old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HI Steve, It wall be good to see you again. Plenty of mines to explore. Dean.

Hi Guys,
Stumbled across this forum yesterday and it inspired me to go check out some areas.

Found two mines south of Blackwood today

The first one as you can see here was very open with any past tunnels being filled with junk (The area to the right was a dead end and the left looked to go further but was filled over)

1442501536_20150917_104742.jpg

The second mine however went straight into the side of the hill for a good 100m before splitting in two. One path ended shortly after while the other, turned 90 before becoming too dargerous to continue along by myself (falled bedrock and butresses). It is quite possible this collapsed path came out in the blocked entrance of the first mine.

1442502040_20150917_123354.jpg

1442502041_20150917_124504.jpg

1442502041_20150917_130543.jpg

1442502042_20150917_130549.jpg

1442502043_20150917_130646.jpg

Would love to explore more so any locations would be appreciated!

You have done well to find all those old workings. You were wise to discontinue your lone journey at the more dangerous part of the drive. As workings age, the backs (roofs) of passageways and chambers can fail. In doing so, the collapsed area itself is no longer accessible and any workings beyond that point will become inaccessibe if there remains no other way around.

dyland said:
Hi Guys,
Stumbled across this forum yesterday and it inspired me to go check out some areas.

Found two mines south of Blackwood today

The first one as you can see here was very open with any past tunnels being filled with junk (The area to the right was a dead end and the left looked to go further but was filled over)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6106/1442501536_20150917_104742.jpg

The second mine however went straight into the side of the hill for a good 100m before splitting in two. One path ended shortly after while the other, turned 90 before becoming too dargerous to continue along by myself (falled bedrock and butresses). It is quite possible this collapsed path came out in the blocked entrance of the first mine.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6106/1442502040_20150917_123354.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6106/1442502041_20150917_124504.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6106/1442502041_20150917_130543.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6106/1442502042_20150917_130549.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6106/1442502043_20150917_130646.jpg

Would love to explore more so any locations would be appreciated!

i know that mine that's the red and blue mine at blackwood

There are a number of potential hazards that mine explorers face: drive and chamber backs and walls can also destabilize. Support timber props, ladders and other similar structures may appear safe but could have degraded.

G0lddigg@ said:
You fellas are mad... if i see water im out lol

It was just a quick trip in and out to get some photos. Not a mine I would recommend people visit.

Tathradj said:
ever find a winze under water like that. ?

There was a winze in the stope room at the end of the drive and it was underwater. A winze is a minor connection between different levels in an underground mine. When worked upwards from a lower level it is usually called a raise; when sunk downward from a higher level it may be called a sump.

After reading that a newbie came across this thread and went out exploring mines too I have to say something. Do not copy these idiots. I can guarantee they dont have confined space tickets and hence the required training and equipment to be doing this. I have never seen any of you carrying a gas detector which would be the first piece of mandatory safety equipment for every man, and its just plain stupid to be in some of the places you are showing in these pictures. I was going to point out all the saftey issues in the photos but it would take me a month there are that many. Promoting this on the internet is just retarded.
I am a full time miner with all the proper training and equipment and know what im talking about, these blokes will end up dead eventually doing this.

someone's gotta do it,.. I can't see all the photos from here on this thread, but the ones I can see certainly wouldn't get put here for us all by some goverment official going down a hole and showing us all how it's done properly,... perhaps ILikeGold, from within your position of knowledge, you could PM the guys on here that are kersplunking(almost) and such with a good list of safety instruction so as to help improve their survival rate to an acceptable level,... and a list of where they could aquire any safety equipment(and its terminology),... that way we would see an improved qaulity of safety and survival emanateing from within the photo shoots and the texts themselves,... that way we would see a self explanitory assesment of the inherent dangers going on that would keep the uninitiated at the doorways of these mines instead of the unwary heading down into the dark like a bull at a gate chasing heifer dreams(golden dreams and adventure in these cases),... best to help everyone set great examples,... but it's also good to see your point of view about just how dangerous this past time is and can be,... I do like the strength of the message that you've put forward, and I'm sure no one will take any pesonal offence as to the wording.
On another note.
Just yesterday I heard through the window as I went to a friends place "There's some old guy here",...Ha, first time for me,.. but no offence taken(was another visitor I'd never met,..bloke about thirty years old,.. it'll hapen to him too one day(hee hee),... just letting you all know that there's a first time for everything,... it just slid off like water off a ducks back,... although i now know I must at least look like an old guy(ha). :D

ILikeGold said:
After reading that a newbie came across this thread and went out exploring mines too I have to say something. Do not copy these idiots. I can guarantee they dont have confined space tickets and hence the required training and equipment to be doing this. I have never seen any of you carrying a gas detector which would be the first piece of mandatory safety equipment for every man, and its just plain stupid to be in some of the places you are showing in these pictures. I was going to point out all the saftey issues in the photos but it would take me a month there are that many. Promoting this on the internet is just retarded.
I am a full time miner with all the proper training and equipment and know what im talking about, these blokes will end up dead eventually doing this.

ive worked in mines crystal king Thompson's and dug my own shafts well aware of the dangers we do have a gas detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts