Pump this, Sluice that...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1432979975_img_20150530_195812.jpg
1432980078_img_20150530_200030.jpg
1432980356_img_20150530_200205.jpg
1432980381_img_20150530_200408.jpg
1432980421_img_20150530_200443.jpg
1432980459_img_20150530_200520.jpg

Look at those hot long legs... :lol:

Your right on the money mate, :D
Now just get out there and get into it. :D
Oh, And Good Luck...

My partner just pointed out that it should not be confused that I'm refering to the 15mm PVC legs of the sluice, and not those of her seven year old daughter :eek: :( ....fail.

...just waiting for where the good weather meets my time off work, and it'll be sweet. ;)

Cheers

http://youtu.be/WVeIHjneC2E

http://youtu.be/fVsMuJonh3k

Changed the spray bars from 3/4 inch to 1 full inch.

Easier on the engine, runs on lower rpm now

Cut a 12 slots instead of the previous 8 on either side of the 3/4 riser.

....runs nicely.

What should I do about that wave ( rooster tail ) I've got there. Just need some info before I go off 'half-cocked'

Also, the material in the mesh is after about 20 minutes of running. It was two twenty litre buckets and I'm not sure if I've got it working correctly. It seems overloaded for how little i be run. Those big rocks just clog up the first section of the slopes mesh and I'm sure that it affects the performance of the expanded section. 8.(

Cheers

Chris.

Hi Chris,
I Looked at your rooster tail and mate that thing is going to bring all your hard work undone, I have some experience at building these things but I'm not the expert and what I will pass onto you is what I would do if it were mine.
I would be put mesh with miners moss in the bottom box right down to the bread crate ...looking at what you have there is the water blasting anything that gets trapped in the expanded mesh from underneath,
Another thing that helps me is the 8" to 1" rule!! For every 8inches long drop the front of the sluice 1" this is not set in stone but gives you a starting point to work off, and make sure to use a spirit level to set your levels properly.
Another thing you can possibly look at doing is go away from steel mesh to Aluminium mesh....cheers..

BJ

BJ Bates said:
Hi Chris,
I Looked at your rooster tail and mate that thing is going to bring all your hard work undone, I have some experience at building these things but I'm not the expert and what I will pass onto you is what I would do if it were mine.
I would be put mesh with miners moss in the bottom box right down to the bread crate ...looking at what you have there is the water blasting anything that gets trapped in the expanded mesh from underneath,
Another thing that helps me is the 8" to 1" rule!! For every 8inches long drop the front of the sluice 1" this is not set in stone but gives you a starting point to work off, and make sure to use a spirit level to set your levels properly.
Another thing you can possibly look at doing is go away from steel mesh to Aluminium mesh....cheers..

BJ

Thanks, BJ

It has been doing my head in for a few weeks.
It's isn't any good either.

I'll be looking into some simpler options hopefully, but I've been along the exact same line as you. - it may have to be redone -

Cheers

Chris

I think your rooster tail problem is caused by the hungarian riffle type of expanded in the first section of your banker.
If you are going to use that style I would suggest using a smaller gauge.

Or if you can find some expanded aluminium like wal uses, that stuff is great in a banker of your size.
:)

Ok,
Drop the back of the banker down about 50mm.
Try your 3/4 spray bars again as you will need the water "Jetting" out to
break the material down.
Your suction hose would only need to be 3 meters long.
Try a piece of ally angle in under the start of the expanded to even out the force of the water.
Make sure it is not higher than the expanded.
I noticed in the second clip at .20 the fines in the expanded.
That is what you need.
The tap you have. Have a look down through it. I bet it is only about an inch in diameter.
There is a ball valve plastic tap with a 1.5 inch bore..
If it comes to it, I will cut and send you some expanded ally from what I have. It is slightly smaller than
what Wal states but works really well in my WalBanker.
Would probably suit you better with the size of yours.
Reeks, Spot on mate. LOL
You posted that while I was generating this post. :D

Hey, Reeks

That may be an idea. I think I'm just holding onto the hope of I just keep putting it off it'll magically sort itself out. :p

Hopefully these posts will live on for years on the net for others who will walk in my footsteps.

Cheers

It's all trial and error when your new mate, there's nothing wrong with that.
You have the right idea, but I believe that size sloped expanded is suited to a lot bigger sluice setup that would run more water and more width.

And as Wal has said, squish your bread crate down into your moss - there's some good builds on the forum, take ideas from them and you'll have gold crumbs in your jar in no time ;)

Latest posts