Part of a dinosaur leg and ...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went for my first detect in a while. We went to a couple of paddocks that are now nearing the end of their detectable lives. I found a few things but not as many as previous trips as we are now filling in the gaps in the particular paddocks. Still, there were some interesting finds.

I had been debating about whether to get a Nox to complement the CTX but ended up buying a Deus and used it the whole time. I hope/expect the Deus will eventually replace the CTX and obviate the need to also have a Nox. I mainly used the Basic program but in the afternoon I also used the Deep program to give some confirmation to the tones in the Basic program. Too early to play the guessing game I used to do with the CTX where you'd guess the target before digging. So far so good but too early to say more than the CTX would also have found these items. A few of the buttons were a bit more distinct in sound.

Anyway, onto the finds, again. The 1d is 1854. I dated the better looking of the Chinese coins (normally I don't do this - takes a long time) it is of the Emperor Sheng Tsu 1662-1722. The button thingy is not a button but could have been decoration on clothing or furniture. I think the stone is onyx. Text on the back simply says "F (or E) Moore & Co Patent". The amusing find is the dinosaur leg clutching an egg. I almost threw it out into my lead collection but decided to give it a bit of a clean and found the scales. On closer examination there is still some gilt on it and a bit of white enamel. I would love to have seen it in its entirety. The buckle is of the 2nd opium wars. It is in great definition but bent.

1529399725_p1060607.jpg

1529399726_p1060608.jpg

1529399727_p1060609.jpg

1529399728_p1060610.jpg

1529399728_p1060611.jpg

Very nice work. I haven't found any chinese relics yet but I would love to! gotta love anything that was already old when it was bought to Oz in the 1800's.

silver said:

Thanks - yeah should have thought dragon. Most finds have been Chinese coins.

caparobertsan said:
amazing relics!!!!! :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:
Interesting you mention the second opium war. Losing that was the reason the Chinese diggers ended up in Australia (previously all trade was through one port, Britain forced China to open many ports so the original one suffered unemployment and economic decline). So local businessmen sent diggers on contract to find gold for them....

goldierocks said:
caparobertsan said:
Interesting you mention the second opium war. Losing that was the reason the Chinese diggers ended up in Australia (previously all trade was through one port, Britain forced China to open many ports so the original one suffered unemployment and economic decline). So local businessmen sent diggers on contract to find gold for them....

I didn't realise that. Most of the Chinese "diggers" in Australia came from the one area in China. Your comment explains why to some degree. Ta

Detectist said:
goldierocks said:
caparobertsan said:

I didn't realise that. Most of the Chinese "diggers" in Australia came from the one area in China. Your comment explains why to some degree. Ta
Yes, there are a lot of misconceptions about them being illiterate peasants. They came with mining knowledge (eg whims), armed with published English phrase books that I have read, published by their contractors and with all necessary questions ("which way too Bendigo" "I love you"). They were given a raw deal by the Anglos, and were very efficient miners, who would often successfully re-work ground already mined out by Europeans and make money from it. They discovered some goldfields - like the rich Canton Lead at Ararat (until kicked out) - and some invested in quartz mining (eg the major North Woah Hawp mine in Ballarat). It is also the reason they came without women (although the Anglos were a bit short on them too) and why more than 90% returned to China. Some stayed, were even on goldfield councils, and some records show that Anglo women often preferred them (and Afghans) as partners because they treated them with more respect than did Anglos. Although there wern riots against them, attitudes were mixed, and after the Americans drove them into the hills of the Buckland Valley goldfield on the 1st July, the Irish beat up the Americans the next day. They also went to California (almost the same time - 1849 rush).

It is worth visiting the Chinese museum in a lane off Little Bourke St in Melbourne - you can see the phrase books there. There are other Chinese museums (Gum, at Ararat at the entrance to a Canton lead adit I think), and in Bendigo where there is the annual Dragon festival- there is a Chinese temple at Sovereign Hill, Ballarat, still in use.

Latest posts