Squirrels Equinox Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting indeed :cool:

I thought at first glance you were selling coffee with a golden twist :lol:

That Trans Vall medal must have blown you away when you find it :party:

Super duper cool stuff all round :Y:

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone. :Y:

Smoky & Wishfull, I keep hesitating to pan the samples, not sure if it's because of the fear of muffing it or that i'm savoring the unknown. :p

Wally, Thanks mate. :Y: the cuts are a little rough but i will get better at it, and i don't mind experimenting, so we'll see what comes up in the future. :D

Scrounger, cheers buddy. I think the sachets look awesome, it's a shame to cut them open ]:D your right mate i did do a jig when i unearthed the boer war medal. :D

Sandta, you are a true gem mate. :Y: I will certainly do something special with it. Thanks for your generosity, can't wait for it to arrive. :eek: ;) :Y: :Y: :Y:

There are times when i wait in anticipation of your response old mate ;) and it never fails to amaze me how perceptive and intuitive you are. :eek: That comment from you pleases me no end :) This is only the first cut, i have bigger and better ideas, but you obviously get the drift of where i am going. :Y: maybe now, others will get the gist of why i spend so much time prettying the finds up. :rolleyes: Because we dig, they don't hold value to coin collectors, :( but dressed properly they can hold value to history buffs or relic and artifact collectors. maybe even the local museum. :p Because in truth, they really are, treasures of a bygone era. ;) Hopefully, by the time i move on to that great treasure hunters paradise in the sky, i will have a collection that some would die to own. 8)

Thanks for your comment Silver. :Y:
silver said:
I like your value adding scheme SS :Y: O:) :Y:

busted the handle on my little digger, been using a plastering trowel for a couple of weeks while waiting for my digger to be fixed. love the long handle, will give it a try tomorrow. :D

1535199927_dsc03240.jpg

I have been a busy little squirrel over the last few weeks, but, i have managed a few hunts in that time. I have also procured 3 more permission sites, researched some potential sites for both Capa & myself, cleaned and photographed the finds, and 1st panned a bag of concentrates from the golden spear mine.

I will post the pics up in order of the hunts, but before i do I would just like to acknowledge the generosity of all the leaseholders, who, have kindly given me the opportunity to try and extract some of the well hidden history of the yorke peninsula.

Hunt 1

A new permission site, which was previously a school from 1879-1988. The original weather board duplex, which was the school house & teachers residence joined, burnt down in Dec 1928. The new stone school house and weatherboard residence were rebuilt separately at different locations within the site. other areas of interest on the site are the playground, the tennis courts, the activities field/oval and cricket pitch, a dump site, and of course, the original building site.

I only tested the site for about an hour to get a feel for where everything is located, and will spend a day there in the near future.

1535809009_dsc03146.jpg

Miracle medal (Bucket lister)
1535809139_dsc03150.jpg

1535809275_dsc03151.jpg

Avon & maxfactor mascara/eyeliner sticks & a Gargoyle?
1535809336_dsc03149.jpg

1535809817_dsc03157.jpg

Cheers guy's. Whilst researching the historical data on the school site it has come to light that there are two other potential sites in the area. :D An old church site that was demolished and a new church built elsewhere. Also a miners hut that housed 2 married men and 2 single men, the hut was also used for church services prior to building a church, and also school lessons prior to the establishment of the aforementioned school. Hopefully i can locate the exact locations of these and obtain permissions to have a squizz. :cool:

Hunt 2

Got a message a couple of sunday's ago from Wishfull, 2 blokes with detectors driving a white 4x4 at the local school. So i go for a "curiosity killed the cat" (Doh, where is that big glasses emoji?) look. A father and son team from a neighboring town, ran out of sites and have to look further afield, using a ctx & nox. To cut a long story short, we had a conversation about the code of conduct, & environmental standards, required to keep the local community complacent, and our hobby prospering. I then happily showed them a few of the productive sites localy on the guarantee they wouldn't rape & pillage. ;) i also invited them to have a look at PA and consider joining, and sharing their ideas and finds with other like minded folk. Anyway's, all three of us ended up at the old school site (local) and below are my finds from that hunt.

1535856936_dsc03133.jpg
1535857002_dsc03134.jpg
1535857111_dsc03135.jpg
1535857189_dsc03136.jpg
1535857225_dsc03139.jpg

Sounds like you have plenty of real interesting sites to keep both of you busy. Love the cleaned up Gargoyle stopper, guessing it's from some sort of oil container - quote from Exxon Mobil ("Gargoyle - As early as 1869, Vacuum Oil used a stylized red gargoyle to advertise petroleum-based lubricants for horse-drawn carriages and steam engines".)

Great info GP :Y: thanks for sharing that mate, i couldn't find anything on it. :perfect:
Goldpick said:
Sounds like you have plenty of real interesting sites to keep both of you busy. Love the cleaned up Gargoyle stopper, guessing it's from some sort of oil container - quote from Exxon Mobil ("Gargoyle - As early as 1869, Vacuum Oil used a stylized red gargoyle to advertise petroleum-based lubricants for horse-drawn carriages and steam engines".)

Latest posts