Some finds from Lowmead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Wow Ktmman,.. What a stone that big one is :eek: ,... and a seive full of color. :eek:

How good is that haul??? Nice colours there & plenty of it.
I haven't been up there in awhile due to work so just been hunting old coins around town instead. Should be good to roll again in a few weeks.

Did you bring your brother home or bury him there? :)

Ha Ha ha Ben,it's been tempting.
After he got on to yet another pocket I jumped in his hole to take a look,half heartedly scraped the face and a nice piece fell out.
I just couldn't seem to catch a break today. But there is always next time :)

See what happens when I don't go!!!!! Jeez, I was set up to go yesterday morning but when I got up and it was raining I decided t give it a miss - that's a haul there Richard!! :eek: Well done! :)

Some good colour as well - many of them look to be a straight mid-purple rather than the smokey purple variety?

That's exactly what I thought Lefty, I even rang my bro and said it's too wet, but I'm glad we went.
They didn't get much rain up there and it turned out to be a great day.

Hardly any smokey in that lot. There are at least 3 larger pieces that are pretty much fracter free.
One has a band of Amethyst at the base and a clear tip,bit hard to get a photo of with my phone.

Hi all, Nice haul KTM.I moved up to Lowmead a few weeks ago :D, been walking the hills and creeks up the back and found a few water worn crystals in the creek.Heres a few picks
1441070790_img_1314_resized.jpg
1441070937_img_1315_resized.jpg
1441070981_img_1316_resized.jpg
1441071012_img_1317_resized.jpg
1441071040_img_1318_resized.jpg
The bigger crystal has multiple terminations on the bottom.

The cyrstals at Lowmead are not restricted to the current dig site - but that is the only place you can dig without seeking permission first.

An older club member told me of finding quite a good amount of amethyst at Lowmead some 35 years ago but at a site further down the road, almost beside the railway station. The railways station has been moved a number of times apparently, and is no longer there.

I've also heard of crystals being found on private properties around the Lowmead-Winfield area.

Your turn was well due Richard:)

I've been going there a few years now and have yet to hit any of these elusive (for me) pockets. :/

Well ok, I have hit a couple of very small ones, but nothing like the ones your brother regularly strikes.

My turn must be coming soon :)

Thanks mate, it has been a long time coming for me.

I think more than anything it's just luck with finding undug ground for us. I found these in a continuation of an old hole.

We will be back in a few weeks time,will have to see if we can catch up out there.Did you get out to Proston yet?

ktmman said:
Thanks mate, it has been a long time coming for me.

I think more than anything it's just luck with finding undug ground for us. I found these in a continuation of an old hole.

We will be back in a few weeks time,will have to see if we can catch up out there.Did you get out to Proston yet?

Not yet mate, I'm heading out to the gemfields in the second week of the school holidays for a dig, maybe my luck will improve :)

Cheers

Latest posts