QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've spent a fair bit of time, 4 blokes, 3 with Z,s me with a Gpx 4500, and I get smashed, rediculously, By those 3 z,s every time, reason being, they can handle the ground better tan me in HY diff. I'm using a 14*9 evo most of the time, sometimes a 15 evo.

I'm getting a QED, and I hope it can handle the ground and emi a little better then the gpx, if it does, then I think the gap may close a fair bit.
Don't get me wrong, there are areas I reckon the 4500 is still the go to for me, but the QED will have its place as well.

mbasko said:
Ridge Runner said:
Regardless of what brand releases a new machine somehow it always comes round to comparing them to ML machines, When comparing them to ML PI's that never ends well and many a newcomer has had to eat humble pie, But within the VLF market ML has more to worry about, So there is a bit more room to move there,

No two users set their machines up the same, when testing a machine I try to set it at its peak performance and anything else I get from it is a bonus,

John.
When Minelab release a new machine it gets compared to other Minelabs & bitched about. Why would a different brand be any different :lol:

Lol, yeah it's always been that way since the SD series came, That's handy if folks wanna know if they should up grade or not, must be tough on ML having to do battle with their own machines. Lol.

davent said:
I'm getting a QED, and I hope it can handle the ground and emi a little better then the gpx, if it does, then I think the gap may close a fair bit.
Don't get me wrong, there are areas I reckon the 4500 is still the go to for me, but the QED will have its place as well.

EMI is the only reason that I have hung on to the SL, Nothing can match the way it handles EMI, But I think the GPX is the go.

You think the gpx is the go regarding handling EMI??
Mate, I reckon even air brakes from semintrailers effect my 4500.

davent said:
You think the gpx is the go regarding handling EMI??
Mate, I reckon even air brakes from semintrailers effect my 4500.

No Dave that is not what I said, I said the SL for EMI and I meant the GPX if things are normal.

Oh, OK.
My "normal" conditions are noisy ground,emi, small gold.....but for the guys who can tame noise (GPZ,s and SDC2300,s) plenty of regular small gold, and some nice bits as well for the Z users, including some impressive specciies that I don't,t see.

Agreed Mbasko,

Even the zed was talked down and called a dog, many sold theirs after being dissalusioned, qed is no different it is just happens to be from different brand that has no loyalty.

The QED was designed to have minimal EMI from ac power sources .. its in the timing as Bugs designed it .. . am not referring to lighting and other sources ..
you can run this in your house and you will have minimal effect from household power.

gef12 said:
The QED was designed to have minimal EMI from ac power sources .. its in the timing as Bugs designed it .. . am not referring to lighting and other sources ..
you can run this in your house and you will have minimal effect from household power.

Just to find out if the SL worked in storms and EMI I took it in the middle of the City with a Thunder storm directly over head and it was rock solid with the Gain set to the Max.

should bring it up to the NT ... where the real storms are .. :) dont think any machine survives electrical storms ...
As I explained it on another forum .. the front end of these machines there is a ultra low noise front end amp which amplifies the tiny nano volt voltages of the tiniest of nuggies ... a good zap from lightening would in effect overload the front end so to speak .. lightening is a non discriminate wide band EMI beasty ... and u cant filter it ..you could work with gain at a minimum but then u loose sensitivity ...
IMHO

Well The SL has a Tune Pot that you can Totally wipe out overhead lightening and EMI from Traffic signals, Burglar Alarms, Power lines and microwave Towers,

I know it works in thunder storms because I have used it in them, Not the brightest Idea but I wanted to know if it would work when storms were over head, and Not just far off storms, My SL has not had the Aussie Mods done to it so it is not hyper sensitive, Where the Aussie ones will see nuggets weighing 0.03+/- mine is flat out at about 0.12 to 0.17 using the standard 12" Duel Field Mono Coil.

The mods are great from a gold getting point of view but it is possible that they might effect how the filters work in shielding from EMI.

gef12 said:
There was a bloke on here that helped develop the "hiccup" mod for Whites SPP with Reg Sniff. He used to bench test his TDI OZ PRO in his kitchen under a fluoro light which I gave him some ribbing about :D
Point is for these platform machines running them in your house isn't new. But why would you anyway?

mbasko said:
gef12 said:
There was a bloke on here that helped develop the "hiccup" mod for Whites SPP with Reg Sniff. He used to bench test his TDI OZ PRO in his kitchen under a fluoro light which I gave him some ribbing about :D
Point is for these platform machines running them in your house isn't new. But why would you anyway?

Was going to say the same thing. There arent any gold nuggets in my house. But then using a certain combination of settings I could get my 7000 to run in the workshop (even with all the electronics I have running) and it would air test nuggets. It certainly wasnt running at maximum sensitivity though and was slightly noisy.

Regardless of what front end the QED has, that part of the circuit WILL pick up EMI. All low noise pre-amps suffer to some extent. If the timing is set to counter the 50Hz then it may be quiet if nothing else is on. But EMI comes in a multitude of frequencies. As you mentioned lightning is virtually impossible to counter.

Filtering can remove most but there will always be something there. To get any highly gain/low noise machine to run quiet means reducing the gain/sensitivity slightly.

I think you are missing the point, its not about turning it on in the house, but if you did, it can handle the EMI, its just a point to demonstrate its ability to cope with the noise.
When I first got my MXT and TDI, I played with them in my back yard, the MXT was easy, the TDI needed some mucking around with, but was usable after I sorted out the warble.
The GPX is a total no, cant be done, so I had to drive 60 km away to turn it on and play with the functions, to learn how to use it. Just a familiarisation.
As for filtering lightening with the TDI Pro Oz, I have dealt with some, but in the wet season, with a proper storm, there are thousands and thousand of strikes, a few every second, and no machine can cope with that.

Gotta agree with Davent, for us that live in the tropics we know by mid afternoon and often earlier that time of year, tis time to put detector away, just beyond handling. But that is not the problem with the QED, tis getting one as things have gone kinda pearshape. Without a reputable dealer handling it has little chance of surviving I would think. I certainly am going to be just a wee hesitant to put down my money if that is what transpires and I`m keen as.

I remember many years back posting good money to purchase a dredge pump (back when they were legal) off a well recommended long term manufacturer only to find he`d quit and skipped with my and others dough, spent more chasing that money but all down the drain. Talking about days of cheque long before the security??? of Paypal.

mbasko said:
gef12 said:

my boss has always "Your missing my point"
many gold areas around townships with power ..

I'm not missing the point at all (& why "as always"!!). You said about running it in the house then the talk went onto spherics which is completely different & we all know it cause problems - not just in Northern Australia!!!! My point is other detectors can run with/around household power sources & LV power lines. It's not new.

I've used a couple of so called unusable detectors under power lines too. Go figure - they didn't have Dave Emery's front end??

If you need to drive 60km out of town with the GPX4500 Dave I'd send it in - I think it may be in need of service to be honest. If you want to play around with it or familiarise try cancel.

Edit: remove naughty wording

I knew you were going to say that.Or someone was going to say that.
When I got my GPX I just wanted to turn it on and run it over my cig lighter, or walk around and play with gain and stab, maybe check out a few settings.
At that point in time, when I bought it, I had no idea what cancel was, which is why I drove 60km, away with no emi, no distractions, I could sit down, and read my manual and muck around with the settings.
In the back yard.....no.

And have you ever been to darwin?
Try sitting in park around here.....beer cans, wine cask bladders, the smell of urine and dog crap. Or the clean parks.....walking around with a metal detector will attract attention.....what are looking for mister, or are you allowed to fossick in this park mate? easier to drive 60km.

So again.....you are missing the point (just a dig Mbasko!,lol)

Ok, so now im gunna ask you, what is Sperics. apart from prospectors telling me, the noise im getting is spheric,s I dont really understand.

Latest posts