Rocket launches LIVE.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Opposite of a Launch

The Chinese space station Tiangong-1 has now sunk below 150 miles height and atmospheric re-entry/burn-up is fast approaching, but cannot be accurately predicted. The event is most likely to occur during daylight hours today (Monday, 2 April), Australian time and will be a spectacular sight if it happens where anybody is watching.

If you'd like to keep an eye on the situation in case the final burn-up coincides with a pass over your locality, Heaven's Above and Satflare have the best live trackers that I've found:

http://www.heavens-above.com/GroundTrack.aspx

http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=37820#TOP

Example:
1522630712_tc1.jpg

If it lasts that long, the next three passes of Tiangong-1 (at about 90 minute intervals), will be near or overhead from parts of Australia. Once the height is less than 100km, the end will be very fast.

HeadsUp said:
Ramjet said:
We really are in the midst of a new space race. The Russians say they will beat NASA to Mars.

http://www.newsweek.com/russia-will-beat-nasa-mars-and-find-water-moon-says-putin-845988

How are the Russians going to get humans through the van Allen belts without them being microwaved to a medium rare steak ?

Its what prevented America ever getting to the moon.

Maybe Russia will have to borrow the stage set used by yanks to fake the moon landing videos ?
The beauty of Hubble and some of these new scopes and orbiters etc is we can now see decent footage of the lunar rover plus its tracks as well as other left overs from the landings.

I have been following the Tiangong-1 via those apps and web sites. Very interesting.

In other Space news. SpaceX have had their 51st Falcon 9 launch and the 8th launch this year. The latest launch was ten Iridium satellites, using a flight proven (previously flown), first stage. It was not recovered as it was an older model and they are being phased out for the Block 5, final version of the Falcon 9. It did a "soft landing" in the ocean. Even though they do not recover them the data from the soft landing is valuable to add to the knowledge base, which is why they do it.
They also attempted the recover one half of the fairing with the modified ship, Mr Steven. Unfortunately the size and shape of the fairing creates turbulence for the para sail and it's lines got crossed. The fairing hit the water at high speed but was still recovered by Mr Steven.Musk says they will released footage of the fairing coming down and are working on better comms links to provide live coverage. They will do some drop tests from helicopters to try sought the issue out.

These block 5 boosters are supposed to be able to launch at least ten times with little work to refurbish them. They have to re use the boosters as their launch schedule is so full that they cannot build rockets fast enough. Also running out of storage space. :eek:

Next F9 launch is 6.30 am AEDT tomorrow.
SpaceX has also just leased a large ex ship yard in California to set up a factory to build the BFR. They need to be in a port for transport reasons as the BFR will be too big to be transported by road.

Rockelabs, Electron will have it's 3rd launch, "It's Business time" in 5 days.

Mr Steven.....

1522632284_mrsteven.jpg

1522632283_mrsteven_fairing.jpg

madtuna said:
HeadsUp said:
Ramjet said:
We really are in the midst of a new space race. The Russians say they will beat NASA to Mars.

http://www.newsweek.com/russia-will-beat-nasa-mars-and-find-water-moon-says-putin-845988

How are the Russians going to get humans through the van Allen belts without them being microwaved to a medium rare steak ?

Maybe Russia will have to borrow the stage set used by yanks to fake the moon landing videos ?
The beauty of Hubble and some of these new scopes and orbiters etc is we can now see decent footage of the lunar rover plus its tracks as well as other left overs from the landings.

When I was in Hawaii with the 1st wife we drove up Mt. Haleakala altitude 11,000ft the tourist people stated that the Americans actually trained in the crater for moon landing. You could easily see why with the landscape inside the crater being so desolate.

Jaros said:
madtuna said:
HeadsUp said:
Ramjet said:

When I was in Hawaii with the 1st wife we drove up Mt. Haleakala altitude 11,000ft the tourist people stated that the Americans actually trained in the crater for moon landing. You could easily see why with the landscape inside the crater being so desolate.

I wonder if they did much filming during training ?

Before the first lunar mission the US sent Buzz Aldrin to the Antarctic to recover the largest specimens of meteorites they could find (they would most closely resemble the composition of the moon) , this of course being purely for research purposes despite Aldrin being flat out in training , it was felt more important that they recover some meteorites moon rocks before the mission to the moon...

I could never fathom how the film taken of the moon landings shows no crater underneath the rocket motor , no ejected dust on the gold sheet covering the landing legs , and when the capsule launched from the surface of the moon , how is it that a camera on the moons surface is able to pan upwards to follow its path without a cameraman guiding it... O:)

HeadsUp said:
Jaros said:
madtuna said:
HeadsUp said:
Ramjet said:

I wonder if they did much filming during training ?

Before the first lunar mission the US sent Buzz Aldrin to the Antarctic to recover the largest specimens of meteorites they could find (they would most closely resemble the composition of the moon) , this of course being purely for research purposes despite Aldrin being flat out in training , it was felt more important that they recover some meteorites moon rocks before the mission to the moon...

I could never fathom how the film taken of the moon landings shows no crater underneath the rocket motor , no ejected dust on the gold sheet covering the landing legs , and when the capsule launched from the surface of the moon , how is it that a camera on the moons surface is able to pan upwards to follow its path without a cameraman guiding it... O:)

I have been watching many old Nasa/space launch videos on Youtube. Some really interesting facts I didn't know about. You can see shows made at the time about all the different missions leading up to Apollo. Gemini, Ranger, Mercury missions etc etc. All very interesting. Maybe I should make up a playlist.

Please do RJ.
One of the most memorable places Ive ever been to was Cape Canaveral to watch a shuttle launch.
The place itself is amazing and if anyone ever had doubt man actually landed on the moon this place will surely change your mind.

madtuna said:
Please do RJ.
One of the most memorable places Ive ever been to was Cape Canaveral to watch a shuttle launch.
The place itself is amazing and if anyone ever had doubt man actually landed on the moon this place will surely change your mind.

I am SO jealous MT. I never wanted to go to America but I would LOVE to be there for a live launch. Falcon Heavy or the upcoming BFR would be my preference.
I was reading a post earlier asking about private training for Astronauts. Apparently you can do it and even swim in the same pool as used by the Apollo guys. Would be awesome just to be in the same sites.

Another step closer to Mars missions. NASA Rocket Launches Supersonic Mars Parachute in Key Test.

"The Advanced Supersonic Parachute Inflation Research Experiment (ASPIRE) launched atop a sounding rocket Saturday (March 31) from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia at 12:19 p.m. EDT (1619 GMT). The successful launch came after several days of delays due to rough seas at the parachute's recovery zone in the Atlantic Ocean."

https://www.space.com/40137-mars-20...er164fe&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Been over there twice and can highly recommend it.
To see up close and walk around and touch the Apollo rockets is just amazing. The size of the things is mind blowing and no picture on the net does them justice. Same goes for the space shuttles.

I was fortunate enough to strike up a friendship with Story Musgrave, who is also an avid sky diver and spends a fair amount of time in Sydney as he has a studio there.
He was about 70 then and just an amazing man who had me in awe.

madtuna said:
Been over there twice and can highly recommend it.
To see up close and walk around and touch the Apollo rockets is just amazing. The size of the things is mind blowing and no picture on the net does them justice. Same goes for the space shuttles.

I was fortunate enough to strike up a friendship with Story Musgrave, who is also an avid sky diver and spends a fair amount of time in Sydney as he has a studio there.
He was about 70 then and just an amazing man who had me in awe.

Awesome. I did see one of the capsules as a teenager when it did a tour of Australia. Cannot even remember which one it was. I think what I want to experience most is to FEEL the noise, the power....

Latest posts