QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GypsyGoldAu said:
No worries Steel Pat, cheers.

Though, if it is as mbasko recounts, then i would hardly call it "innovative" myself...patents or not. just my opinion.

Gypsy

QED manual said:
Technical Specifications
A single channel Pulse Induction metal detector using a differential integrator as the null summation / averaging means to null the ground and static magnetic fields. The method is based on the published papers or lapsed patents of the early pioneers Eric Foster, Chapman and Howells and more recently the lapsed patent of Dr. George Paltoglou and Australian Innovation Patent AU2010101019. The front end blocking circuitry is US patent pending by Dave Emery and is used under license.
Average current consumption 450mA, voltage limits 6v to 10v max.
Audio PWM VCO & VCA.
Digitisation method Bipolar Integrating (200uS) ADC Display, 3 digit LED Backlit Transflective LCD

Ok folks sorry about that, I jumped the Gun and posted Dougs Chart, Of which I should of asked, I since ask Doug for permission and I have apologized and he has Kindly said that I can post it,

Thanks Doug.

John.

Please Note that those targets with a * next to them are 3mm thick and the 10x5cm x1cm at the bottom is a block of alloy.

1486385427_test_results.jpg

Ridge Runner said:
Ok folks sorry about that, I jumped the Gun and posted Dougs Chart, Of which I should of asked, I since ask Doug for permission and I have apologized and he has Kindly said that I can post it,

Thanks Doug.

John.

Please Note that those targets with a * next to them are 3mm thick and the 10x5cm x1cm at the bottom is a block of alloy.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3775/1486385427_test_results.jpg

Sorry but that chart is a bit of rubbish. Whoever is using the 7000 obviously has no idea how to use it properly especially when the results are so different to the 5000. I know my own results using a 7000 compared to other machines that the 7000 is better on most targets (I wont say all because I did get very similar results on some targets).
Unfortunately some on that forum are very anti Minelab. There can be no independent testing there.

SteelPat said:
Ridge Runner said:

Thanks Doug.

John.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3775/1486385427_test_results.jpg

Sorry but that chart is a bit of rubbish. Whoever is using the 7000 obviously has no idea how to use it properly especially when the results are so different to the 5000. I know my own results using a 7000 compared to other machines that the 7000 is better on most targets (I wont say all because I did get very similar results on some targets).
Unfortunately some on that forum are very anti Minelab. There can be no independent testing there.

I don't know who those people are but I am sure different people will get varied results'

Air tests on PI machines display the opposite of what happens with a VLF which is why Air Tests are impractical for both types of detectors.

mbasko said:
limpalot said:
Thanks for the comparison chart RR, would be good to have a similar test with diff coils on each machine. Sort out the chaff from the BS. Maybe Mods could put this chart in the referance section for ease of finding for others. Could start a new thred " Comparing Chalk and Cheese".
That chart is the one containing errors in mine & others opinion. It definitely at a minimum understates both the SDC & GPZ going off my own tests + those of the member Ridge Runner was in contact with re: the SDC. IMO I'm calling BS on it or some of it anyway.

P.s RR Doug will be chasing you for copyright offences shortly :lol: (unless he gave you permission to copy it off his site).

Why the hell you would do that chart with the ZED in HY DIFF is beyond me, unless of course you want to understate the ZED's capabilities dramatically, because you have an agenda to make the QED look better. :rolleyes:

Also, why would you leave the GPX in fine gold on those bigger targets ? Redundant question ! See above ! :rolleyes:

The ZED should have been in Normal ground mode for all tests, and general or very deep on the bigger targets to get the best readings !

Rick

Well Araratgold.... i imagine one could be described as "comparative" testing, whilst your methodology is more 'definitive' testing....imo. ;)

It could just be a matter of 'semantics' being utilized....(Sorta like most product promotions and supportive materials.. :p )

Bear in mind..."comparative" does not also automatically mean "testing the same features side by side"...you can compare for eg; the strong/weak, or good/bad...etc. Semantics at play...

May not be close to the point, i imagine you'd have to ask the tester's why they chose those settings...:dunno:

Gypsy

85% of the statistics online are made up to suit peoples agenda.

99% of people know that!

I guess,...if you 'hobble' the ML, and run the QED flat out to beat it...that would satisfy "as good as"...???

:dunno:

It really bugs me that stuff like that chart gets put out which is obviously biased (or put together by someone who is totally incompetent). The QED MAY be a good detector but stuff like this really colours my judgement.

We know Minelab tends to fudge the depth charts a little but (besides not publishing comparisons vs other brands) they have a proven track record.

People who have bought the machine, those that have a dislike for Minelab or friends of the manufacturer will already have a slight bias as they WANT it to perform well. They are not independent enough to have reliable results. Lets face it, if you have forked out a cpl of grand you are not going to admit to buying something that doesnt perform, especially if you have been talking it up.

What the QED mob need to do is get an independent tester (or an independent witness) to go to the test bed in the GT, test the machine and publish the results alone. Then others can test their own machines and compare results for themselves.

Anyway I do hope the QED performs as there certainly is a need for another mid priced detector.

Steelpat & all , Time will tell all. but the PPL in the tests appear to be independent. I cannot believe that the PPL in this test were "bought", how much $$$ do you think a startup has? these PPL brought their own detector and would obviously not allow others to tell them how to run them except some settings to make them run smoothly on that bit of ground. but if Others want to believe that all of these people are in "bought" that is their prerogative.

Araratgold - I would imagine the settings stated were used because A. most users in the G.T run those settings B. the ground would not allow detector to be managable with other settings. Also i don't know about you but if all the machines are using 12inch coil i would assume that settings should be suited towards small-mid size gold , but either way you would want to use settings that maximise your range of targets.. these settings seem to follow this...

It would be good to know what gain/more specific settings were used. Unfortunately we cannot judge the competency of the gpz user.

I own a GPZ, a QED and F1a4 and i'm just going to test them out with inground targets, starting this weekend. i suggest others do the same what may be a winner for some is not a winner for others.

Eski said:
Steelpat & all , Time will tell all. but the PPL in the tests appear to be independent. I cannot believe that the PPL in this test were "bought", how much $$$ do you think a startup has? these PPL brought their own detector and would obviously not allow others to tell them how to run them except some settings to make them run smoothly on that bit of ground. but if Others want to believe that all of these people are in "bought" that is their prerogative.

Never said they were bought. Most of the reports seem to come from those that are not fans of Minelab or have an axe to grind. For some reason there seems to be a bit of the tall poppy syndrome happening within some of the prospecting community.

As for the GPZ settings - those are not the settings I used to run in the GT. They are comparing average Zed settings with the QED being used by the developer. Pretty sure he would be using the best settings possible not just settings 'most users would use'.

As I said I hope the detector works well but I would like a bit of honesty when it comes to the results.

Regardless of what brand releases a new machine somehow it always comes round to comparing them to ML machines, When comparing them to ML PI's that never ends well and many a newcomer has had to eat humble pie, But within the VLF market ML has more to worry about, So there is a bit more room to move there,

No two users set their machines up the same, when testing a machine I try to set it at its peak performance and anything else I get from it is a bonus,

John.

Hey Steelpat, Agree you never said they were bought - just an expression... I know one of the testers in there and he would not have backed off and he certainly does not have an axe to grind. but i can't vouch for all of them. Then again they all had minelab machines so i don't see how they have an axe to grind.
I like my zed... i would not have backed off , i would have wanted to smash the other machines. but that is me...

I won't make any assumption, but i will rely on my own tests.

I agree with you about honesty.

Ridge Runner said:
Regardless of what brand releases a new machine somehow it always comes round to comparing them to ML machines, When comparing them to ML PI's that never ends well and many a newcomer has had to eat humble pie, But within the VLF market ML has more to worry about, So there is a bit more room to move there,

No two users set their machines up the same, when testing a machine I try to set it at its peak performance and anything else I get from it is a bonus,

John.
When Minelab release a new machine it gets compared to other Minelabs & bitched about. Why would a different brand be any different :lol:

Latest posts