old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great pics. Hey was just wondering if you can take some pics of the water levels next time your out as i'm thinking of logging the levels to see what's happening with the ground water? Any pic will do. If there is a stained rock above the water that would be even better.

Will take some pics of the water levels for you next time. At Blackwood we have noticed that a number of the mines have become drier in recent weeks. We are now in drought and the water tables are probably going down.

Brilliant Observation with that :D
Always had me thinking when I was a bit clueless in younger days as to why a shaft or drive right at the top of a hill could be full of water.
Perculation is a word that comes to mind with a harder layer underneath that retains water longer.
Interesting. :D

Great photos mate.
1450343705_1476364148.gif

Tathradj said:
Brilliant Observation with that :D
Always had me thinking when I was a bit clueless in younger days as to why a shaft or drive right at the top of a hill could be full of water.
Perculation is a word that comes to mind with a harder layer underneath that retains water longer.
Interesting. :D

its 2 things 1 water table 2 if its 500m up on a hill and the actual depth of the shaft is say 20meters deep then its not the water table but solid/dense rock that the water can not penetrate and soaked up like a sponge. so it builds up water over time and you have your self a shaft that's 20m deep but the rock is so dense or fine grained that it won't allow water to seep through it

Just had an amusing thought.... Bout a million years from now someone will be excavating the still intact mine and examining the weird boot print fossils left in wet clay/silt layer.

Have you guys ever thought what you might be leaving behind in these mines for distant future archaeologists to find and argue about the meaning.?

I know, weird thought but meh I'm bored. :p

Hey Dean,
I never thought I'd see you cave diving and abseiling all in one year.
Good on you for getting into it as you have.
Top pics mate.
Cheers Steve.
ps: you better get an underwater housing for your camera if you keep this up.

For our Christmas treat we visited a special mine near Kilmore. A feature of this working is the fact the drive takes you across the top of a stope and and several deep shafts. The old boards you walk on are now covered with dirt. Inexperienced visitors are unaware they are not on solid ground. This is a multi-levelled mine with several entrances , declines and rises.

This is the second part to our Christmas visit to Kilmore. We encountered a large multi-levelled mine with stope and winze. The lower section had been flooded but is now drier and we hope to return with climbing gear to explore further.

Great pics Mr Hunting The Yellow. ! Especially, like the one with the ladder. Don't remember seeing the trams tracks.

G day all new to forum this topic is amazing I was at Blackwood yesterday detecting and came across the mine with the open gate we went in and ended up coming out about 300 meters arundel the other side of mountain it was amazing to see the different minerals we had a experienced miner with us that new the mine well no luck detecting but can't wait to return to this gem of town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts