old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read the comment on the picture mbasko it was the first mine we discovered, we discovered that mine whilst out deer hunting back in the day hence having a high powered rifle ( the picture was taken just inside the entrance. Obviously the guy holding his rifle didn't want to leave it out side of the mine.

Mod Edit.
Very sensible thing with Firearms

I was thinking the same thing, why the heavy artillery. If you blokes were the only people in the area why not leave the gun on top just in case old mate slipped and bang one accident or some one stole it.
Just sayin.
Mackka

Yea in the discription I probably should of alaborated on why the gun was in the picture, it was just a opportunity picture so was not intended into being showed to anyone else apart from close friends and family. I was going though pictures of mines that I had and thought I would put that picture up seeing as how I wouldn't have any interest in gold prospecting if it wasn't for that day. If you look at the picture the bolt is shut, 7 live rounds were on the stock (single shot) The other two guns are leaning against the entrance and the bloke with the gun was having a dart out side when he was called in for a pic, I guess he just ran in for the snap then went back out to Finnish his smoke. Thank you for showing your concern though Mackka :D

ballaratgold said:
If you read the comment on the picture mbasko it was the first mine we discovered, we discovered that mine whilst out deer hunting back in the day hense having a high powered rifle ( the picture was taken just inside the entrance. Obviously the guy holding his rifle didn't want to leave it out side of the mine. If you have nothing good to say then say nothing.
Well that explains it a bit better then. I was thinking we have a live one here - pun intended. :D

You seem pretty genuine. Guns don't worry me - offbeat comments etc. with them do.
I wouldn't be too disappointed with the remark - they could have been much worse :eek:

I removed the image.
I myself like a lot of other people used to enjoy a shot or two out in the boon docks.
And as a mark of respect, I only removed the image but left the comment there.

Good Idea.
That took a lot of work to clean up without destroying the flow of conversation.
Back to exploring dark holes eh. ? 8) :D

In the end I guess its what you become comfortable with [going down holes I mean] Here in the Copper Coast of South Australia, our copper mines are filled with water and getting close to them just means you end up with a guts full of Iron Sulphide, I think it is [rotten egg gas]. I grew up here and all us kids were told to stay away from the mines, they'll collapse, etc etc. but it didn't stop us from cruising around setting rabbit traps and generally just being kids. But dear God, I never, never, never, climbed down into the mines because the gas was stinking at ground level, getting closer to the water just made it even stronger. And we all knew of stories of people and kids who had drowned after chasing pigeons in the mines.

For those of you who venture into the depths, you have my greatest admiration. I'm not sure gold in the depths of the earth is that important for me to go down an unknown hole.

Good luck to those who do it!

Great pics. Thanks for posting.
ive never been down a shaft, have found a few up here, but im not going down them! Lol!
A bit critical of the young bloke with a rifle I thought.
I certainly don, t see a macho pose with it. You should never, ever, leave an unsecured firearm out of your sight. When im hunting, mine never leaves my person, untill its unloaded, bolt removed, and locked away in the car.
I have found some interesting things , unrelated to hunting, when ive been out, and ive photographed them while I was there.
Anyway, those ballerat mines look interesting, could there still be a chance that there is some gold left in them? Is it worth detecting them?

Just spent a lot of time cleaning this fantastic thread up.
Negativity is removed.
Back to it people but please, No bagging out.
My delete fingers are getting weary. LOL
Not to mention the brain cells. LOL
Thank You.
Doug

Wow, this is a great inner earth exploration thread ,... love it ! :D 8)

Some photos from the disused and abandoned underground Kaolin mines to the south of Ballarat at LalLal. ( " The term kaolin is typically used for clayey material that is low in iron content and is white or nearly white and composed of minerals of the kaolin group. Victorian kaolin is used in paper manufacture as a filler and coating material; as a filler in paints, rubber and plastics; and in ceramics and refractory clays that can withstand high temperatures." )

I like the way it's all left up in the air as you head into the abyss ! :p

The Central Deborah Gold Mine is located at 76 Violet St, Bendigo. You can descend 61 metres beneath the surface of Bendigo and explore the second level of this mine. They also offer tours of the deeper levels. These photos are from the second level tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts