Should they leave German Gully alone ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
apart from the owners of property about 6 cars drive that road in a week

my apologies Matt...didn't mean to, I was trying to be sesquipedalian :D

goldtruck59 said:
OMG could there be a sensitive and caring person among us that feels deeply about this particular lead, in this particular town that I live near.
I don't think anyone would like to see all these areas gone BUT as said before there are a number of historically significant areas already protected & these particular diggings aren't even the oldest "German Gully" diggings in Victoria, aren't the most historically significant diggings in Victoria etc. & by the same token of your argument "if it wasn't on TV most of the collective chest beating would dissipate" so to would the collective chest beating of those complaining about 2 blokes having a go. TV exposure has no doubt given the legitimately concerned people more platform as it has the green eyed monsters complaining out of jealousy. If it hadn't been on telly one wonders if as many complaints would have been received - I doubt it!

Just because you live locally to there that doesn't substantiate closing them down on "historic" grounds. If it did every bit of dirt that the old timers had a scratch at should be closed off?
I live locally to historically significant areas such as Hill End, Hargraves & Windeyer. My direct family has been documented working these areas since at least 1856 (earliest documented record at Golden Gully Tambaroora, Hill End). Does this give me the right to demand all these areas be shut down? NO
I'm glad though that some public (crown) land areas will be relatively protected but still publicly accessible but don't see it as feasible or correct to "protect" it all.
None of these types of diggings are pristine or left exactly as the old timers walked away from them. Time has taken it's toll already, shafts filled (naturally, purposely, with rubbish etc.), tunnels collapsed, machinery/hand tools gone etc. In short you need a very vivid imagination to picture what may have been. Spoil piles & nondescript holes are all that remains & there are many that also believe these should be or should have been rehabilitated to the natural landform - so who is right there?

Goldtruck youve admitted to maybe having a helping in having there operation closed down,ya gotta expect some flak.
We lived in maryborough for 7-8 yrs and knew nev a bit,he is a encyclopaedia on the central victorian goldfields and its history.
So if there talking 15-20 million in gold from that gully they could actually rehab it back to what it was over 2-3 yrs add some dunnys and a bbq area and hand it over to the heritage or historical mob or whoever they are so the public could safely access the site,it would be a win win for all involved surely? Includind Maryborough.....
1 million ??? plus to rehab and turn it into something usefull for the local economy,instead of just blatantly shutting shop on these blokes?
That would be my solution but sadly it sounds like common sense will fail here,plus the rehab fee would be have to be up front id imagine.....
Hypothetically would you support something like this?

It's open farmland for Christ sake,if they [heritage mob] were really concerned they should restore it back to it's original bush status.
And heritage Victoria should pay for it!
It's gone a bit silly

My place is built on the Old Lead. They bulldozed the mulloch heaps in the 40's.

No such thing as rehabilitation... it's just a cover up.
It would cost twice as much as all the gold recovered to fill the Super Pitt and rehabilitate Kalgoorlie.
Ya dreaming the holes are there forever. There's not even enough water in WA to make a decent lake out of it.

There are hundreds of open cuts across the country, ya floggin a dead horse. :skull:

My 2 bobs worth. If the same laws as we have today regarding shaft sinking, disturbing the land and vegitation, destroying cultural heritage sites (pre goldrush era) were in place back in the 1850/1870 period then there wouldnt be any historical old spoil/soil dumps to get all bound up about.
Todays mining site left in a mess is tomorrows historical feature.
History is made the minute the clock ticks over midnight on any given day as the events of the day are now in the past tense.
IMHO get the owners to leave a small corner of the land in question as is and let them dig the rest. take some before and after photos and do a story board for the unimaginative. Maybe also show the naysayers of mining what a properly carried out rehab program can be like.

Any of the low bidders for this land that missed out on the purchase..........What was your intended use for this land should you have won the bid?

Goldchaser1 said:
Goldtruck youve admitted to maybe having a helping in having there operation closed down,ya gotta expect some flak.
We lived in maryborough for 7-8 yrs and knew nev a bit,he is a encyclopaedia on the central victorian goldfields and its history.
So if there talking 15-20 million in gold from that gully they could actually rehab it back to what it was over 2-3 yrs add some dunnys and a bbq area and hand it over to the heritage or historical mob or whoever they are so the public could safely access the site,it would be a win win for all involved surely? Includind Maryborough.....
1 million ??? plus to rehab and turn it into something usefull for the local economy,instead of just blatantly shutting shop on these blokes?
That would be my solution but sadly it sounds like common sense will fail here,plus the rehab fee would be have to be up front id imagine.....
Hypothetically would you support something like this?

I had nothing to do with anything other than write my feelings at the start of this thread.
The first I knew of any red tape was Friday when I called back the chap I have mentioned who had left me a message in response to an email I had sent re the Old/German Gully lead, the day before.
I then found out what I did and put it on this thread as I thought it news.
It was closed down last November way before L'l ol me made any noises on Friday last week.

Steve your just a meat head trying to be funny. Go out and take your frustrations on a camel or two. They would be closer to your intelligence level.

I would answer other questions but quite frankly I am now reticent to give a stuff. Bulldoze the lot. No interest anymore.
I have taken my thoughts and left the scene.
Lets see if you can all shut up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts