Some finds from Lowmead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockhound said:
Thanks BundyBen,I see you are after new patches on private property.A couple of years ago my father and myself were caretaking on a 2000 acre cattle property a few km's south of Lowmead.Not being interested in crystals at the time and to busy chasin cattle about I didn't bother having a look around but in hindsight it looks the goods.Lots of alluvial granite country.I think the property changed hands since then but should be no problem gaining access. I will let all know how I go. ;)

There are crystals reported to the south of Lowmead, western side of the road. Have a mate who knows an owner up that way, just trying to find a time that we can meet. I will have no problem sharing info that I gain...providing the owner is ok with that of course.
We dound a small patch (above in the thread) on top of a ridge & heard from an old-timer that he had found crystal in a creek on the western side of the range (west of the diggings) We have walked the 3 highest peaks there and a fair few of the creek beds that fall to the southern side towards Clarks rd. So far, no excitement. I reckon another 20 odd days of walking the hills & creeks withing a 15km radius of the diggings Should show up something we can access.

Hey guys well I made the journey on Sunday to Lowmead for the first time and had a dig and met Rockhound. Didn't do to flash, got a few terminated smokeys that were either cracked or chipped and a double clear quarts crystal but no amethyst. Was virgin ground where I dug but maybe I was just unlucky. Might try again this weekend if I have time.

Gday all. I am in Central Queensland and have found many good locations for gemstones. After cyclone Marcia the rivers and catchments have flushed a great deal of good pickings into areas not commonly known for them. I picked upa good piece of chrysoprase near Marlborough and heaps of agates and ryolite. Breccia is in abundance and coloured quartz too. Occassionally you may even find some diamond - no b.s.

Anyway. I am just a beginner and today I polished up some stones at the local lapidary club. I recommend joining one if you can. It finishes the find, so to speak.

gday DT, can't wait to see a few pics of the polished items,....Here are a few links to other threads that I've posted photos of our Lowmead finds,..I thought I had put them on this thread but when I looked for them I found them elsewhere.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=141051#p141051
post 390+ post 386.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1685&p=43
sorry everyone that I didn't get my pickys up here at the time of my first trip up to Lowmead.

Welcome to the forum DT. I'm thinking of heading back down to Lowmead this weekend, give the new throw sieve a run. Hardly used it at Mount Gibson, everyone decided to dig their own hole so that sort of defeated the purpose.

Well there is a thread in the members only section,... that is where i will put up the intrinsic clues that shall lead ever closer to the treasure,..... soon.
here is the link to that members only thread.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=168624#p168624
;) you will have to scroll back up to the top of the thread(didn't know how to make it appear there straight up). :D
silver said:
I might make it so that only PA members will be able to get the clues by putting them in the members only section once everyone knows that there is a buried treasure up there(somewhere),... that way anyone who is interested will be on an even footing for the starters lineup(so to speak),.. luckily I took a photo of what I've buried, so I will put that photo up when I can. ;)

Might have to dig out the toy metal detector my young bloke had when we went out to Hartz range years ago. He and another boy from the caravan park were convinced they were onto something good, every time they swiped it across the hole they were digging it went crazy. They were digging frantically to China.

He wasn't waiting until the other bloke had removed the metal shovel from the hole before he swiped :lol:

Someone having a dig could end up with it easily,... didn't,t wave the ACE250 over the area at all, so there could be lots of junk in the ground for all I know,.....I do know that it should give a ripper signal(mixed with a steel lid signal directly beneath it) ,even a little cheaply detector should light up on it. When I put the actual clues up on the members only thread it will not even require a detector to find it,..... Just a bit of adventurous nouse. ;)

Finally got uploading photo down pact! These 2 pieces come from lowmead a few trips ago. The only two pieces iv seen like it from the area i work and both where in the same pan. Both on a very obvious white milky quartz matrix

1437526163_20150722_103606-1-1600x1528.jpg

1437526250_2015-07-22_10.44.04-1200x1309.jpg

Interesting specimens there DL.

Yes, I have found crystal faces similar to that at Lowmead, though smokey not milky.

I have also found amethyst scepters and double-terminated crystals.

Also citrine - not the yellowish stuff with the faint greenish tint. A vivid orange colour.

Unfortunately, all the pieces like that have only had the colour in a thin plane. I did manage to cabochon a piece, I think the photo is a few pages back along this thread.

Hi guys new to the forum been studying GEMSTONES and rocks and the art of cut an polish for a young 2years now and started looking for them starting local to bundaberg been to lowmead 6 time got a few good specis. ill upload soon any where else close ?
:)

Welcome DD,... try doing a search on the forum for Gemstones,... something may surface there. :)

Latest posts