old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dwt said:
Howdy fellas, dean, are you guys mapping these old mines or just going in them for a look around? :)

Some mapping work has been done. Mostly we take photos and explore.

Reactions: dwt
The Devil's Kitchen: " There is a concentration of workings running north south in the east wall and flood plain of the Springdallah Creek. These workings extend along a length of approximately 600 m along the valley. Starting from the northern end there are approximately 15 adits into the wall of the creek valley. Only two are open and even then the openings are very small. Several could only be identified by the presence of mullock heaps and these heaps may even have been a second heap from an adit a little higher up. The adits are between 5 and 20 m apart. The area has been grazed for many years and many features associated with mining have been worn away. There is a section of collapsing stone wall below the northern end of these workings, and what may have been the formation of a road. This group of workings extends over a distance of 200 to 300 m. On the river flat below the adits at the southern end of these workings there are some small mounds of quartz wash between 3 and 5 m in diameter and approximately 1 m high. A little further west between the mounds of quartz wash and the creek there are between 10 and 20 shallow sinkings. South of the adit workings described, for a further 100 m the creek valley wall is eroded away in a group of gutters which may have been caused by another set of adit workings, although it appears that there has been some sluicing or washing of material at this site. There are some large conglomerate rocks on the surface here as well as a few pillars of ground that contain wash dirt. On the creek flats below the valley walls near these workings are the remains of a stone walled building 6 m long by 3m wide. A few sections of the lower parts of some wall still remain, as well as a scatter of basalt rocks.

There is a badly corroded wrought iron ore truck near this structure. Approximately 50 m further south the formation of a track runs up and across the slope in a northerly direction before turning and completing the climb up the slope in a southerly direction. On the southern side of the track formation at the base of the valley wall the largest and most open adit in this area has been driven into the valley wall. The cutting leading into the adit is 15 to 20 m long and the mullock heap at the end of the cutting is 10 m long spreading out to be 10 m wide at its base.

This is an interesting collection of workings and may be one of the largest concentrations of adits in this mining district, the landscape is impressive and open. It is not hidden by any tree cover.

Further work is required to determine which companies put in the adits. The Try Again is likely to have been responsible for the large one near the track, but their main working was from a shaft located within Devil's Kitchen."

Great pics as always Dean keep them coming champ. Your always welcome in the cruiser, we love it that your part of our Team at The Victorian Historical Mine Shaft Chasers. Don't forget to like our page on Facebook you guys! Love the forum.. :D

Loved reading about your adventures and seeing the photos. How often do you reach the actual mine face? I think it would be quite surreal to stand in the place where they called it quits 100 years earlier.

Also, are the marks on the walls in lots of the pictures actually pick marks?

I have read all 36 pages of this thread over the long weekend and really appreciate you guys sharing your adventures.

Hi dean, I was at that mine a couple of weeks ago. It was a shame seeing all the grafitti and rubbish scattered around.

MS64Xi9.jpg

You should check out the adits in the misery creek area. Some like the birthday mines have minor collapses but I'm sure they're still passable.

Raymo said:
Great pics as always Dean keep them coming champ. Your always welcome in the cruiser, we love it that your part of our Team at The Victorian Historical Mine Shaft Chasers. Don't forget to like our page on Facebook you guys! Love the forum.. :D
I saw you lads about 2 months ago (well not people, just your trucks) in the enfield state forest. You were parked around a track probably looking for the same adit as I.

Great pics Dean, I see that my ladder is still in place :)
I just thought I should let you and other forum members know that there have been some recent rock falls in the level where the ladder takes you.
I have been in there three times in the last six months and will not be returning again.
I believe it has become to unstable .
Just some advice as a result of my observations.
Cheers Steve

lenners said:
Hi dean, I was at that mine a couple of weeks ago. It was a shame seeing all the grafitti and rubbish scattered around.

You should check out the adits in the misery creek area. Some like the birthday mines have minor collapses but I'm sure they're still passable.

Thanks - we will put this on the shopping list.

stoyve said:
I just thought I should let you and other forum members know that there have been some recent rock falls in the level where the ladder takes you.
I have been in there three times in the last six months and will not be returning again.
Cheers Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve. The entire mine is unsafe and there was at least one death in there during it's construction. Reaching the back section above the ladder is not easy and mounting a rescue operation would be very difficult and dangerous. I'm told there is another stope above the main section that may have an air shaft leading to the surface , but I have not been in there. At some stage I would like to walk over the hill on the outside and conduct observations.

This is a large multi-levelled mine in Blackwood. The main top drive has collapsed several hundreds metres inside. A winze ( shaft ) takes you down to lower workings and drives. On the bottom level a drive exits you out to the creek but is currently flooded.

dean65 said:
stoyve said:
Cheers Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve. The entire mine is unsafe and there was at least one death in there during it's construction. Reaching the back section above the ladder is not easy and mounting a rescue operation would be very difficult and dangerous. I'm told there is another stope above the main section that may have an air shaft leading to the surface , but I have not been in there. At some stage I would like to walk over the hill on the outside and conduct observations.

Sounds like a plan Dean,
I might come with you when I get some more time.
I've been so busy of late.
Also great pics once again of the multi level mine at Blackwood mate. I really love the last pic.
Cheers steve

Amazing photos. You see things I will never see. Old deep mines. Great.

looks like some modern exploration has taken place in there given the conditon of some of the timbering and the flaging tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts