Should they leave German Gully alone ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I may be on my lonesome on this topic and opinion and I will cop some flak from this question;

Would it be a great shame and cultural disaster to mine German Gully as they have Charlies Gully in Dunolly ?

Now I ask this question because personally I think German Gully is of significant cultural and historical significance to the History of gold prospecting 160 years ago
and to the town of Dunolly.
The two fellas that are digging it up look like terrific blokes and have worked hard and are still working hard on the expense and red tape to dig up German Gully where they will find the odd piece of gold the old timers missed. Maybe even a huge nugget.
German Gully is a stark reminder of our history, My belief is that it should be preserved if only the town end to the dam.
Whenever we have visitors from interstate or overseas this is the first place I take them (after the bakery !).
I even brought a TV crew out here a few years ago to do a history story on our gold fields. They were blown away and never knew this [lace even happened let alone the eerie look of this barren reminder to a fantastic part of our History and colonization as a state,

Give them back their permit fees and buy the land back and preserve this for future generations.

Ok attack now.

GT :argh: :eek: :(

If it doesnt happen now it wont ever. Theres god knows how many places to go visit if gold history is your thing.

I say go for it, and I hope they do well.

Just finishing what the old boys started , what a bloody thrill to be on it.

Otherwise its just one more place the every day bloke will never get to.

I have to agree with the above I'm afraid. Good luck to them, as long as they have the necessary permits and safety requirements. I think we have enough "Culturally significant" holes, mounds, rocks, trees, gullies etc. Unless it has any Aboriginal cultural significance it's just another scar on the ground left by the whiteman. Kudos to them for working an old scar and not starting a new one :Y:

Starting a debate like this is opens up a can of worms and a gateway to debate wether or not other historical areas need to be shut down . Leave it be . Let these guys get on with it . Good luck to them . Donolly the town will do a lot better with all the media attention generated from their mining activitys rather than an empty paddock with holes . :Y:

Mods can both threads relating to German Gully be moved to the members section. My opinion is this does not need to be discussed in the public forum. We have an obligation to support and protect Neville and Mick just as we do when it comes to discussion on VEAC and the like which directly impacts us as individuals and as a group with common interests.

Goldtruck59 I'm curious why you just didn't bump your previous thread from July 14 last year :8 you have your opinion which I respect. To be honest I'm disappointed this question is being raised again more so by way of another thread :| if you had the opportunity to have secured that land for the same purpose as Neville and Mick I'm sure you wouldn't be happy to see the legitimacy of your investment being discussed on a forum of people who would be considered as a group who would support your investment.

I dunno about them being 'safe'??!!
20 foot down in an un-shored trench, right next to the pointy end of a 30 ton excavator doesn't look safe to me?
I cringe every time I see them!

Simmo said:
20 foot down in an un-shored trench, right next to the pointy end of a 30 ton excavator doesn't look safe to me?

Yeah, Work Cover might have a fit, but they're privateers so outside that realm, good luck to them, they know the risks be it bucket or brown snakes. They've got a lot as stake, hope it works out for them

I look forward to seeing their progress and hope they unearth the largest nugget in history, at the very least it will be interesting to see what the old timers missed.
Hopefully Mick and Nev do well :Y:

I apologize for that I had forgotten I had written that.
Just shows how passionate I am about I suppose, or how old and silly.
RM and the rest of the forum police, keep your shirts on and Old GT lots of things are my thing especially the fascination German Gully provides for all those that admire
our history and can envisage thousands of old timers and their family's living on the lead.
It will now be another discarded cow paddock when they are finished. and no one will ever know
I wont mention it again next year I promise.

GT :) ;)

Dihusky said:
Simmo said:

Yeah, Work Cover might have a fit, but they're privateers so outside that realm, good luck to them, they know the risks be it bucket or brown snakes. They've got a lot as stake, hope it works out for them

I doubt that mate, if it's a mining lease, then it would be a work place and there would be conditions??
However, its on TV so it must be true and all 'paid for' and above board.
Dunno??!

I have zero worries with those who want to dig up their own land or those who do deals with farmers or land owners. Good on them whatever they get. Even if I personally met them and didn't like them as a person, they still have the right in my opinion to dig it up.
What happened though in Vic, and no doubt did in other states, years back and not too long ago here, was criminal in the state forests and on public land. Public land is public land full stop. Dunolly, Tarnagulla, Moliagul, Amherst, Maryborough and all the others had claims that were X in size but when worked the dogs made them XXXXX in size pushing huge areas beyond the claim boundaries. Glen S..... Was notorious for that as well as numerous others. They didn't care as the fines were miniscule in comparison to the gains. G...... once claimed at the Tarna pub after a dodgy push and fine "well that was a cheap push". Why? Because the fine was less than it would have cost to get up and running an actual claim!
Go to Wannyarra, Secret hill, half of the pushed area would still be original if the claim holder stayed within the claim boundaries. Heck, the same would apply to just about every other area I mentioned! Money talked, eyes looked elsewhere.
I say great and good ridence to bush state forest claims. Yep some did it right but most didnt, fact. Those on private land, their own, farmers with agreements, go for it and good luck to you. Good on em if they find the next Welcome Stranger.

Simmo said:
Dihusky said:
Simmo said:

I doubt that mate, if it's a mining lease, then it would be a work place and there would be conditions??
However, its on TV so it must be true and all 'paid for' and above board.
Dunno??!

Yeah, TV does what the hell they like :mad: Had them for 8 weeks last year filming 'House Rules - High Stakes' ... what a bloody nightmare. :awful: :awful:

goldtruck59 said:
I may be on my lonesome on this topic and opinion and I will cop some flak from this question;

Would it be a great shame and cultural disaster to mine German Gully as they have Charlies Gully in Dunolly ?

Now I ask this question because personally I think German Gully is of significant cultural and historical significance to the History of gold prospecting 160 years ago
and to the town of Dunolly.
The two fellas that are digging it up look like terrific blokes and have worked hard and are still working hard on the expense and red tape to dig up German Gully where they will find the odd piece of gold the old timers missed. Maybe even a huge nugget.
German Gully is a stark reminder of our history, My belief is that it should be preserved if only the town end to the dam.
Whenever we have visitors from interstate or overseas this is the first place I take them (after the bakery !).
I even brought a TV crew out here a few years ago to do a history story on our gold fields. They were blown away and never knew this [lace even happened let alone the eerie look of this barren reminder to a fantastic part of our History and colonization as a state,

Give them back their permit fees and buy the land back and preserve this for future generations.

Ok attack now.

GT :argh: :eek: :(

When that land came up for sale several years ago, the Heritage overlay on German Gully was already in place and clearly stated on the s32 documents. along with other overlays affecting that land.

http://services.land.vic.gov.au/lan...ola-Road-Dunolly-Detailed-Property-Report.pdf

Now when one purchases land, any overlays or caveats adversely affecting that land, would/should affect what one would consider to be a fair and reasonable price for that land.
Several interested parties walked away from bidding on that land, and some may have bid low taking the caveats into consideration.
Now the winning parties want to take the Pi$$, and try and have those caveats removed, well they took the gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts