Online, Email Scams, Fake callers/Phone scams and other scam information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never give to 'tin collectors' and a few 'others'... if you read the fine print, up to 75% of your donation goes to Administration.... A good example is the Earthquake in Indonesia, most of your donations ended up topping up certain worldwide charities bank accounts.... and only a fraction was actually spent in Indonesia...

LW....

limpalot said:
Got a message yesterday, said they were the tax office; threat of impending legle action. Ring this No now 0280035444. Checked and it is a scam.

I got the same one the very next day after lodging my tax return very suspect. I rang the number anyway and as soon as the scammer picked up I gave it to him, both barrels. Then reported it to the ATO who I suspect have someone from the scammers working there or at the very leadt have compromised their I.T. systems. As I mentioned they tried scamming me the day after I lodged my tax return. I dont believe its just a coincidence.

limpalot said:
Got a message yesterday, said they were the tax office; threat of impending legle action. Ring this No now 0280035444. Checked and it is a scam.

HAHA so i worked at the ATO at one point in Canberra.

I got this phone call, he confirmed he was in canberra and in the ATO building.

I said, oh cool, i work at the ATO, let me come up to your desk. :)

He got offensive and told me i couldn't get into his section, i informed him i had access to all areas, he hung up :) lol

:perfect:

whitestonestar said:
Some fools got fooled by those Indian. LMAO. :D

Those Indian told those fools that "You have to pay a fine, or the police will go to your house and arrest you."

I do NOT feel sorry for those fools who got fooled.

You know there is something in that. People who believe everything and anything that they hear, without question, from an alleged 'authority' figure such as a pollie, holyman, taxman or news channel are really holding back the human race with their stupidity.

I do feel sorry for them though but really there is no excuse for falling for such an obvious scam.

Assume that EVERYONE is out to scam you from the legit/fake ATO, the council, the bank, charities, gumtree, Ebay, etc etc and you're much less likely to pay for something that you're not meant to.

Never give out personal info to anyone unless you're 100% certain they require it by law and that you're happy they are the real McCoy.

If you keep signing up with retail stores for points etc well then you're just asking to be robbed of your identity. Is a free toaster every two years worth the risk?

Use your head and you'll be alright, be a mug and you'll be mugged. Nothing more certain than that.

Got a message from Aupost not Auspost.
Saying I was 1 of 5 winniners selected. Didn't open it as Auspost is the proper name. But apparently if you open it you get a bad Malware that locks your phone and I guess youd have to pay to get it unlocked. Like a ransom thing.

Got a call at my mum's place from an Indian gentle man claiming to be a " technician for your internet service provider " and that my connection appears to be hacked an has a problem. That's as far as it got when I hung up ( mum doesn't even have a connection anyway ). I read later they aim to get you on your computer and then down load some sort of remote app software from them. The annoying thing is I can imagine a lot of people especially older getting stung by this one.

I had a similar call a couple of years ago. The scammers want remote access to your computer and need you to set it up from your end.

I played along and acted as if I was having trouble following his instructions and needed to repeatedly start over.
In the end I told him I knew what he was up to, I hadn't even turned on my computer and that i knew that he was a scamming dog.
He actually got annoyed and told me I had wasted his time

There is also a 'Pay-pal' scam doing the rounds saying 'your account has been restricted due to suspicious activity' and to click here to ask what is going on.... Do Not Click that link, You will be Sorry... ]:D

LW...

Hello, is "Gail" there. If you do not answer we will be calling every day. And indeed they have been calling every day and I have a lovely chat for up to 10 minutes till they hang up. Bugger, I allways enjoy the chats. :)

Just got an email from Woolworths saying that they had some incorrectly labelled goods and I am entitled to a refund via my bank account, simply fill in my details and they will forward a refund. Last time I shopped at woollies I bought a loaf of bread and some soup veg. I could be in for a giant refund ha ha. :playful:

Our answering machine is what you will get unless we know the number, after 4 to 5 call a day from Telstra, Tax Office, Micorsoft to mention a few it answers after 4 rings so it annoys the scammers as they hopefully miss out on someone who did answer and also the Political calls during the last campaign, either leave a message or don't bother ringing.