old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
warrior707 said:
looks like some modern exploration has taken place in there given the conditon of some of the timbering and the flaging tape

The mine was under lease until 2011.

Last month we visited the historic mine town of Walhalla and found a very large multi level mine abandoned not far from the main road. "The town's name is taken from an early gold mine in the area, named for the German hall of fame, the Walhalla temple (Valhalla from Norse legend). As well as historical buildings, the township features many mines and mineshafts and the mountainous terrain is popular with hikers and bushwalkers. The Long Tunnel Extended Mine is open daily for tours underground to view the original gold workings, Cohens line of reef and the impressive machinery chamber carved out of the mountain." Hoping to return and explore some more mines in the area and to travel on the Walhalla Goldfields Railway. Train rides are operated over the restored section between Walhalla and the Thomson.

excellent stuff to see... :) I worry about the condition of that old shaft.. :/ bits could fall anytime and be fatal... :eek:

Thanks. I'm not the best person to ask for detecting. You could try one of the other forums.

Ahh diggers. What a marvelous trip down memory lane. I grew up in Victoria, left there about 40 years ago, and seeing those mines from Blackwood and Walhalla brings back a lot of memories.

My first memories of Blackwood, as a kid, was when they just got electricity, yeah so, I'm an old fart. Remember you could walk along the road after rain, while it was still wet, and dig colour out of the road with a pocket knife. Yep, all the roads were just dirt back then. And walking around in the bush was a very dangerous hobby. Mine shafts everywhere. Some had a bit of wire around them, others absolutely nothing. Few people gone missing up that way over the years along with pet dogs.

Walhalla is a fascinating place. Been through a lot of mines up there before they closed them off and made them tourist attractions. Methinks there is still a lot of the yellow stuff to be found up there. But an amazing place for sure. The cemetery is one of a kind with people buried standing up, or the grave dug in from the side of the hill. The cricket ground on top of the hill is another interesting item. Reckon if you hit a six it would end up down the bottom of the hill.

Now living in Qld and the government up here is not interested in small scale mining. And we don't have the interesting mining places like Blackwood and Walhalla where you can actually access old mines.

Anyway all you fellas keep up the good work and post your stories and pics so this old fart can trip down memory lane.

Phoenix76 said:
Ahh diggers. What a marvelous trip down memory lane. I grew up in Victoria, left there about 40 years ago, and seeing those mines from Blackwood and Walhalla brings back a lot of memories.

My first memories of Blackwood, as a kid, was when they just got electricity, yeah so, I'm an old fart. Remember you could walk along the road after rain, while it was still wet, and dig colour out of the road with a pocket knife. Yep, all the roads were just dirt back then. And walking around in the bush was a very dangerous hobby. Mine shafts everywhere. Some had a bit of wire around them, others absolutely nothing. Few people gone missing up that way over the years along with pet dogs.

Walhalla is a fascinating place. Been through a lot of mines up there before they closed them off and made them tourist attractions. Methinks there is still a lot of the yellow stuff to be found up there. But an amazing place for sure. The cemetery is one of a kind with people buried standing up, or the grave dug in from the side of the hill. The cricket ground on top of the hill is another interesting item. Reckon if you hit a six it would end up down the bottom of the hill.

Now living in Qld and the government up here is not interested in small scale mining. And we don't have the interesting mining places like Blackwood and Walhalla where you can actually access old mines.

Anyway all you fellas keep up the good work and post your stories and pics so this old fart can trip down memory lane.

Thanks for giving us your enjoyable account of Blackwood. It's always great to get some feed back on the forum. Blackwood is a great area to explore and visit old mines.

Mickybees said:
Nice pics mate ?? do u know of any good places to detect at Blackwood ? Cheers

Know all the mine locations , but good areas for detecting is not my speciality.

A selection of mines form the Castlemaine area. "Castlemaine is a former gold mining town, located between the cities of Ballarat and Bendigo and situated in a valley at the junction of three creeks. The Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park, to the south and east of town, covers 7,500 hectares and includes relics of the gold mining era. The Kalimna Tourist Road, on the eastern town boundary of Castlemaine, straddles a ridge through the park, offering scenic views across surrounding countryside and bushwalking opportunities."

Shoulda took the Castlemain boys down with you for a look(maybe), another brilliant photo shoot from the big adventure ,.... absolutely breathtaking ! 8) :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts