Prospectors Ages

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
35, got my 1st detector last december. but had a knee reco aweek after getting it. i love most history & interested in my local South east Qld history. i also love my outdoors, shooting & hunting & V8's. i have a big block vf valiant so i'm broke all the time. one thing the metal detector has done has brought me & my brother a bit closer which is cool. just wish he'd get his own lol.

We are 54 and 58 and our fur baby Bella is nine (black mini schnauzer).
Just waiting for our caravan to arrive and then we are off, heading to the golden triangle to try our luck. New to prospecting so looking forward to lots of fun and meeting lots of interesting people and of course that big nugget that is out there with my name on it, ha ha.
Donna :)

Hi all, a couple of months shy of 65 and a few more before I retire, glad to see at least 1 member admits to being older, thanks Pr2cv you're a star.
Cheers to all you young buggers out there,
Tom

Hi,

I'm 52 and bought my first detector 2 months ago. I used to pan a bit in my teens with a mate and on my own when I lived in Tassie.
Doing this now to get out of the house on my days off. Getting a bit frustrated cleaning up Australia :rolleyes: . Never thought so many people just open a beer or soft drink and turf the lids or riptops.
Still I am enjoying just getting out and about.

CW

Teemore said:
Hi all, a couple of months shy of 65 and a few more before I retire, glad to see at least 1 member admits to being older, thanks Pr2cv you're a star.
Cheers to all you young buggers out there,
Tom

Funny Teemore. I considered myself an oldy on the forum.
Thanks for making me feel less ancient ;)

When I joined the Ulysses motorbike club at 40 I was never more happy to be a junior :)
From 40 to 49 you are a junior member. Full member when ya turn 50 :)

Body 56, mind 26 one isn't quite keeping up with the other. Love anything to do with the bush. Chasing pigs, fishing, camping, detecting or just being there. Love playing baseball but my shoulder has succumbed and need a recon on it, it makes detecting a bit painful. So many targets, so little time. :)

48yrs with mechanics back & knees here. I've been prospecting or detecting for coins etc since i was a teenager. We didnt live near any gold fields when I was a kid so had to be content with the odd trip away on school holidays or detecting around old house sites with a whites 5000d.
Moved closer to the N,East Vic goldfields when I got my first job. gold recovery picked up from there on in. Although its getting harder to come by lately. I just need to think outside the square a bit more.
Jethro.

48 with a still working liver :p

Been at it for around 3yrs, dont have much gold to show for it, but for me it's about getting out of the city and back to the bush, gold is just a bonus.

41, and fit as a fiddle (or so I'd like to think I am - reality check!).

Been in the gold exploration and minerals industry all my life pretty much, used to detect in my 20's but didn't really understand what I was doing to make it worthwhile. Ended up selling the xt17000 back then for $900, but continued to collect rocks and minerals throughout the Adelaide Hills. Now the bug is back, and I have more patience and understanding to go with it, plus the added advantages of exercise and discovery along the way! :)

Turned 40 last B'day - still feel/act like a 20 yr old but the body says different... :/

Most of my hobbies blend into or complement each other - 4x4, camping, trail bike riding, fishing, exploring, local history.

I'm 50 but sometimes feel like 600. I thought I was reasonably fit after spending 4 hours at the gym each day only to be told I needed a quadruple bypass 4 years ago. It took the wind out of my sails completely and I'm only now getting back to normal.

I've decided to get into a hobby that's rewarding, fun and a chance to get out and about. Most of all to join a group of sincere people who love the outdoors, know what they're doing and enjoy life.

I don't know the first thing about prospecting except what I've learned here on the forum and from some of you. I am embracing this new hobby of mine and I hope to eventually meet all of you and enjoy doing field trips, weekends etc with you as often as possible. It's hard not having others interested in this hobby, so from time to time I would love to catch up and join you out in the field, specially GG, Tuena and Hill End etc. Not forgetting Nundle every now and then.

I'm 40, occasionally feel 50 though usually act about 30. Always been interested in fossicking and am now doing something about it.

52 in January, Seen my first nuggets and alluvial gold when I was about 10 yrs old shown to me by a prospector mum and dad use to get his tucker for him, saved him a 30 mile+ ride each way to town on his pushie so I guess this is were it all started for me.
From my late 20's to the late 30's I had alcohol-related problems. I've been alcohol and smoke free for 15yrs. Since then I bought a house and a few years ago got back into metal detecting which led me back to prospecting for gold and other minerals.
Haven't found my version of the " hand of faith" yet or any nuggets with the detector (every day spent detecting is a day closer to finding it), all gold found (barely an ounce) has been alluvial which was found with pan and sluice and a lot of blood sweat and tears and I've enjoyed every minute of it.
:) Mick

Inspiring story axeman, congrats on 15yrs sober.

What date is your Bday? mines on the 11th.

Latest posts