Nth NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here. Been a member for a few years now, thought I'd stop being so lazy and post something. I like to get out around here (nth nsw) a bit for a look around, see what I can find. I check through these forums from time to time, not to raid anyone elses spot or anything, but to maybe pick up some ideas which could be helpful in the spots I like to go. And I'll read pretty much anything to do with finding gold haha.
Lismore is my base, so you could say that Drake is the area I mostly look around. Mostly panning, some detecting, rock collecting. Plenty of old mines to explore around there too.

Welcome gragagan, as you've been a lurker for a while you'll know there's a heap of info available to you on these pages.
More importantly by contributing to discussions you'll build up a rapport with others and no doubt make some great contacts.
I know I have, great community on here.
Cheers T.

Welcome to the page.

Did you spend any time panning the Timbarra River , Clarence , or Pretty Gully Creek ?

Further away i have panned the Williams River and Chichester , they both have very nice gold but its hard digging , the river gravels can be many metres deep and i think the best gold is on the bedrock , i never got deeper than 6 feet down because the water level causes cave ins back in the hole.

To dig deeper the hole gets 3 feet wider to every foot of depth you go down.

Thanks for the welcome :) .

Only tried a few samples from shallow crevices in easy access spots (ie next to the main road) in the Timbarra and Clarence, a few tiny specks. There's lots of info on minview website, search for mechanical deposits under mineral deposit classification. A lot of the rivers / creeks have gold, but they were all hit pretty hard by the old timers. And access is difficult, lots of private property.

Had a drive past the Pretty Gully area last week on the way to Paddys Flat. No obvious access (except the road crossing at the top). It sounds like a spot worth trying. If I was you I'd be concentrating there, private property means it may not have been prospected since the old timers. It could be good, but it could be no good.

I'm still learning about the area myself, trying different spots, finding new (old) mines. There's always somewhere else to look away from the popular spots (which are mentioned on this site elsewhere numerous times, but get hit hard). So I'm no expert on the area myself. I'm sure there's others here that know a lot more than me.

Good luck with the hunting

Latest posts