QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypsy you make some really good points, but don't forget what also makes it attractive, is the freedom of movement not being tethered to the machine gives you, as for having a 2nd machine, I can't see a negative in that. For less than 2 grand, which includes a $500 coil that you can also use on the gpx, its great value as a back up, or even have the gpx set up with an 18" coil and the QED with a Sadie or small evo, I do extended trips, and having a 2nd machine is a must!
Danny, a lot of people want/ hope that the QED will fail, for a variety of reasons,most personal with some of the people involved and because of loyalty to other brands. Don't get caught up in that kids stuff, do what you feel is right. There are some good people doing good things with the QED, some never post anything about any of their finds, regardless of what brand they use. ;)

davent said:
Gypsy you make some really good points, but don't forget what also makes it attractive, is the freedom of movement not being tethered to the machine gives you, as for having a 2nd machine, I can't see a negative in that. For less than 2 grand, which includes a $500 coil that you can also use on the gpx, its great value as a back up, or even have the gpx set up with an 18" coil and the QED with a Sadie or small evo, I do extended trips, and having a 2nd machine is a must!

True enough points mentioned above davent, and as i noted, some will find it their go-to unit, for some it will be a back-up...re; bold above.... the same can be achieved with the ML units so this is not new. (i used to attach the battery to the side of the control box myself, helps balance big coils too ;) :) )

Sure, the QED is as simple as my old Gold Bug was in external design/ergonomics/weight, but like the ML, unless your using 'wireless' headphones, you are still connected to the machine, so i guess i don't follow that particular point. These days the trend is more & more towards 'wireless' (SDC, Z7..don't follow every companies recent release, do Whites/Garret/etc?) so why not the same treatment for the earlier ML?

In all, i was only trying to point out how i saw the unit, not bashing any pro's/con's, or,..playing the ball, and not the player so to speak.

If it lives up to the claims...it would make a great support machine for just $1200.00 and retro-fit to your gear/coils. Like ALL detectors, this one is not/will not be a one fit for all....hire one, use it, make up your own minds.

My posts are only to share what others here may have missed from the info. posted on other forums, and i am yet to make up my mind one way or the other....but i will be honest, and say atm, i do have reservations, and would have liked to see some features i am familiar with. Perhaps this will come with revisions??

Should that be to my 'gold tally' detriment, so be it, i am comfortable with my results to efforts with what i have. After all...you don't miss what you never had :D .

We each follow our own desire....and i have no specific agenda to advocate. I use ML now because my old vlf didn't work where i walk. However, i am not tied to the name on the box....it could read "Bloody Useless Box" written on it for all i care (not dismissing the work of those who build them), if it performs to 'my' expectation/anticipations...then i will use it.

There are a load of issues i 'could' cover about the situation, yet i also understand it will resolve little, and create more angst, so best left alone.

I wish you well and good results when you get the chance to run yours davent, and will follow your shared experiences (pics of gold or not :D ) you feel prompted to share. ;)

Cheers
Gypsy

Gypsy, the moment this forum starts to soundvlike the others regarding the QED, I'll consider stopping. But, yes too many are playing the man, not the ball.
Yep I can make my gpx wireless, at cost. Let's say I could spend $200 on headphones, and $500 on a after market battery.
So the 4500 would then be be $4000 plus dollars, add nugget finder evo, $4500.
The QED sits at less than half that with the same headphones. It does find gold, although its not published en mass yet. I know one found 14 very small bits for 2 grams recently, in one session,.
Reckon its great value for money myself.
As I have said before, the QED is going to compliment my 4500, not replace it.

Have heard the maker is changing to a more efficient way of producing the QED, so the build time is reduced, but quality maintained, this can only be good news!
The order list is getting bigger every day.
I hope I don't, have a huge wait, but hey, its still the wet season.

davent said:
Yep I can make my gpx wireless, at cost. Let's say I could spend $200 on headphones, and $500 on a after market battery.
So the 4500 would then be be $4000 plus dollars, add nugget finder evo, $4500.

Well dave, that is true....to go wireless (accessory) you have to spend $$. Didn't you also post you bought some 'wireless' phones and a ext. spk for the QED?? Did yours cost you $200?, and why would i need an after market battery??? (OEM are less than that, and any a/m unit would want to be at LEAST 1/2 that price to interest me.

So it's not as if 'OEM" that the QED is any further in front in that regard, imo. However,....i wasn't talking 'price cost comparisons',..i was only trying to relate the 'features', as it is up to the individual to build in their own cost/benefit value, not mine.

The QED sits at less than half that with the same headphones. It does find gold, although its not published en mass yet. I know one found 14 very small bits for 2 grams recently, in one session,.
Reckon its great value for money myself.

Don't get me wrong, and again, it is a metal detector after all, so yes i would EXPECT it to find gold also, particularly based on the lag time to get to market. I agree, based on results to date, the unit is cost effective, and has some very good features, so yes, it is value for money imo also.

As I have said before, the QED is going to compliment my 4500, not replace it.

Never say never eh davent?...my cupboard may also end up with one if i get the itch for another unit. Meanwhile my 4K will suffice for the sort of walking i do, and i'm hopeful those who get a QED also have no regrets.

Like i said earlier, I don't miss what i never had....(i just walk more till i find more... ;) )..

All good,...i'll let others contribute as they become familiar and post their experiences....i think we have an audience here now to fill the gaps. :D :D :D :cool:

Gypsy

Gypsy, I was talking about the EQ spirit battery, seems to be a great piece of gear. What is the OEM option? Don't know that one, I need to get one! Does it have an amp, and quick re charge? I got one of Woody's can corded batteries, but I don't have a booster, so I rarely use it.
Don't have a wireless set of head phones yet, but am looking at options, jack from jaycar, head phones from office works, the $200 I was referring to was detecnix set up.....200ish, also the tdkwr700,s if you can find a set are around that on e bay.

OK, just googled the OEM battery, do you mean the half size one? I nearly bought one, but for only 3hours run time, I was looking for a better option, the EQ Spirit looks perfect, but by the time I spend $500 on one of them, $200 on wireless head phones and $500 on 12" nf evo, I might as well spend $2 grand on a new toy! Good excuse to buy a new detector I reckon! :cool:

The ML Pro-Sonic might be a good option, always believed in headphones but since the Z I`ve found the speaker the go, doubt whether I`ll go back to headphones.

Considered that option norvic, cause I could use it on both the gpx and QED, but I think I can ,or will have to go a cheaper route, but it would defiantly be a good option.

Advent, did you consider Nenads (phase tech), detech wireless system, use any headphones and save $$. It works perfect for me on the GPX and the 2300. Is the plug compatible on the QED?

What sort of battery time do you get? One of the headphones I'm considering say they have 16-20 hours of use between charging. I have looked closely at the detecnix.

The receiver and the transmitter both give about 8 hours, I haven't run them dry. The little receiver can sit in your pocket, I Velcro the tranny on the side of each detector box cover, I use phase tech's Gog headphones and Lanier buds in the hot weather.

Leroy said:
Advent, did you consider Nenads (phase tech), detech wireless system, use any headphones and save $$. It works perfect for me on the GPX and the 2300. Is the plug compatible on the QED?

I have read these are limited when approaching power lines....(Finders)...ie; they pick up the emi well before the detectors do...

davent...sorry, when i was talking OEM batteries, i meant i use the bog stock standard battery for the 4K, not the QED (sorry for the confusion)...so i save $500.00 :D Good for me.

Mind you...when it dies, i'll then just pop in a replacement 'pack' for about $60-120 depending on quality of cells used.

Still better than $500.00 imo. ;)

Gypsy

Yeah gypsy, I tend to do extended trips, and a 2nd battery is handy. I have ordered a cheap speaker off e bay for the QED, but will also get a set of wireless phones....something else to charge, lol!

Wireless phones .. will pick up interference as they are a wireless device and operate in the RF band .. power lines are quite broad in their range of interference or EMI ..especially on humid or rainy days when the insulators are dirty :) .. if you want less interference from a booster type unit couple a speaker amp directly to the unit with short a lead as possible .. as the input lead acts as an antenna but this again will depend on the input lead if it is shielded or not .. .. also depends how close u are to the power lines...

Think we will need to go for a swing Geoff, do some tests eh? Hopefully, I should have one in my hands in about 2 weeks,depending on oz post.

Latest posts