Should they leave German Gully alone ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keitzy said:
When was the show recorded.?

This was being pushed in March this year.

https://heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/...MENDATION_INCLUDE_OLD-LEAD-DIGGINGS_FINAL.pdf

Makes no difference when the show was recorded
Fact it the heritage and other overlays were in place when the land was acquired by the current owners, these overlays were clearly stated on the s32 documents prior to the sale.
From your link on the first page under the heading
Existing Heritage Overlay
Central Goldfields Shire, HO34 (Old Lead Dam German Gully Mine Workings)
Loddon Shire, HO19 (Old Lead diggings German Gully)
These are Local Council Heritage overlays affecting the purchased land.

My guess would be digging is over on that site, two local Councils have had the rules tested,
Now there is substantial push back from the State Gov.

It does look like an amazing place, does it get much visitation by tourists etc?
Like, is it a tourist attraction, or just a series of old shafts???

I 'spose my point is, there are other sites of significance, whereby you can see nothing of what once existed, we just have the memory of what occurred at that site??

Is it dangerous, being underground shafts and drives?

If it is mined and the possible residual resources recovered, does that return the land to more usable, therefore profitable land?

Not looking for a shitfight, just chucking it out there.

Yeah, I think its a pretty special place, that clearly shows what a claim size was back in the day.
I would say almost every prospector that has passed through the area over the last 40 odd years has gone for a look at German Gully.
Its not a dangerous place.
For those that remember the old Inkerman diggings, they were pretty spectacular due to the sheer number of shallow holes. Not a sign of them today.

What a summary in the paper by heritage Victoria. I feel at least someone is on my side in this debate.

SUMMARY OF COMPARISONS

The Old Lead Diggings at Dunolly are associated with a specific mining method: deep sinking on an
auriferous lead or gutter to recover gold nuggets from a depth of ten-twenty metres. The place retains
evidence of several thousand mining shafts in close proximity. The Old Lead Diggings at Dunolly and
the Number One Lead precinct at Percydale-Avoca retain similar archaeological features. Each reveals
the nature of alluvial mining and shaft-sinking on a goldfield where only small claims were permitted.
The Old Lead Diggings at Dunolly, however, are much larger than the Number One Lead precinct at
Avoca and are associated with one of the most significant gold rushes in Victorian history. The site of
the Old Lead Diggings, Dunolly is the best known example of its kind in Victoria. \

GT :eek: My sentiment exactly.
The ruination of this piece of History for the gain of two blokes would be scurrilous. .

Ok you keep Ze Germans if I can have a few of the ones in conservation nature reserves and National Parks?

OldGT said:
Ok you keep Ze Germans if I can have a few of the ones in conservation nature reserves and National Parks?

Direct your smart comments to Heritage Victoria. Give em some of your worldly knowledge on why people should be allowed to destroy our heritage.
I missed a call from them yesterday but will be talking to them today. I will mention you will be in touch to give them a bit of curry and be offering inane trade offs.

GT :argh: :awful:

No worries mate. If they wanted to build houses on it would have already happened.

I have just got off the phone to Heritage Victoria and it is seriously watch this space.
In fact they were there today.
It is heritage listed/ over laid and what has happened to date has been illegal.
All work has stopped as heritage Victoria are all over it.
They have had heaps of calls from people such as myself who value our history particularly the most poignant diggings in Victoria as per my last post.
I cant say anymore even though I want to badly, like I said watch this space.

GT :D :Y: :perfect:

Last nights show showed about 20 officials on site and they shut them down.
Also changing the existing permit to mine and putting it in with the larger application.
So yeah, totally shut down atm.

Simmo said:
Last nights show showed about 20 officials on site and they shut them down.
Also changing the existing permit to mine and putting it in with the larger application.
So yeah, totally shut down atm.

I haven't seen that yet Simmo. The bloke I spoke to today was the Prosecutor for Heritage Victoria, what he told me will make your hair curl.
I promised not to say what I have been told until some important pieces come together in the case.
I have said only what he said I could mention, that they are literally all over it.
If anyone wants to know more, call them.

GT :eek:

diggit said:
I wonder what the 'fine' is? Probably minuscule.

In fairness it has a lot more 'heritage' associated with it now since the lads worked the ground.
Bit of green eyed monstering going on to me thinks.
Seems like some who bid on it when up for sale but missed out are now "heritage" warriors.

Throwing the dog a bone :N:

Anyhow Im leaving the thread and getting ready to go for a swing while theres still places to go.

Might go have a gander after the dust settles and go out on the guided tour and viewing platform with the beautiful glossy tour brochure when they are done. :trophy:

Hmmmm I have mixed views on this. I get that it has historic value but so do many other places. It looks like an old battle field with all the shafts and crators all over the place. On one hand it is a part of australian history but on the other hand there is the what is under that ground question. I reckon there is a stonker still in that ground.

shakergt said:
Hmmmm I have mixed views on this. I get that it has historic value but so do many other places. It looks like an old battle field with all the shafts and crators all over the place. On one hand it is a part of australian history but on the other hand there is the what is under that ground question. I reckon there is a stonker still in that ground.

You are spot on mate. I think there are definitely stonkers in the ground. But we will never know now and that's good. That's the beauty of
not knowing, you can sit there , imagine and dream because its still there.

GT :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts