4' copper nozzle to be fitted, testing tomorrow.
1383961730_imag0206.jpg

tested at Hill End & put it back in the car.
Two problems that I see are:-
heavies sit on top of the valve
the seal on the pump is not good enough.

the good bit is that the valve at the end of the red hose worked well.

Thanks for the update slowflow. Is there anything you could change to overcome those issues?

Hey slowflow nice looking build you have there.

Is the rubber seal at the end of the yabby pump the one you are referring to? Have a look at mine as I use a screw in arrangement that is a tight fit on the end of the yabby pump it provides a very good seal.

The trick with these is maintaining the suction on the fill stroke. Hope it comes good for you :)

Regards,

Grant

Ok finally got to give this a really good field test yesterday and it works great. :D

I found the best way to use it was that if I pull back on the handle and then let it sit the materials start to slide back down the pipe and the heavy material goes to the collection pot. Then I push down on the handle after a second or two and flush the water back out.

It worked fine until a stone got caught in the funnel and then it blew the collection pot right off with a bang so its definitely building up sufficient pressure to collect material. I cleared the stone from the funnel and it was working well again.

None of this is glued together its all just pushed together parts I did while I was in Bunnings that day so its amazing it is handling those kinds of air pressures well. The collection pot just gets pushed into the bottom of the device.

I have a bad back so this was great it meant no more bending over to collect material for the gold pan. Once I am finished creviceing I just take the collection pot off and pour it into the gold pan and rinse the pot out with some water into the gold pan.

I found only fly poo sized gold in the area I was in but the fact that it collected that is a good sign that if the bigger stuff was there it would catch it. :)

Have a look at the gold'n'sand website
They do sell those check valves
I was thinking of getting some for my yabbie pump

Need to get mine set up because we will need them at this other spot, not just for crevicing but pumping water up the embankment. we will need to use one as a pump

Hi Kane,

My device seems to be working fine without the check valve catching tiny fly poo sized gold. I just let gravity do its thing.

But there is a local marine shop in Cairns that has the EMRO yabby pump converter with the check valve in it I was going to go check them out to see if adding it makes any difference to its operation.

They are called whitworths marine. They sell them for about $14 according to the website:

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=136&item=67611&intAbsolutePage=

Have to catch up again soon and you can try my one out for yourself. :D

Cheers
Grant

Thx for that.
I am heading home on the first on next month
Will be home for 2 weeks but im getting married on the 7/7
So I will try and get out for a day, or at least a few hours

XIV said:
Thx for that.

Cool, I wont be home after the 10th heading to Perth, for a couple of days, via Cairns.

XIV said:
Thx for that.
Congratulations Kane! Hope you and your partner have a great day and married life together. May all your troubles be little ones :D

GoldCheddar2005 said:
XIV said:
Thx for that.

Cool, I wont be home after the 10th heading to Perth, for a couple of days, via Cairns.

Perhaps we should organise another coffee catch-up for all the FNQ folk at NQ Miners den.

GoldCheddar2005 said:
Need to get mine set up because we will need them at this other spot, not just for crevicing but pumping water up the embankment. we will need to use one as a pump

The whitworths device ($14) will turn the yabby pump into a bilge pump but you may actually be better off buying an electric bilge pump 2000gph ($40-60 at supercheap) or if its a large embankment get yourself a petrol powered transfer pump ($300-500) you could then use this with a Walbanker if you decide to build / buy one.

Latest posts