Puzzled by this.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I found this item last week and I am hoping someone will be able to identify it for me. It is about 2 mm thick and weighs in at about 21 Grains, 13.5 pennyweight.
Other than what is marked on the front there are no other markings.

IMG_2295_zps447ac1fd.jpg

IMG_2296_zpsd4d3901f.jpg

Regards Axtyr

Peugeot was famious for their push bikes.Maybe old time prospector as transport was rare back then. Hope you find answer
Regards phanton

It certainly looks like a hallmark for silver. There are several that are close to it but slightly different. I tried cleaning it with Silvo but that didn't work too well. I'll keep trying to clean it. I really wanted to identify the metal. I also have a couple of pieces of metal that look like lead but are much harder. I could not scratch them like the old bullets but can squash them a bit with the pliers. Will do some testing on them with acid to see if I can identify them.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards Axtyr.

Hi all.

Well I dumped the ingot into some hydrochloric acid and then cleaned it up with steel wool. Unless gold corrodes, which it doesn't, then this ingot is really brass.

Very surprised at that.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Regards Axtyr.

Latest posts