Night detecting with the Explorer SE Pro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice haul GP - sorry to hear you are leaving Adelaide but I am looking forward to seeing what you dig up in the South East - should be less competition and more spots yet to be detected, let alone the beaches! Maybe we could reunite Team Bogan down your way for a swing - I'm sure we will be going on a detecting holiday in the future and would love to catch up for a visit!

Thanks Paul, it will be a good change of scenery despite the beaches not being so close by. Though might need a waterproof detector for those cold wet winter days. There are a few members down this way, so hopefully might catch up with some of them. :)

Feels like it has been forever since my last run into the field, but since I have moved down to the SE of SA, I couldn't think of a better place to start than the back yard of my new residence. Not knowing the age of the house, I hit up the yard firstly with the Joey coil to locate some of the shallower targets, and hopefully find something to guestimate the age.

First up were some metal roses, not sure what they were off, but there were parts of it all over the place, secondly were a pair of Lesney cars - both a Morris Minor and a Morgan in great condition, and thirdly, several coins including a 1941 hp. The rest was mostly junk, but I am in hope of finding more pre-decs going by tonight's short effort.

Will wack the 11" coil back on once finished both front and back yard with the smaller coil. ;)

1428933980_mg1.jpg

1428934004_mg2.jpg

1428934025_mg3.jpg

1428934050_mg4.jpg

You don't have to wait til nightfall to detect your backyard GP do you? lol

I have missed your commentary and glad to see you are back at it! Not missing anything here - still sanded in big time!

Paulmarr said:
You don't have to wait til nightfall to detect your backyard GP do you? lol

I have missed your commentary and glad to see you are back at it! Not missing anything here - still sanded in big time!

Nah, just the only time I had free to pull out the detector, have been unpacking for the last two days, and am still currently unpacking. It's amazing how much gear you accumulate when owning a larger house, and then try to cram it in a house 3/4 the size. :eek:

At least the soil down here is nice and damp, Adelaide tends to be bone dry for a fair period making detecting a no go in many areas.

The beaches are a bit far away here, so I don't think I will be indulging in that area of detecting very often. Will probably look at getting a PI gold detector eventually once settled, still don't know what budget I have to work with (consultation with the other half). :)

Cars are good enough to do back up to original(new hobby of restoration for you).

silver said:
Cars are good enough to do back up to original(new hobby of restoration for you).

They are certainly some of the better Lesney cars that I have found, complete with non rusted axles and intact wheels, really just the paintwork that requires attention (though the morgan is missing a part off the front & spare wheel). Might look good displayed on a shelf somewhere.

Had my first detect away from the house the other night, and gee was it cold - might take my thermals out next time, maybe I am being too much of a wuss. :p

Picked up my second pocket watch of the year, looks to be the centre section and silver plated over copper (Made in the US). Also got my first silver since the move, a blackened but good condition 1952 Rams head shilling.

The the left of the photo are two shilling sized lead "coins", they were stuck together but still have no idea what they represent?

Underneath the shilling is what I thought was a large ornate button, but might actually be a winder for some sort of mechanism - will get some better pics up later for a more detailed look. Other items inclde a chunk of lead, 5.56 & 7.62 shell casings, lots of aluminium, and some decimal coinage. :)

1429350227_20150417_0134332.jpg

1429350275_20150417_0136232.jpg

Could be part of a spring loaded mechanism for storing coins.

Hopefully one if these, you had better go back an see if the contents are still available.

1429351606_image.jpg

Nice idea Wally, but I think it is for winding something up considering it has serrated sides for grip, and a square centre post for turning some sort of shaft. Either way, it is a real nice find looking at the ornate design of a pair of dragons, amongst other detail. Here is a closer look, any other ideas?

1429352939_mghunt_5.jpg

Thats a significant find that piece. Very unique havent seen that design before. Looks like two sea horses ?

treasureman said:
Thats a significant find that piece. Very unique havent seen that design before. Looks like two sea horses ?

Big nasty beastie head and wings, so not seahorses. Wish I had my magnifying lamp here to read the symbol at the middle bottom, then is also a six pronged star at the top.

Another short hunt tonight, only a couple of coins pulled from the ground, with best find of the night being a 1947 florin, though a wee bit bent. Other items include a Shell fuel cap, small cog??, another coin sized lead piece, and a large strangely shaped piece of lead - no ideas on that one. :)

1429456991_img_2015042037512.jpg

1429457003_img_2015042051529.jpg

1429457015_img_2015042043919.jpg

1429457625_img_201504206287.jpg
:D

Latest posts