QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
diggin4gold said:
My bad, I should not have mentioned the sdc.
Remember folks, the sdc is a great detector and the QED is totally different to a minelab detector.
The QED is a game changer in the electronics world.
It's the way it's been developed that sets it apart.

No your not, you could throw all other mid priced PI's in to the mix too, but as of yet the machine has not been marketed so it is impossible to compare any machines with it, The reports I have seen gives me some concern So I would wait until some of our more skilled prospectors have a chance to evaluate it,

There is no way would I compare a machine that I have never seen compared to a market leader, I like the TDI SL but the way it is set up it is between the SDC and a GP/X where it can't see Gold as small as the SDC and it does not go quite as deep as a GP and because of that I try to use my VLF with bigger coils more often, Because I don't dig junk and I get awesome depth.

With the QED I think it is best to keep an open mind because a person wont be disappointed and any thing that it does achieve the owner will be pleasantly surprized.

John.

diggin4gold said:
Remember folks, the sdc is a great detector and the QED is totally different to a minelab detector.

I am glad that someone is putting a new detector out that is designed for Australian conditions but until a few have been using it I am still a bit skeptical with regards to the claims.

I for one would like to know how it is a 'game changer in the electronics world'. I saw the circuits for the original design and there was nothing that was overly new design wise. I know that there has been a change in the front end stage but I cant see how its game changing.

A game changer in that it's made lightweight.
A game changer that it's made others divert their money away from the big players.
Yes, there needs to be more reports to convince us to see that the QED is a good detector to get.

diggin4gold said:
Can you explain how it's a game changer in the electronics world?
As far as I can tell from the manual & other sources is the basic platform is based on Eric Fosters now very old work on PI's (just like the Whites TDI) & the front end is a patent pending of Dave Emery's. It's seems to have been developed by trial & error of old technology through some improvements.
To me it seems like a digitised TDI when looking through the manual. Same type functions with different names but it appears that it may maintain more depth when ground balanced in harsh ground? Great work on that platform but hardly ground breaking. It is also still up for discussion until proven by more than a handful of mates or prototype owners? The EMI immunity doesn't seem as robust as indicated either. In one of the vids recently released you can hear several spikes & the operator acknowledges it's EMI. You also need to attach a ferrite ring to the coil cable to supress EMI. I did giggle at that after the carry on over there about the GPZ ferrite ring for ground balance.
Given the small sized bits & some of the speccis I've found with a SDC it would shock me if it picked up anything the SDC couldn't. Some statements like the QED picked up ironstone speccis the SDC didn't respond to don't add up. Until I had the SDC I never found any ironstone coated gold & it found a fair few. The only other machine I've picked up one with was the GPZ. Not saying that the QED won't get them but I certainly know the SDC does!
Lot's of "what ifs" etc. still to be answered or seen before saying it's set apart from other detectors IMO. :rolleyes:
Also on their air test chart. My GPZ went better on a 5c piece (as do other members here that have done it) so I wouldn't expect to lose 5" on $1 or $2 coins. I don't have an SDC any more but if someone could air test $1 & $2 coin I'd reckon they'd be noticeable at more than 8" in air test?

diggin4gold said:
A game changer in that it's made lightweight.
A game changer that it's made others divert their money away from the big players.
Yes, there needs to be more reports to convince us to see that the QED is a good detector to get.

Logic would query,...what does either have to do with "Gold Finding Ability"???

As to the second point you made, i imagine many of the 'new' owners, had already spent their money with ML, and are now 'testing" a new toy. So to date, ML have hardly lost a cent imo.

Most new & innovative technology has a list of "patents" to protect that IP.

Is there a list you can point me to in a bid to confirm your assumptions?

With Thanks
Gypsy

mbasko said:
I don't have an SDC any more but if someone could air test $1 & $2 coin I'd reckon they'd be noticeable at more than 8" in air test?

I asked the same question from a member here yesterday and they said it was about 12"+/- "NOT" 8" In an air test, But Freshly buried in wet sand and I would bet he could squeeze a bit more out of it if he tried,

hope this helps,

John.

Hope this works but here are those air test results. Please note the Coils being used. And that those targets with a * next to them are 3mm thick and the 10x5cm x1cm at the bottom is a block of alloy.

Image removed due to copyright violations.

diggin4gold said:
all these questions.
No worries / time will be the answer.
Come on the QED.

Lol, people can't wait to get their mits on a new machine no matter who makes it, don't ya just love this hobby.

John.

GypsyGoldAu said:

I am pretty sure Howard (Bugswhiskers) has applied for a patent or two. I did see it listed somewhere. I will have a look later and see if I can find it.

No worries Steel Pat, cheers.

Though, if it is as mbasko recounts, then i would hardly call it "innovative" myself...patents or not. just my opinion.

Gypsy

davent said:
How's it go in hot ground RR?

Better than most VLFs but with the Detech Coils it works a lot better, I used it up at Gympie in the red dirt and it did quite well and I phoned the geology Dept over here to find out where the most mineralized ground was and it was heavily Iron based and it did pretty good.

Of coarse in my previous post I was talking/joking about in Air Tests just like theres.

John.

Thanks for the comparison chart RR, would be good to have a similar test with diff coils on each machine. Sort out the chaff from the BS. Maybe Mods could put this chart in the referance section for ease of finding for others. Could start a new thred " Comparing Chalk and Cheese".

limpalot said:
Thanks for the comparison chart RR, would be good to have a similar test with diff coils on each machine. Sort out the chaff from the BS. Maybe Mods could put this chart in the referance section for ease of finding for others. Could start a new thred " Comparing Chalk and Cheese".

I hope it is helpful, And I only post it and the links because some folks want this machine but now those links have gone and I did not want them to be left wondering what was going on which can lead to worse sinario's

John.

SteelPat said:
GypsyGoldAu said:

I am pretty sure Howard (Bugswhiskers) has applied for a patent or two. I did see it listed somewhere. I will have a look later and see if I can find it.
I can only find one:
http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/ols/auspat/applicationDetails.do?applicationNo=2010101019
2010101019: Improved user interface and interference rejection in a pulse induction metal detector

limpalot said:
That chart is the one containing errors in mine & others opinion. It definitely at a minimum understates both the SDC & GPZ going off my own tests + those of the member Ridge Runner was in contact with re: the SDC. IMO I'm calling BS on it or some of it anyway.

P.s RR Doug will be chasing you for copyright offences shortly :lol: (unless he gave you permission to copy it off his site).

mbasko said:
P.s RR Doug will be chasing you for copyright offences shortly :lol: (unless he gave you permission to copy it off his site).

Well he better get In quick because I think I got a cam belt snapped or a bent valve, Lol.

Ok, I admit it, I stole it, :eek:

John.

Latest posts