old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally awesome photos guys I really cant express how much I would love to explore all the old mines though I must admit my main fascination with looking down these old shafts are more about the crib rooms and what gets left behind , do you guys ever come across old codd bottles or old clay bottles or anything like that anyway thanks again for sharing still wishing I was there on your journey but I guess we all are all on your journey buy viewing this thread, Have you guys made any videos that we can also watch cos that would be pretty kewl.. Greencheeks

greencheeks77 said:
Totally awesome photos guys I really cant express how much I would love to explore all the old mines though I must admit my main fascination with looking down these old shafts are more about the crib rooms and what gets left behind , do you guys ever come across old codd bottles or old clay bottles or anything like that anyway thanks again for sharing still wishing I was there on your journey but I guess we all are all on your journey buy viewing this thread, Have you guys made any videos that we can also watch cos that would be pretty kewl.. Greencheeks

We have found old bottles , mine carts and other ancient mine articles. Sadly, most of the mines were looted decades ago. We have made a number of videos which you may enjoy viewing.

https://youtu.be/jPKHvYppqug

https://youtu.be/X8UMA4JIN70

https://youtu.be/XJVEDz5GuX8

Boyz those vids are just like what I had in mind ;) You know if you guys ever need an extra pair of hands you can always call me haha there's a couple of shafts at Benalla you guys might like to explore one day, I was hoping to get around to it but I don't have a daring enough buddy so it lays waiting for another day. Just to go a bit off topic once I was taken to an old mine up past bright way up on the side of a mountain and had a collapsed entrance with a tiny crawl through that one could of just slipped through to get in it had tram track just inside as you peaked through with a torch anyway my friend found what appeared to be a brass tram spike with his detector and I am just curious have you lot ever found brass tram spikes in any of the mines or does anyone reading this know why the spikes were made of brass and not just cheap metal ones? well thanx again guys the videos are excellent and very much appreciated Greencheeks

greencheeks77 said:
does anyone reading this know why the spikes were made of brass and not just cheap metal ones?

They really hate rust?

Here is a modern one I picked up while out and about a few weeks back.

1455457396_spi.jpg

1455457396_spi2.jpg

greencheeks77 said:
Boyz those vids are just like what I had in mind ;) You know if you guys ever need an extra pair of hands you can always call me haha there's a couple of shafts at Benalla you guys might like to explore one day, I was hoping to get around to it but I don't have a daring enough buddy so it lays waiting for another day. Just to go a bit off topic once I was taken to an old mine up past bright way up on the side of a mountain and had a collapsed entrance with a tiny crawl through that one could of just slipped through to get in it had tram track just inside as you peaked through with a torch anyway my friend found what appeared to be a brass tram spike with his detector and I am just curious have you lot ever found brass tram spikes in any of the mines or does anyone reading this know why the spikes were made of brass and not just cheap metal ones? well thanx again guys the videos are excellent and very much appreciated Greencheeks

heres some of ones I have done so far https://web.facebook.com/groups/384822855009900/?fref=ts and much more pics

Just a friendly word about rail spikes and other objects you may see in the mines.
They are all part of the historical record of our mining past and should be left where you find them.
This is also Victorian law.
I have seen so many artifacts taken from mines that I'm very careful about who I take in them now.
So please leave anything you see where you find it.
Except for gold that is.
Cheers Steve ;)

stoyve said:
Just a friendly word about rail spikes and other objects you may see in the mines.
They are all part of the historical record of our mining past and should be left where you find them.
This is also Victorian law.
I have seen so many artifacts taken from mines that I'm very careful about who I take in them now.
So please leave anything you see where you find it.
Except for gold that is.
Cheers Steve ;)

"All Historic mining sites are an important part of our State's and nation's cultural heritage.

The remaining features, artefacts and the surrounding landscape help us understand how people lived and worked at these places.

Please help protect this heritage for present and future generations by leaving sites as found.

It is an offence to:
*damage or remove artefacts and historic features
*disturb archaeological values by digging.

All historic mining sites in Victoria are protected under the Heritage Act, 1995."

I hear you stoyve I should of mentioned the spike was placed back to its original spot as we were only interested in any nuggets that were laying around and unfortunately we had no luck in that department :lol: but a good trip all the same.. Hunting the yellow that's some pretty awesome adventures you go on I really enjoy watching raw footage it kinda puts you right there I always find myself leaning in towards the screen trying to look down the shafts ;) pretty kewl Guy's..

That Spike is the same shape Magneticsand as the one ol mate found but I remember it being a very clean brassy looking colour I remember laughing at him and saying imagine if it was gold and not brass :lol: I thought that's how some might of hid their gold from anyone finding it until its time to abandon the mine and move on. a lot of old dog spikes get tossed away and end up anywhere and everywhere you find a few kicking around antique shops and people also make like coat racks with them to get a rustic feel to their product, again thanx heaps for sharing guys

The Cut Throat Mine is a very popular attraction in Creswick. " Legend has it the miner had sunk everything he had into this mine to try and cash in on some of the gold in the area and after all his money was gone and no gold what so ever was found. He went down the mine to the furthest point and ended it all with a cut throat razor."

dean65 said:
stoyve said:
Gday Dean,
I've noticed that there's been even more mining going on in recent months at some of my old favorites including the bridge of death mine.
I hope that these prospectors are showing respect to the history of these mines.
I would hate to see there character changed.
Cheers Steve

Hi Steve. Good to hear from you again.

Mining going on in recent months at some of my old favourites is disappointing to see. If these people are caught they will be in serious trouble.

"All Historic mining sites are an important part of our State's and nation's cultural heritage.

The remaining features, artefacts and the surrounding landscape help us understand how people lived and worked at these places.

Please help protect this heritage for present and future generations by leaving sites as found.

It is an offence to:
*damage or remove artefacts and historic features
*disturb archaeological values by digging.

All historic mining sites in Victoria are protected under the Heritage Act, 1995."

Sounds very risky, if it's illegal, why would anybody do it???? :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts